Kenzie's pills: so far, so good.

Old March 7th 09, 12:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Gandalf

Default Kenzie's pills: so far, so good.

I am doing well using a narrow, thin popsicle type stick, and a
small amount of soft margarine. I put the really small half tablet
inside the butter, on the end of the stick; I made up 3 at once. I get
the tin the sardines came in, and ask Kenzie if she want a treat. She
gets all excited, and gets up on her chair in the kitchen.

Then I very quickly open her mouth with one hand, and place the stick
pretty far back on her tongue with the little blob of butter facing
down, and 'wipe' the butter off near the back of her tongue. She
swallows immediately, and I'm sure she doesn't taste the medication at
all.

I got some on my finger the first time I tried to give her a dose in a
piece of turkey, and I tasted it: it's VERY bitter.

It happens really quickly, and Kenzie doesn't even have time to
struggle. Then I give her a piece of sardine.

I've only done this 5 times so far, but it seems to be working really
well. I just need to stock up on sardines! I figure a tin will last
about 5 days. Cub Foods had a spot on their shelf for tins of sardines
for $1/ea; but they were sold out.

I have some small glass jars. I cut up the sardines from a tin, and put
them in the air tight glass jar. But I kept the tin in the refrigerator
to show to Kenzie; she knows what they look like: her favorite treat!

I think as long as I can make up a few pill and butter doses in advance,
so I have it all ready to use when I call Kenzie to give her a treat,
this will continue to work. That's my plan, anyway.

I don't want Kenzie to see me making up the pill, butter and stick
though. I don't want her to see them until they are headed into her
mouth. Kenzie is a very, very smart cat. The less she sees of her
medication, the better, I think.

Using the same few wood sticks over and over is not a good idea, of
course; they cannot be properly washed.

I had the idea to use those small flat plastic sticks that coffee shops
have for stirring coffee. But so far, I don't know where to buy them.

The local grocery stores don't have them. I checked Target and Walmart,
too.

Any ideas where I might buy them?

Thank you all for your many helpful suggestions, and information; I
really appreciate it!

~~~~~~~~~~~~ ^..^

- Robert Heinlein

Old March 7th 09, 01:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

I had the idea to use those small flat plastic sticks that coffee shops
have for stirring coffee. But so far, I don't know where to buy them.

The local grocery stores don't have them. I checked Target and Walmart,
too.

Any ideas where I might buy them?

Thank you all for your many helpful suggestions, and information; I
really appreciate it!

~~~~~~~~~~~~ *^..^

Why not just go into a coffee shop, buy a coffee the quietly just take
a load of plastic stirers? Of course, I don't condone theft, but if
you need 24 to stir your coffee, you need 24!

What I have found with giving "Robbie the ginger ninja Mr how dare you
try and give me meds!" his daily pill, is that we have got into a real
routine. He gets it at the same time each day, he gets a massive 10
minute 1-on-1 cuddle, and he gets a treat. It's got after 18 months
that he comes and finds me around 11.30pm just before bed so he can
remind me that I need to give him a treat!

Helen M
Old March 7th 09, 03:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Karla

"Gandalf" wrote in message
[...]

It sounds like you have found a workable method, the speed and the routine
plus the means of delivery are all working together to get Kenzie's
medication into her. And of course, the all-powerful treat. Never
underestimate the power of the lowly sardine!

I think you can get those coffee stirrer sticks at store's like Costco, but
that would be a ten lifetime supply. What I would do is ask to buy a few
dollars worth at a convenience store. I would try to ask this of a
management type person because this sort of request is likely to confuse
most hourly employees, you want to talk to someone who can make a decision.

If that didn't work, I'd be inclined to make it habit to occasionally buy a
small cup of coffee and grab a few extra stirrers each time. I like and buy
convenience store coffee but never use the stirrers. You are welcome to the
stirrers I didn't take. Over the years, this has probably added up a couple
of hundred.
Karla

Old March 7th 09, 04:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Winnie

On Mar 7, 7:47*am, (Gandalf) wrote:
[...]

Do you think small chopsticks may work as well? If so, I am sure you
can
them from Chinatown.

Winnie
Old March 7th 09, 09:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Gandalf" wrote in message
[...]

I'm glad you've found a method that works!

Do you have a Smart & Final or Costco in your area? You might be able to
find the plastic stirrers there. If not, you might try going to a coffee
shop that uses them and ask if you could buy a dozen or however many you
want from them. If the number is small, the chances are they'd just give
them to you.

Joy

Old March 7th 09, 10:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Gandalf wrote:

Using the same few wood sticks over and over is not a good idea, of
course; they cannot be properly washed.

I had the idea to use those small flat plastic sticks that coffee shops
have for stirring coffee. But so far, I don't know where to buy them.

The local grocery stores don't have them. I checked Target and Walmart,
too.

Any ideas where I might buy them?

Why not just take a few extras whenever you visit a coffeeshop? I don't
mean grab a huge handful of them, but if you have a few extra ones, they
won't miss them.

I'm glad that it's working well so far!

--
Joyce ^..^

Old March 8th 09, 04:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla =^..^=[_2_]

Gandalf :

Using the same few wood sticks over and over is not a good idea, of
course; they cannot be properly washed.

I had the idea to use those small flat plastic sticks that coffee shops
have for stirring coffee. But so far, I don't know where to buy them.

The local grocery stores don't have them. I checked Target and Walmart,
too.

Any ideas where I might buy them?

Why not just take a few extras whenever you visit a coffeeshop? I don't
mean grab a huge handful of them, but if you have a few extra ones, they
won't miss them.

I'm glad that it's working well so far!

I noticed several people mentions this idea of ontaining the plastic
stirrers

Good kitty, sweet Kenzie, to take your pills.
Purrs for them to help you lots and lots.
Your Daddy loves you so much and so do Mosey and I.
Love
Kyla & Mosey

--
Joyce ^..^

Old March 8th 09, 03:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Stormmee

am glad its working so well, our stash of sardines came from walmart, DH
found the 4 ounce size for .16 cents a tin, regularily .68 cents but they
seem to be discontinuing this size. as to the sticks, look in a party shop,
where they have holloween costumes, and party supplies, check for coffee
stirrers, and drink stirreres, one is flat and one has a tiny spoon on it,
you probably want the flat one, make sure before you buy. I am so glad this
is working, Lee

Old March 8th 09, 04:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected][_2_]

On Mar 7, 5:47*am, (Gandalf) wrote:

I had the idea to use those small flat plastic sticks that coffee shops
have for stirring coffee. But so far, I don't know where to buy them.

The only that worries me is some of those shatter easilybut you've got
the same problem with wooden sticks

Any ideas where I might buy them?

If you were in the UK I'd suggest "Wilkinsons" who do a whole range of
party stuff reasonably priced (I get paper plates and plastic cutlery
from them for our Xmas and New Year parties although since no one
drinks much coffee at them I don't know if they do stirrers) but any
shop that does party supplies might have them...and if all else fails
grab a handful from a coffee shop they're not going to notice and if
you want to be honest if the person you ask is a cat lover then they'd
probably give you some anyway

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs