hydrating cats..is it a good or bad idea to reuse iv sets??

Old July 1st 03, 09:35 PM
Cathy Friedmann

"wombn" wrote in message
On 1 Jul 2003 04:19:28 -0700, (jeffrey kramer) wrote:

hi everybody
subject line asks it all
id like to reuse ivsets to save $$$ unless people in general think
that it compromises relative sterility too much

As someone on an insulin pump, my first question is, how long is the
IV in place?

When I use needles to inject my insulin (rare), I reuse the needles
many times. However, I don't have to inject through fur. I'm not
sure how clean the fur is or if there's a shaved spot that you're
using.

The needle's in place for a couple -- a few minutes for sub-Q fluids,
depending on the amount of fluids given in any one session & the size of the
needle being used. The hair of the fur's not much of a problem - the needle
easily goes under the skin, in-between the hairs.

I took the question to mean more of the venosets than the needles, but
wasn't sure...

Cathy

("The Boy in the Bubble") Paul Simon

Believe it or not, but needles can actually dull with use. It's not
something you can see with a naked eye though.

If the IV is left in place for more than a day, I'd say don't reuse
it. My sets are left in place for 3-4 days any longer is an infection
risk. And I've had a couple of infections here and there. So now I
put neosporin on my infusion sites.

Not sure if your situation is more like syringes or like my insulin
pump.

Just be extremely careful to clean the injection site thoroughly and
don't let the needle ever touch anything else.

p.s. if responders could send a copy to my email address i'd
appreciate it. if thiat is not good form, i will certainly adapt

comcast is currently having problems with my email

Old July 2nd 03, 01:56 PM
blkcatgal

I know people who have re-used the IV lines. I never did. Once the bag of
fluids was empty, I discarded the whole thing.

Sue

"jeffrey kramer" wrote in message
om...
hi everybody
subject line asks it all
id like to reuse ivsets to save $$$ unless people in general think
that it compromises relative sterility too much

many thanx
jeffrey kramer

Old July 3rd 03, 03:48 AM
Phil P.

"jeffrey kramer" wrote in message
om...
hi everybody
subject line asks it all
id like to reuse ivsets to save $$$ unless people in general think
that it compromises relative sterility too much

Some people reuse the venosets but I don't - They're cheap enough and not
worth the risk of infection - especially in a CRF cat (I assume your cat is
in CRF). *Never* reuse the needles.

Good luck.

Phil

Old July 3rd 03, 01:15 PM
PawsForThought

From: "blkcatgal"

I know people who have re-used the IV lines. I never did. Once the bag of
fluids was empty, I discarded the whole thing.

I did too and I never reused the needles. I was nervous enough and didn't want
to take a chance with a dull needle.

Lauren
________
Old July 3rd 03, 01:15 PM