Update on Basho

Old March 20th 09, 01:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christine Burel[_2_]

Location: Albuquerque, NM, USA
Default Update on Basho

Victor - Giving the sub-q fluids at home isn't that hard to do so think
positively- I've done it for 2 cats.
Here's one site that I found to have some good info:
http://www.felinecrf.org/index.htm

So good luck - you can do it! I found that hanging the lactacted ringer IV
bags on a coathanger and then hanging it from the shower rod in the bathroom
worked the best for me at getting a good drip rate.

My personal take on the renal food - If they won't eat it then you could be
faced with liver stuff if they don't eat so I decided with my two cats who
had CRF that it was most important that they eat. They wouldn't eat the
renal diet so I mad sure fed them a very high quality canned food (see
www.catinfo.org). Frodo had kidney issues from age 15 to age 20 but did
very well for those 5 years on subq fluids - 100 ml every day during that
time. His buddy cat, Shetra, would come and sit with him while he was
getting his fluids and then afterwards I gave them each a small treat. When
Frodo finally passed, then at 15 years Shetra also started having to get
sub-q fluids for his CRF and it bought him 2 more years and Midnight kept
him company!

Sending purrs for Basho and you!
Christine

"Victor Martinez" wrote in message
Spoke with Dr. Boggs today. Basho's kidney values are less than they were
yesterday, but still above normal. Overall she's pleased with his
progress. He's been on IV fluids yesterday and today and he gets some
sub-Q fluids before heading home. She's going to teach us (me more likely)
how to do the sub-Q at home for the weekend. Now we need to hope that
Basho will eat the renal diet...
Thank you everybody for your purrs, please keep them coming. Our little
guy is not out of the woods yet.

Thanks.

Victor

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old March 20th 09, 05:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Victor Martinez

Kyla =^..^= wrote:
Puuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurs for Basho lovingly sent from out home for him to get
well ASAP. Poor kitty...how old is Basho again?

Basho is 9 years old.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old March 21st 09, 06:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
polonca12000

Victor Martinez wrote:
Spoke with Dr. Boggs today. Basho's kidney values are less than they
were yesterday, but still above normal. Overall she's pleased with his
progress. He's been on IV fluids yesterday and today and he gets some
sub-Q fluids before heading home. She's going to teach us (me more
likely) how to do the sub-Q at home for the weekend. Now we need to hope
that Basho will eat the renal diet...
Thank you everybody for your purrs, please keep them coming. Our little
guy is not out of the woods yet.

Thanks.

Victor

When the vet told me two years ago that Soncek will have to eat renal
food exclusively, I was really worried since Soncek is such a picky
eater. Before I always had 5 different types of food for Soncek, so he
got different food each day. But Soncek really likes his renal diet, so
I hope it will be the same with Basho.
Lots of purrs,
Polonca and Soncek