creative built-in cat walk/ladder home reno ideas?

Old September 24th 03, 07:45 AM
RW

Default creative built-in cat walk/ladder home reno ideas?

Hi All!

Have just read the post about the cat that launched itself at a
hanging wall rug/carpet and another poster's response
about someone carpeting a wall with carpet leftovers for his cat. I
had actually been thinking about doing this
in my new home for some time and am wondering if anyone here has done
anything creative in the same way cat-wise?

I have a 8-month-year old - Dolly. I'm getting a new apartment soon
and have the opportunity to do some renovating
and adding some creative cat ideas.

I found this site http://brushyland.com/cats/catwalk.htm (i think
from reading this group also) some time ago and
its been the starting point. I've been throwing around a few ideas for
some "built-in" cat renovations such as:

- a cat walk near the ceiling like the one at the site above
- and/or some kind of cat ladder/cat-steps built into the wall leading
to some kind of outpost-style perch.
- wall to wall shag carpeting for one room (cat heaven! .. ?)
- a shag carpeted wall (or sisal, or some kind of carpet) (i was
wondering if my cat would take to this and actually climb it though.
thoughts? )

That's all i can think of right now.

I wonder if anyone has recommendations either for a site with similar
ideas, or personal sites of
people who have done "cat things" to their places? I've googled cat
walk and cat run but cat runs seem mostly to be are
mostly outdoor passages, and cat walk just throws up a lot of fashion
stuff. Any advice or suggestions appreciated, tia.
Old September 24th 03, 05:23 PM
Mary

had actually been thinking about doing this
in my new home for some time and am wondering if anyone here has done
anything creative in the same way cat-wise?

I think one guy posted that he just took those carpet squares and glued them to
the wall. There is also a great book about one guy's cat house. I think purina
also did a great cat house. A friend of mine got a piece of 4x4 wood and make a
post out of it going from floor to ceiling. He wrapped the entire thing in
sisal rope and the cat loved it. I love those cat walks.

Old September 24th 03, 11:21 PM
John Kimmel

Cats can climb up an expanse of carpet easily enough, but they have
trouble climbing back down. I made a post wrapped in sisal rope that's
about 6' high. I put 3 shelves on it just so the cats could get down
easier.

--
John Kimmel

Old September 25th 03, 01:58 AM
Karen

in article , RW at
wrote on 9/24/03 1:45 AM:

[...]

I just wanted to say our remanents were all short short pile. I think cats
like that better than shag, whatever you do with it. Sounds cool. He used
liquid nails to put the pieces on the wall in a diagonal brick pattern. It
lasted a long time.

Karen