Is there such a thing as "cat whistle"?

Old October 25th 07, 07:58 AM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
RPSinha

Default Is there such a thing as "cat whistle"?

The OP here. Great suggestions. However, my concern is not simply how
to make the cat hear me. It is doing so without making a nuisance of
myself all over the neighborhood. Maybe I am self-conscious, but I
would like to be as discreet towards other humans as possible.

I am taking care of a neighbor's cat for about 6 months while they are
out of the country. She spends the days outside. I would like to ring
the whistle in my backyard and have her come, without bothering the
neighbors everyday. Even more so if I have to walk the block blowing my
whistle.
Old October 25th 07, 08:13 AM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Upscale

The OP here. Great suggestions. However, my concern is not simply how
to make the cat hear me. It is doing so without making a nuisance of
myself all over the neighborhood. Maybe I am self-conscious, but I
would like to be as discreet towards other humans as possible.

I have a high pitched dog whistle I bought a few years ago in a futile
attempt to eliminate pigeons from my balcony. When I blow it, my cat gets
irritated so I know she can hear it. But, getting a cat to respond to one
might be very problematic unless you can associate the high pitched noise
with the knowledge that there's food or some special treat ready and
waiting. The only thing I can think of is to blow it absolutely every time
just before you put out some food or treats. The hard part will be
remembering to blow it unless you attach it to wherever you keep the cat
food.

Old October 25th 07, 08:30 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
studio

On Oct 25, 2:58 am, RPSinha wrote:
The OP here. Great suggestions. However, my concern is not simply how
to make the cat hear me. It is doing so without making a nuisance of
myself all over the neighborhood. Maybe I am self-conscious, but I
would like to be as discreet towards other humans as possible.

Understood.
That's why I use a "ssssssp"...the intensity of the volume is not
like someone yelling or whistling...and cats can hear it from quite
a distance depending on how forceful you apply it.
I associated it by doing it lightly right before I fed her when she
was
younger, but now she just knows it to mean "come".

It's a common call for cats by humans...I've heard it done inversely
(psss, psss)
by many folks trying to get a cat to come to them.
I just reversed it and made it a bit longer.

Old October 26th 07, 10:51 AM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
spannerswirlyflow

The suggestion of using a 'dog's-whistle' is a good one, I have used the
same type of whistle for nearly 20 years and it has never failed to bring
back my feline from wherever it is that he happens to be hiding and the
advice to associate the sound of the whistle with a nice treat of some
description is spot-on.
(I did notice however that the so-called 'silent' whistles are not that
silent at all and you would be berated for blowing it at 1.00am but I
unscrewed my whistle and removed the 'barrel' and just blow through the
'reed-end' and all we hear is a slight rush of air - a bit like blowing out
forcefully yet the cat hears it as a very loud noise - even up to 500 yards
or more).
DS N7

Old October 27th 07, 12:32 AM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
William Graham

"spannerswirlyflow" wrote in message
.uk...
The suggestion of using a 'dog's-whistle' is a good one, I have used the
same type of whistle for nearly 20 years and it has never failed to bring
back my feline from wherever it is that he happens to be hiding and the
advice to associate the sound of the whistle with a nice treat of some
description is spot-on.
(I did notice however that the so-called 'silent' whistles are not that
silent at all and you would be berated for blowing it at 1.00am but I
unscrewed my whistle and removed the 'barrel' and just blow through the
'reed-end' and all we hear is a slight rush of air - a bit like blowing
out forcefully yet the cat hears it as a very loud noise - even up to 500
yards or more).
DS N7

Yes. Mine it tunable.....It only sounds like an air rush to me, but my cat
comes a runnin' from way up the block when I blow it.

Old October 27th 07, 01:36 AM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
RPSinha

William Graham wrote:

: Yes. Mine it tunable.....It only sounds like an air rush to me, but my cat
: comes a runnin' from way up the block when I blow it.

Thanks. I get the idea. I'll look for a "dog" whistle that produces as
little human-audible sound as possible. A few hundred yards is plenty
of range.
Old October 27th 07, 07:55 AM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Upscale

"RPSinha" wrote in message
: Yes. Mine it tunable.....It only sounds like an air rush to me, but my

cat
: comes a runnin' from way up the block when I blow it.

Thanks. I get the idea. I'll look for a "dog" whistle that produces as
little human-audible sound as possible. A few hundred yards is plenty
of range.

Yes, my dog whistle is tuneable too by screwing or unscrewing the mouthpiece
into the body. I did notice when watching my cat that certain settings had
more of an effect on her than others, so I'd guess that certain frequencies
of sound would work better than others when trying to train your cat to come
when a whistle is blown.

Old May 7th 14, 02:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

Old May 9th 14, 02:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dgk

On Wed, 7 May 2014 06:37:15 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

My cats know that when I clap my hands it's time to come in. Usually
they do so. But I'm not aware of anything like a dog whistle for cats.