New? Iams commercial

Old July 23rd 06, 03:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jo Firey

Default New? Iams commercial

New to me anyway. Shows cat being adopted, eating Iams, diving from top of
bookcase, opening doors, and waking owner. "her furry alarm clock"

I know most cat owners have experiences in common, but whoever wrote this
commercial I'm thinking has been lurking around here.

Just the whole tone felt that way.

As it is the Advantage commercial always catches my eye as the Border Collie
they use looks a lot like Kayla.

Jo

Old July 23rd 06, 08:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Jo Firey wrote:

New to me anyway. Shows cat being adopted, eating Iams, diving from top of
bookcase, opening doors, and waking owner. "her furry alarm clock"

I think it IS quite new - I saw it for the first time last
night. Definitely originated with a genuine cat-slave, IMO!

As it is the Advantage commercial always catches my eye as the Border Collie
they use looks a lot like Kayla.

I liked that commericial better before they put in the
annoying "voice over" (comparing Advantage to Frontline)
which masks the delightful bird trio's singing on the
birdbath before they fly away! The company should have
trusted the original ad as it was, IMO.

What ever happened to the custom of never mentioning a rival
product in a firm's own commericials? I remember there was
once quite a to-do because the irreverent W. C. Fields
(whose radio show was sponsored by Lucky Strike cigarettes)
kept referring to his nephew, Chester, in his monologues.
Someone at the sponsor's offices finally tumbled to the fact
that would mean the nephew's name was Chester Fields!
("Chesterfield" was a rival brand.)

Old July 23rd 06, 09:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl

On Sun 23 Jul 2006 10:53:54a, Jo Firey wrote in
rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
. com):

New to me anyway. Shows cat being adopted, eating Iams, diving
from top of bookcase, opening doors, and waking owner. "her
furry alarm clock"

I know most cat owners have experiences in common, but whoever
wrote this commercial I'm thinking has been lurking around here.

Just the whole tone felt that way.

I haven't seen the commercial but I wish I hadn't tried doing a
search for the video online. I'm sickened by what comes up when you
search for "iams tv commercial". Yes, they were PETA videos but no
one can actually make this stuff without it really happening. I
can't see how it was faked, even by PETA.

--
Cheryl

"Think occasionally of the suffering of which you spare yourself
the sight."
- Albert Schweitzer
Old July 23rd 06, 09:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jo Firey

"Cheryl" wrote in message
On Sun 23 Jul 2006 10:53:54a, Jo Firey wrote in
rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
. com):

New to me anyway. Shows cat being adopted, eating Iams, diving
from top of bookcase, opening doors, and waking owner. "her
furry alarm clock"

I know most cat owners have experiences in common, but whoever
wrote this commercial I'm thinking has been lurking around here.

Just the whole tone felt that way.

I haven't seen the commercial but I wish I hadn't tried doing a
search for the video online. I'm sickened by what comes up when you
search for "iams tv commercial". Yes, they were PETA videos but no
one can actually make this stuff without it really happening. I
can't see how it was faked, even by PETA.

For the defense. (no gross pictures)

http://tinyurl.com/f8lav

Old July 23rd 06, 09:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Cheryl wrote:

On Sun 23 Jul 2006 10:53:54a, Jo Firey wrote in
rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
. com):

New to me anyway. Shows cat being adopted, eating Iams, diving
from top of bookcase, opening doors, and waking owner. "her
furry alarm clock"

I know most cat owners have experiences in common, but whoever
wrote this commercial I'm thinking has been lurking around here.

Just the whole tone felt that way.

I haven't seen the commercial but I wish I hadn't tried doing a
search for the video online. I'm sickened by what comes up when you
search for "iams tv commercial". Yes, they were PETA videos but no
one can actually make this stuff without it really happening. I
can't see how it was faked, even by PETA.

If it was the same PETA clip I looked at (in response to
some protest appeal posted on another thread), how could you
possibly see WHAT was happening????? The picture was so
small and dark, about all that was certain was that there
were some dogs in the video clip! (Nothing HAD to be
"faked", because nothing objectionable was actually SHOWN -
at least not in any recognizeable form.)

Old July 23rd 06, 09:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl

On Sun 23 Jul 2006 04:30:49p, Jo Firey wrote in
rec.pets.cats.anecdotes (news:Z%Qwg.11436$2v.10818
@newssvr25.news.prodigy.net):

For the defense. (no gross pictures)

http://tinyurl.com/f8lav

Yes, that one came up too. Though the worst one was a result of an
investigation that just came in March of this year. It was horrible
and I couldn't watch it all. I'm sorry for putting this in your cute
TV commercial thread, because I'm sure it was cute. I was just
shocked when I tried to find it online.
Old July 23rd 06, 09:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl

On Sun 23 Jul 2006 04:31:52p, EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote in
rec.pets.cats.anecdotes ):

If it was the same PETA clip I looked at (in response to
some protest appeal posted on another thread), how could you
possibly see WHAT was happening????? The picture was so
small and dark, about all that was certain was that there
were some dogs in the video clip! (Nothing HAD to be
"faked", because nothing objectionable was actually SHOWN -
at least not in any recognizeable form.)

I don't think we were looking at the same clip.

Old July 24th 06, 07:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" wrote:

What ever happened to the custom of never mentioning a rival
product in a firm's own commericials?

Good question! When I was a kid, my mother explained to me that
commercials never mentioned the competition in their ads because
they didn't want you to be thinking about the competitors, but
only about them. I don't know if that was the real reason, but it
made sense to me at the time. Maybe some marketing people found
out that it didn't hurt business after all, to mention the
competition if you made sure to say that your brand was better
for X, Y and Z reasons. They probably figured that out by watching
how political campaigns are run.

Joyce
Old July 24th 06, 08:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
L.

Cheryl wrote:

I haven't seen the commercial but I wish I hadn't tried doing a
search for the video online. I'm sickened by what comes up when you
search for "iams tv commercial". Yes, they were PETA videos but no
one can actually make this stuff without it really happening. I
can't see how it was faked, even by PETA.

PeTA doesn't fake their videos. I'm sure you are talking about the dog
reserach video - showing dogs going insane from being research
subjects, etc. That's the sad reality of animal testing. All food
manufacturers do it - as well as all cosmetic companies, drug
companies, etc. But most of them debark the dogs so their sick little
secret can't be heard. If you really want to be sickened, look in to
chimps and other non-human primates in research. Chimps can grow to 5.5
ft tall and weigh over 500 lbs. The NIH cage requirement is 5 ft X
5ft X 8 feet tall. Some chimps are research subjects for 40 years or
more. The lucky ones are rescued and placed in sanctuaries. Some
never recover, emotionally. Check out the case histories of the chimps
at Fauna Foundation:

http://www.faunafoundation.org/ff/english/index1.html

My favorite is Tom.

-L.

Old July 24th 06, 01:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kraut

I haven't seen the commercial but I wish I hadn't tried doing a
search for the video online. I'm sickened by what comes up when you
search for "iams tv commercial". Yes, they were PETA videos but no
one can actually make this stuff without it really happening. I
can't see how it was faked, even by PETA.

Nowdays with computers and all anything and everything can be staged /
faked!!