Help: How to Lure a Cat Into a Pet Carrier

Old May 23rd 04, 11:21 PM
Hilary JRP

Default Help: How to Lure a Cat Into a Pet Carrier

I've set up one of those big collapsible cat carriers in my bedroom
for the past month, with one of Mrs. Sweet Cheek's pillows, her
brushes, and some cat nip.

The cat nip was the only thing that got her to go completely in to the
cage, but interestingly, the attraction wore off in a matter of days.
She completely ignores the cat nip now, when I try to use it as a
lure.

I don't want to put tuna fish in my bedroom (I have the cage set up in
my room because she spends most of her time there); the smell would be
too unpleasant.

She hasn't been to a vet in years because she runs and scratches
pretty badly if you try to hold her for more than a few seconds. Is
the only way of luring her to throw a towel over her? Now how relaxed
will THAT be, when she has a four or five hour trip to her new home
ahead of her?

This problem is totally driving me crazy, so any help here or by email
would be greatly appreciated.
Old May 24th 04, 12:11 AM
MIKE

Get some Feliway spray and spray the inside of the carrier about twenty
minutes before you put the cat in. When you go to pick her up wear
gloves.

-MIKE

Old May 24th 04, 12:24 AM
Cheryl

"Barb" dumped this in
on 23 May 2004:

Gee, if they have to go to the vet or if we are relocating I just put
each cat into the carriers. It's not like I say, "Okay, girls,
please go in." They don't like to go in unless they know we are going
to return home. I've gotten a couple of scratches but if it were
really bad I would put on gardening gloves. I am the boss and
sometimes going into those carriers is for their own little good.

Sooner or later you are going to have to get your cat into a carrier
and although this may be later I say-Go for it!

Yup. I have to get Bonnie to the vet next Saturday for her yearly and not
looking forward to it. But I planned for a Sat appt because our routine is
for her to be in my bedroom on Sat mornings with the door shut (she's used
to that) only this time there will be a carrier in there. I know I can pick
her up when we're on the bed, she might scratch me going into the carrier,
but there is no choice for her.

--
Cheryl

Old May 24th 04, 12:39 AM
Barb

Gee, if they have to go to the vet or if we are relocating I just put each
cat into the carriers. It's not like I say, "Okay, girls, please go in."
They don't like to go in unless they know we are going to return home. I've
gotten a couple of scratches but if it were really bad I would put on
gardening gloves. I am the boss and sometimes going into those carriers is
for their own little good.

Sooner or later you are going to have to get your cat into a carrier and
although this may be later I say-Go for it!

Good luck!
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,
I did it right the first time.

Old May 24th 04, 12:52 AM
tonks

On Sun, 23 May 2004 18:24:04 -0500, Cheryl
wrote:

[...]

I've got this problem with my boy Coco, the one who ate the string a
week ago. His hell-raising when I try to get him in a carrier to go to
the vet is why I was extra-worried about the string episode-- if he
needs to go in an emergency, and if he isn't so distressed as to be
docile, then we're in trouble. Last year, I had to reschedule his
neutering twice b/c I didn't get him into the carrier on first try for
two days running. After each attempt, he ran and hid under the deepest
darkest furniture and there was no way to get him out. On the third
day I snuck up on him and grabbed him by the scruff and literally
wrestled him into the carrier. It was a nightmare. Then the vet's had
to keep him an extra day b/c he was scratching so much they couldn't
sedate him even through the bars of the carrier for hours. And by
then, it was too late in the day to due surgery.

He's now a marked man over there. Poor darling has a big WILL BITE
sticker on his chart! He's overdue for shots, but since he is entirely
an indoor kitty, I'm putting the shots off as long as possible.

mary

Old May 24th 04, 01:05 AM
Cheryl

tonks dumped this in
on 23 May 2004:

Last year, I had to reschedule his
neutering twice b/c I didn't get him into the carrier on first try for
two days running. After each attempt, he ran and hid under the deepest
darkest furniture and there was no way to get him out.

Until now, I've never had a problem getting a cat into a carrier (not that
they went in willingly, mind you).

The trick is to get them into a room where there is nowhere to hide. If
your kitty likes to play, you could lure him with a feather toy into a
room, maybe the bathroom. The trick is to not let on that you're trying to
catch him. Have a pair of heavy gloves in there already if you can't
handle them without being scratched all to hell.

--
Cheryl