Getting Fixed

Old January 4th 04, 02:32 PM
.oO rach Oo.

Default Getting Fixed

I have two young kittens... 3 months and 7 months. A few weeks ago, I posted
that the 7 month old was in heat. She has an appointment for tomorrow for
her fixing and I just had a few questions for those of you that know.

The two cats play a lot together... sometimes roughly so I was wondering if
it's best to separate them for a few days while Delilah recovers. She is
having her operation done with Laser method so the nurse said there would be
minimal blood loss, less discomfort etc.

Also, although it's only day surgery, I am worried that the younger kitten
(Stella) will fret without her sister here and what to do about that.

I know these sound like stupid questions and I've had cats all my life but I
am a new kitten mom and since they were both animal rescues, I worry about
causing them any more trauma than they've already seen in their young lives.

TIA

--
rach

"Hipsters - UNITE!"

Old January 4th 04, 03:42 PM
Gail

I would observe her when she gets home. The other kitten may not bother her
and they might just be happy to be together.
gail

Old January 4th 04, 04:20 PM
Judy F

The questions don't sound stupid, you're worried about your kitties! The
best you can do about the younger kitten is try to pay attention, play with
her, etc until her sister comes home. Then she's not totally abandoned! As
for when Delilah comes home, if you can keep an eye on them and make sure
they don't play rough it should be fine. Most kittens bounce back from the
surgery very quickly!

Judy F

Old January 4th 04, 04:41 PM
William Hamblen

On 2004-01-04, .oO rach Oo. wrote:

The two cats play a lot together... sometimes roughly so I was wondering if
it's best to separate them for a few days while Delilah recovers. She is
having her operation done with Laser method so the nurse said there would be
minimal blood loss, less discomfort etc.

It's a good idea to keep Delilah in a separate room with food, water
and litter box until her stitches are removed. The cat will have had
major surgery and needs to heal, although they get over the operation
very quickly. There's less discomfort, swelling, chance of hemorrhage
or infection, etc. if you can keep Delilah quiet. That means no running
around with Stella. Cats don't seem to experience much pain after the
operation so you basically have to confine them against their will.
It's for their own good, but they don't understand that.

Also, although it's only day surgery, I am worried that the younger kitten
(Stella) will fret without her sister here and what to do about that.

She'll get over it.

Old January 4th 04, 04:41 PM
William Hamblen

Old January 5th 04, 09:54 PM
Sharon Talbert

Why not get them spayed on the same day? They are both old enough for the
procedure (8 weeks is old enough, by the way), and it will save you having
to deal with another young cat in heat come spring.

Sharon Talbert
Friends of Campus Cats