New Onset Spraying in 13 year old Himalayan male

Old November 19th 03, 09:03 PM
Gail

He should see a vet to be evaluated for a urinary tract infection. Did you
"dump" the kittens??
Gail
"Nancy" wrote in message
om...
Subject: New Onset Spraying in 13 yr old neutered Himalayan male

For the last 6 months, a female cat and her two kittens have taken
over our yard (and we've been feeding them but mostly keeping them out
of the house.) Mr. Redford our 13 year old cream point Himalayan and
only house cat has been going bonkers over the sight, smell, and sound
of these intruders in his yard.

He totally destroyed the sofa next to the patio door by peeing in it;
however, he left our other sofa in tact.

I just had the cushions on both sofas cleaned, and while the cleaner
was delivering the cleaned cushions, the monster kittens scooted into
the living room for a couple of minutes. Within seconds Mr. Redford
had peed into the far corner of the heretofore untouched sofa.

I immediately put him outside, foam cleaned the sofa, and dried it
with a hair dryer. Then loaded the kittens in a cage into the trunk of
my car, and with Redford sitting on the back seat of the car to
witness, relocated the kittens 30 miles away.

On our return home, I groomed Redford, gave him treats and lots of
attention. (I had covered the said sofa with plastic for good
keeping.) He slept peacefully on my bed next to me through the night.
But apparently while I was out for an hour that evening he had acted
out. This morning I found about 1/2 liter of pee on the plastic
covering the sofa in the very corner where he had peed the day before.

Now for the first time in his 13 year life, I've kept him outside all
day, not letting him in the house. I'm devastated and he's mad as
hell!

I just sprayed the plastic cover on the sofa with a product called
"Get Off" and reluctantly let him back into the house for the night.
He is full of affection, eating/drinking well, and using his litter
box. But I don't trust him.

Help me please, What should I do??? There must be some appropriate
treatment for this. Should I also get rid of the female who's still
hanging around outside begging for food? Redford's female companion
of 12 1/2 years died about 7 months ago and he has been in mourning
over that til recently.

Desperate, Nancy

Old November 19th 03, 09:52 PM
Sharon Talbert

perhaps that is your punishment for dumping helpless kittens...

Go, Mr. Radford, go!

Old November 19th 03, 09:52 PM
Sharon Talbert

Old November 19th 03, 09:52 PM
Sharon Talbert

Old November 21st 03, 02:09 PM
Helen

"Nancy" wrote in message
[...]

How exactly did you "relocate" them? You have me very worried about that
choice of words.

Unfortunately, you don't seem to know much about feline behaviour. By taking
Redford with you "to witness", you merely stressed him more by making him
sit close to the smell that is causing him such distress. That smell will
also remain in your car.

On our return home, I groomed Redford, gave him treats and lots of
attention. (I had covered the said sofa with plastic for good
keeping.) He slept peacefully on my bed next to me through the night.
But apparently while I was out for an hour that evening he had acted
out. This morning I found about 1/2 liter of pee on the plastic
covering the sofa in the very corner where he had peed the day before.

That is a lot of pee for a cat. Have you had Redford to the vet for a check
up lately, particularly in view of his age? He might have renal failure,
which can cause a cat to urinate more, and which may also lead to
inappropriate elimination...

Now for the first time in his 13 year life, I've kept him outside all
day, not letting him in the house. I'm devastated and he's mad as
hell!

By doing this, you are simply stressing him further, and therefore
predisposing him to further marking of his territory (if that is what it is,
rather than medical).

I just sprayed the plastic cover on the sofa with a product called
"Get Off" and reluctantly let him back into the house for the night.
He is full of affection, eating/drinking well, and using his litter
box. But I don't trust him.

You need a proper enzymatic cleaner to really remove the smell of urine, see
link below.

Help me please, What should I do??? There must be some appropriate
treatment for this. Should I also get rid of the female who's still
hanging around outside begging for food? Redford's female companion
of 12 1/2 years died about 7 months ago and he has been in mourning
over that til recently.

You need to get Redford checked by a vet, including bloodwork. You also need
to learn how to understand feline behaviour. Read this section and the links
carefully:

http://www.felinecrf.org/treatments....te_elimination

HTH

Helen