There was no hurricane in the UK

Old October 29th 13, 12:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
John Ross Mc Master

Default There was no hurricane in the UK

From the BBC so it must be the truth

BBC weather forecaster Michael Fish was left famously red-faced when,
on the eve of the Great Storm of 1987, he assured the British public
there would be no "hurricane".

Though he failed to predict a ferocious storm was about to turn north
and hit the UK, he was correct on the hurricane point.

Britain cannot experience hurricanes - the word is used for tropical
cyclones when they form in the Atlantic and north-east Pacific.

These are low pressure systems which develop over tropical or
sub-tropical waters - not the cold waters around Britain - which
become "cyclones" once wind speeds reach 74mph (119km/h).

If a hurricane did head for Britain it would be reclassified as an
"extra tropical storm" before arriving.

Such storms can be powerful - but even if the winds exceeded 74mph it
would not be called a hurricane.

In any case the storm currently expected to hit the UK is no such
thing. Far from forming over warm waters, it is expected to form close
to the coast before hitting the South West and heading across the
country.
Old October 29th 13, 01:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_3_]

On 10/28/2013 7:50 PM, John Ross Mc Master wrote:
From the BBC so it must be the truth

[...]

I only just heard about this powerful storm today. I hope all of my
Brit friends and pets are ok and safe!

--
CAPSLOCK–Preventing Login Since 1980.
Old October 29th 13, 03:49 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
John F. Eldredge

On Mon, 28 Oct 2013 16:50:49 -0700, John Ross Mc Master wrote:

From the BBC so it must be the truth

[...]

So, if a tropical storm forms over the Atlantic, grows to have winds
strong enough to classify it as a hurricane, and the winds were still
moving at hurricane speeds when it reaches Britain, it would not be
classed as a hurricane? The usage in America is to continue to call such
a storm a hurricane as long as the winds are above 74 mph.

--
John F. Eldredge --
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that.
Old October 29th 13, 07:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"John Ross Mc Master" wrote in message
From the BBC so it must be the truth

[...]

The Beaufort scale classifies 74 mph+ wind speeds as "hurricane force" so
as far as I am concerned we had a hurricane.

Old October 29th 13, 07:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"John Ross Mc Master" wrote in message
From the BBC so it must be the truth

[...]

I'm sure that everybody who experienced it, even on the fringes, would agree
with you.

--
Joy

Lovely river gum
Spreading by dry river bed
Calls out to my soul.
-- Australia Haiku by Joy Gaylord

Old October 29th 13, 08:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 10/29/2013 2:39 PM, Joy wrote:
"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"John Ross Mc Master" wrote in message
From the BBC so it must be the truth

[...]

I have to wonder about eople who snicker at 75-80MPH winds. Trust me,
you don't want to be outside (much less on a beach) when the wind is
blowing that hard. Perhaps a better term would be gale force wind. I
wouldn't be outside in that, either.

Jill ---who lives in a U.S. hurricane area
Old October 29th 13, 09:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"jmcquown" wrote in message
On 10/29/2013 2:39 PM, Joy wrote:
"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"John Ross Mc Master" wrote in message
From the BBC so it must be the truth

[...]

It was not a gale force wind (google for Beaufort Scale of wind speeds)
It was a ** expletive hurricane ( unless there is a difference between
hurricane force winds and a hurricane.}
Whatever, some Brits have died in this "not a hurricane"

Tweed

Old October 29th 13, 09:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

jmcquown wrote:

I have to wonder about eople who snicker at 75-80MPH winds. Trust me,
you don't want to be outside (much less on a beach) when the wind is
blowing that hard. Perhaps a better term would be gale force wind. I
wouldn't be outside in that, either.

Jill ---who lives in a U.S. hurricane area

CBS News last night showed a segment from Brussels where people were
actually being knocked over by the high winds! (That's a pretty bad
storm, what does it matter what you call it?)
Old October 29th 13, 11:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"jmcquown" wrote in message
On 10/29/2013 2:39 PM, Joy wrote:
"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"John Ross Mc Master" wrote in message
From the BBC so it must be the truth

[...]

I agree. I've never experienced wind that strong, and hope I never do. I
live in Southern California, where our Santa Ana winds sometimes get up to
50 MPH. That's more than enough wind for me, thank you. Aside from
everything else, wind exacerbates my allergies, and, more important, the
cats hate it.

Joy

Old October 30th 13, 12:53 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"jmcquown" wrote in message
On 10/29/2013 2:39 PM, Joy wrote:
"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"John Ross Mc Master" wrote in message
From the BBC so it must be the truth

[...]

Why are you being so contrary? I was agreeing with you. Gale force is
quite high winds. We have a different scale in the US for hurricanes.
But windspeed is windspeed. 80MPH isn't anything to snicker about.

Jill

hurricane update Ann Cat anecdotes 6 August 31st 11 10:12 PM
hurricane conniepo Cat community 13 August 29th 11 11:58 AM
OT HURRICANE JOKES Matthew Cat anecdotes 0 August 29th 06 08:52 PM
Hurricane Jean Hobbs Cat anecdotes 33 August 19th 04 04:55 PM
Hurricane? Karen Cat anecdotes 6 August 18th 04 02:25 AM