Best way to force feed a kitten?

Old May 28th 09, 12:46 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.suicide.holiday
Sweetness

Default Best way to force feed a kitten?

My 10 week old tabby kitten won't eat, so I guess I'm gonna hafta force
feed it to keep it from starving. What's the easiest way to do that?

--
What would Fred Hall say ?
Old May 28th 09, 01:32 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
AZ Nomad[_2_]

On Wed, 27 May 2009 19:46:59 -0400, Sweetness wrote:
My 10 week old tabby kitten won't eat, so I guess I'm gonna hafta force
feed it to keep it from starving. What's the easiest way to do that?

any good reason why you're not employing supervision from a vet?
Old May 28th 09, 02:01 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.suicide.holiday
Sweetness

AZ Nomad wrote:
On Wed, 27 May 2009 19:46:59 -0400, Sweetness wrote:
My 10 week old tabby kitten won't eat, so I guess I'm gonna hafta force
feed it to keep it from starving. What's the easiest way to do that?

any good reason why you're not employing supervision from a vet?

Please don't answer my questions with more questions. I do not answer
to you. If you haven't got an answer to my question, then keep quiet.

Sorry I had to reprimand you, but I had no choice.

--
What would Fred Hall say ?
Old May 28th 09, 02:36 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
mg

On Wed, 27 May 2009 19:46:59 -0400, Sweetness wrote:

My 10 week old tabby kitten won't eat, so I guess I'm gonna hafta force
feed it to keep it from starving. What's the easiest way to do that?

Use an eye dropper. If it won't open it's mouth at first, put pressure at
the back of the jaw until it does. It will get the idea quickly that the
eye dropper means food.
Mike

--
If I go insane, please don't put your wires in my brain-Pink Floyd
Old May 28th 09, 03:14 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Netmask

Sweetness wrote:
My 10 week old tabby kitten won't eat, so I guess I'm gonna hafta force
feed it to keep it from starving. What's the easiest way to do that?

If a cat or kitten won't eat or drink for more than two days then it is
time to find out why - force feeding will not solve the problem. As a
temporary measure until you get professional advice you could try
Science Diet type A/D (used for dogs and cats).
http://www.hillspet.com/hillspet/pro...5244417 60567
It is rich in smelly fats and nutrients but can only be used for a short
time, like a couple of weeks until the underlying cause has been
diagnosed. It can be diluted with water and placed in an animal wide
bore syringe - this can be gently inserted towards the back of the mouth
towards the back of the tongue. Don't overload the amount or the kitten
will become frightened and conditioned to the event and will associate
fear with eating making the condition worse and more difficult for you.

BTW you should get off your moral high ground and not chastise someone
who gave you good advice - it is sooooo 19th Century and rude
Old May 28th 09, 03:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
AZ Nomad[_2_]

On Wed, 27 May 2009 21:01:12 -0400, Sweetness wrote:
AZ Nomad wrote:
On Wed, 27 May 2009 19:46:59 -0400, Sweetness wrote:
My 10 week old tabby kitten won't eat, so I guess I'm gonna hafta force
feed it to keep it from starving. What's the easiest way to do that?

any good reason why you're not employing supervision from a vet?

Please don't answer my questions with more questions. I do not answer
to you. If you haven't got an answer to my question, then keep quiet.

Sorry I had to reprimand you, but I had no choice.

Oh, sorry.
Let me rephrase:

You're a blithering idiot for asking usenet a question you should be
asking your vet. You're even more of an idiot if you're not employing
a vet at all and considering force feeding a cat whose condition you
know nothing about.

If you don't like being treated as a dangerous idiot, then don't act
like one.
Old May 28th 09, 06:26 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.suicide.holiday
Sweetness[_2_]

"Sweetness" wrote

Hi, RPCH+B.
Terribly sorry that my frogger iz piddling on yer floor.
You'll hafta excuse him. He's only a pup, and can't hold hiz water
when I leave him fer an hour.

Thanks fer understanding, and please don't give him any solids

--
Sweetness...
sweetchixor@yahoo dot ca

in message ...
:
: any good reason why you're not employing supervision from a vet?
:
: Please don't answer my questions with more questions. I do not
answer
: to you. If you haven't got an answer to my question, then keep
quiet.
:
: Sorry I had to reprimand you, but I had no choice.
:
: --
: What would Fred Hall say ?

Old May 28th 09, 01:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.suicide.holiday
Sweetness

Netmask wrote:
Sweetness wrote:
My 10 week old tabby kitten won't eat, so I guess I'm gonna hafta
force feed it to keep it from starving. What's the easiest way to do
that?

If a cat or kitten won't eat or drink for more than two days then it is
time to find out why - force feeding will not solve the problem.

Oh yes it will.

As a
temporary measure until you get professional advice you could try
Science Diet type A/D (used for dogs and cats).
http://www.hillspet.com/hillspet/pro...5244417 60567

It is rich in smelly fats and nutrients but can only be used for a short
time, like a couple of weeks until the underlying cause has been
diagnosed. It can be diluted with water and placed in an animal wide
bore syringe - this can be gently inserted towards the back of the mouth
towards the back of the tongue. Don't overload the amount or the kitten
will become frightened and conditioned to the event and will associate
fear with eating making the condition worse and more difficult for you.

Meh, it would be easier to slather a soft slender tube with lube and
push it down the kitty's throat and then pour a slurry down. The only
"hard" part would be restraining the scratchy little devil, but I guess
that's one thing that towels and duct tape are for.

BTW you should get off your moral high ground and not chastise someone
who gave you good advice - it is sooooo 19th Century and rude

So far I *haven't* chastised anyone who gave good advice. But I did
have to reprimand an extremely rude person who tried to heap abuse on
me. (And I see they're still at it. Guess it's time to report them to
their ISP.)

--
What would Fred Hall say ?
Old June 22nd 09, 01:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sativasam

Force feeding a kitten is a stupid thing to try.
Feeding trolls is as fruitless a task.

What would Fred Hall say ?

He would probably, identify you as a troll, attempting to ascertain why you
waste your time trolling for public reaction, he may ask you to use your
time more productively. He would ask you unrelentingly, even venturing into
torture (water boarding cigarette stubs etc) until he got an answer, again
and again he would enquire why you do this electronic junk mailing,
continuing with a few questions about why you are attempting to provoke
aroused responses from people who care for animals. He may even repeat
himself by, attempting to ascertain why you waste your time trolling for
[...]
aroused responses from people who care for animals. He may even decide you
should buy yourself a snake, as this would be a better creature for you to
raise, as a snake is much better suited to your needs and personality....
You only just got a PC? Don't worry old son, you will find a proper use for
it one day. As a suggestion maybe you can empty the electronics stuff out
and use it to keep you banana sandwiches in.

Old June 22nd 09, 09:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S

I must agree with others in saying that it sounds like a vet visit is
in order. Kittens at this age can stop eating for a number of reasons,
including parasites and more.

Have you tried warming some chicken or turkey baby food to see if
he'll eat that?