Escorting Dot and Buster

Old July 12th 07, 04:27 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jofirey

Default Escorting Dot and Buster

"Takayuki" wrote in message
Kreisleriana wrote:
On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 16:49:15 -0400, Takayuki
yodeled:

I'm beginning to allow Dot and Buster to stare each other down for an
hour or so a day:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/Takayuki9z/P1000207a.jpg

Jeez, but they're cute!

You can sort of see why I tend to think of Buster as a full adult - he
has a broad, grown-up face, a calm expression, and wildcat stripes.
But they both have the cutest little vocalizations and sweet faces,
and I sometimes have to treat them like kittens.

One of the adorable things about cats, is most all of them, no matter how
adult and regal, have a crazy wild kitten somewhere inside just waiting to
get loose.

Jo

Old July 12th 07, 07:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Takayuki wrote:

wrote:
This sounds altogether *too* familiar! :-/

I hope Dot learns to tolerate Buster eventually...

Is that how Smudge is with Licky? Dot's an indoor only cat, so yes,
they both have to learn to get along.

That's exactly how she is. If she wants to get by him, she'll creep
by, growling the whole time, and then suddenly dash past him. Licky
doesn't exactly chase her, so he's a bit different from Buster in that
way. He's more like a "picador". He goes up to her and *stares* at her,
or gets right up in her face - little things to annoy and fluster her.
He's such a brat!

I think he is one of the reasons she stays out as much as she does.
She's always loved going out, but I think she has extra incentive with
The Brat around.

Of course, the outdoors is not free of annoying cats. Right on my
street there's a big, stripey bruiser of a cat who likes to intimidate
all the other cats on the block. But like most bullies, he runs off
if someone bigger (eg, a human) goes near him. But the other day,
I saw him and Smudge having a stare-down, and Smudge won! He slunk
off. She's a small kitty, but she's tough. (So why is she so afraid
of Licky, that uber-wuss? Cat dynamics are mystifying.)

Joyce
Old July 12th 07, 02:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana

On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 22:23:05 -0400, Takayuki
yodeled:

Kreisleriana wrote:
On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 16:49:15 -0400, Takayuki
yodeled:

I'm beginning to allow Dot and Buster to stare each other down for an
hour or so a day:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/Takayuki9z/P1000207a.jpg

Jeez, but they're cute!

You can sort of see why I tend to think of Buster as a full adult - he
has a broad, grown-up face, a calm expression, and wildcat stripes.
But they both have the cutest little vocalizations and sweet faces,
and I sometimes have to treat them like kittens.

But that's one of the amazing things about cats, how they can be both
at once, or all things at once. It's like what Marina and I have said
about cats, they're subline and ridiculous at the same time. There
are times when Dante looks incredibly dignified, like some kind of
black lion. I can't believe it's him. Then, he goes NYOW-WOW! and
shows me his belly, and I'm like "Yes, he's back."

Theresa

Make Levees, Not War
Old July 13th 07, 12:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Takayuki" wrote in message
"Karen" wrote:
Hey, that sounds like great progress Tak!!!!!!

Not really - they both behave the same way they always have. What's
progressed, I think, is just me. I've gradually allowed the two to
interact more and more, but their reactions would have been the same
even on the first day.

In fact, I have videos of when they first met at the cat shelter.
Someday I'll have to put it up when I have a chance. It's so funny,
it features Buster playing with toys at the shelter, and Dot watching
him suspiciously, just like today.

Maybe you are expecting too much. I can't hold my hand on my heart and say
that KFC & Boyfie live together in total harmony, they don't. I think you
need siblings for that.
It's nice for me to think that Boyfriend brings his prey back to the house
for Kitty to have, but what is far more likely is that he flies back to the
house going "OMG, OMG, I've caught this, it's in my mouth and it's alive and
I don't know what to do with it so deal with it, meowmie.."

I've never had to introduce inside cats to each other so I can offer zilch
advice about that.
My two often hiss and bat at each other. It causes me no concern.

Tweed

Old July 13th 07, 05:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

Default Plan B ( Escorting Dot and Buster)

"Christina Websell" wrote:
Maybe you are expecting too much. I can't hold my hand on my heart and say
that KFC & Boyfie live together in total harmony, they don't. I think you
need siblings for that.
It's nice for me to think that Boyfriend brings his prey back to the house
for Kitty to have, but what is far more likely is that he flies back to the
house going "OMG, OMG, I've caught this, it's in my mouth and it's alive and
I don't know what to do with it so deal with it, meowmie.."

I've never had to introduce inside cats to each other so I can offer zilch
advice about that.
My two often hiss and bat at each other. It causes me no concern.

Boyfriend is such a funny little meowmie's boy.

I've made a decision. I'm not going to keep Buster confined much
longer. He's made an awesome sacrifice, going into his fifth week of
confinement now for Dot's peace of mind, but she's now familiar with
her home, and it's getting so that it's not fair to Buster.

I'll taper off his confinement over the next week or so. If their
interactions turn out to be really bad, then I have a possible backup
plan - open up the upstairs, where there are three more bedrooms, and
use them as kitty hideaways for Dot.

Old July 13th 07, 05:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

Kreisleriana wrote:
But that's one of the amazing things about cats, how they can be both
at once, or all things at once. It's like what Marina and I have said
about cats, they're subline and ridiculous at the same time. There
are times when Dante looks incredibly dignified, like some kind of
black lion. I can't believe it's him. Then, he goes NYOW-WOW! and
shows me his belly, and I'm like "Yes, he's back."

I swear, their faces are so deceiving. Dante does have that barrel
chest. Except a male lion's mane just makes him look big, whereas
Dante really is just big.

Old July 13th 07, 06:22 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Karen

On 2007-07-12 23:09:32 -0500, Takayuki said:

"Christina Websell" wrote:
[...]

No way. It's been 5 weeks? Man, time flies.

I do realize now that much of the "contention" between Sugar and Pearl
is just ritual. It's like people you knew and you just have to push
their buttons or they yours. Or someone you trade friendly insults
with, but once in a while they get just below the belt.

Old July 13th 07, 08:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

On 2007-07-12 23:09:32 -0500, Takayuki said:
I've made a decision. I'm not going to keep Buster confined much
longer. He's made an awesome sacrifice, going into his fifth week of
confinement now for Dot's peace of mind, but she's now familiar with
her home, and it's getting so that it's not fair to Buster.

No way. It's been 5 weeks? Man, time flies.

I do realize now that much of the "contention" between Sugar and Pearl
is just ritual. It's like people you knew and you just have to push
their buttons or they yours. Or someone you trade friendly insults
with, but once in a while they get just below the belt.

Actually, it's been four weeks, which means that this is the fifth
week.

I think it's funny that Pearl and Sugar have evolved this
understanding between them.