"stay away"

Old January 8th 05, 11:04 PM
Doug Kanter

"Mike Z. Helm" wrote in message
On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 03:04:26 GMT, "Doug Kanter"

Specist!

Anyway, my kitten was shot when I found her. Fortunately it was only
with a pellet gun.

I can tell you one thing about dogs though. If anyone ever attacked me,
my dog would defend me. My cat would probably just watch - until she
realized I couldn't stop her from getting on the kitchen counter. Then
she'd jump up there and kill all my plants.

Yeah....but still....it's a dog. Come on...you know they're vermin. If
they
ever had a molecule of nobility, we've bred it out of them. If you want a
real dog, have some real balls. Get a wolf.

What makes you think it's not a wolf?

Interestingly enough, they make better pets than something like a tiger,
leaopard, liion, cheetah, etc....

Of course they do. Tigers, etc....they're kittens with an attitude and a lot
more weight. :-)

Old January 8th 05, 11:07 PM
Doug Kanter

"Mike Z. Helm" wrote in message
On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 03:06:59 GMT, "Doug Kanter"

"Mike Z. Helm" wrote in message
. ..
On 3 Jan 2005 05:55:49 -0800, "ken"

Does anyone have esperience with a sensor-device called STAY AWAY? If a
cat jumps on a table or counter, the sensor sets off a noise and a
blast of air?
Does it work and if so, where can you buy it?

Someone sent me a link for a "scat mat" (not that kind of scat). It's a
pad that gives a slight shock (it used a 9-volt battery and had 3
settings).

I didn't really think it was practical.

My kitten finally reached the kitchen counter a couple of weeks ago. I
hit her with a blast from a spray bottle, but so far she's only learning
to jump down as soon as I see her up there.

In fact, I just had to interrupt this post because I heard her in there.
She doesn't seem to realize that until she behaves herself, she's not
going to have free run of the house while I'm gone.

I'm being a real hard-ass about it because my few surviving house plants
are huddled in one corner of the kitchen counter nursing themselves back
to health.

I've fortified their position with a ring of empty beer bottles.

Maybe if I just covered the counters with dish soap before I left that
would deter her.

Thanks

Ken

1) Try putting orange or grapefruit peels all over the counter. Two cats
I've lived with hated the smell.
2) Plant a couple of pots of greens for her. Petco sells a packaged thing.
It's hard red winter wheat. It was about four dollars. If you have a farm
supply place nearby, you can probably buy a large bag for about the same
price. I planted it a week ago and it's about 3" high already.
Unfortunately, my cat ran away this past Sunday, but I'm keeping all the
cat
stuff in place for the moment.

All those orange peels and wheat grass must have scared her off.

I suggest getting a dog. Chihuahuas have some cat-like traits.

Actually, my cat never reached the point of familiarity with the house that
he got up on the counters. Too skittish, too much time spent hiding. I only
had him for two or three weeks. At times, I'd sit on the living room floor
for a half hour, perfectly still, holding the brush he loved (at his
previous home). He'd stalk me from 20 feet away, meow a bit, but never come
close. I suspect he's trying to make his way back to his previous home.

Old January 9th 05, 12:16 AM
Tanada

Mike Z. Helm wrote:

Specist!

Yeah, I guess I am, even though I do like the d-thing. I still prefer
the cats who own me.

Pam S.

Old January 10th 05, 04:31 AM
Mike Z. Helm

On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 22:07:14 GMT, "Doug Kanter"

.. .

"Mike Z. Helm" wrote in message
[...]

Have you ever considered seeking professional help?
Old January 10th 05, 05:49 AM
Doug Kanter

"Mike Z. Helm" wrote in message
On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 22:07:14 GMT, "Doug Kanter"

"Mike Z. Helm" wrote in message
. ..
On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 03:06:59 GMT, "Doug Kanter"

"Mike Z. Helm" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Perhaps you'd care to explain that after you've sobered up.

Old January 10th 05, 10:37 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

["Followup-To:" header set to rec.pets.cats.health+behav.] On 2005-01-08, Doug
Kanter penned:

"Mike Z. Helm" wrote in message

Yeah....but still....it's a dog. Come on...you know they're vermin. If they
ever had a molecule of nobility, we've bred it out of them. If you want a
real dog, have some real balls. Get a wolf.

Yeah, it's much better to keep a wild animal in captivity than to keep a pet
who actually enjoys being with humans, like a dog does.

*boggle*

I think it's pretty poor form to come to a pet newsgroup and talk about dogs
as "vermin." A lot of cat lovers also love dogs, and a lot of cats get along
well with dogs, too.

--
monique, roommate of Oscar the (female) grouch

"stay away" ken Cat health & behaviour 42 July 10th 05 10:48 AM
"stay away" ken Cat anecdotes 38 January 10th 05 10:37 PM
How long kittens stay with Mom Priscilla Ballou Cat health & behaviour 6 January 4th 05 07:11 PM
stay away ken Cat health & behaviour 1 December 17th 04 01:53 AM
Cat doesn't want to stay indoors Miner At The Dial-A-View Cat health & behaviour 66 September 27th 03 04:30 AM