Amazing Ted (long)

Old January 21st 05, 03:23 AM
Tish Silberbauer

Default Amazing Ted (long)

No, not the v*t - our aged calico cat, Ted.

Ted is now 18-and-a-bit years old and has been diabetic since she was
12 or so. She is also very arthitic, completely toothless, somewhat
deaf and quite blind. An old cat, but any description, who sleeps
most of the day.

Ted looks to DH - they have a special bond. She pretty-much ignores
everyone else, unless there is food in the offing. To everyone else
she is the most cussed, cross-patched piece of bawling streetcat you
ever did see. She grew up in a household of batchelors and learnt to
swear from them. Boy, did she learn good! She was very proud of
having a "dangerous animal" tag on her file at the v*t.

Two or three times each year Ted has us convinced that her end is near
and we start to mentally prepare ourselves to do the Difficult Thing.
Each time this happens, she waits an appropriate amount of time for
the tension to build to an uncomfortable level, then makes a
"miraculous" recovery. Methinks she's testing her considerable
ability to manipulate us.

This last couple of weeks was no exception. Ted was acting nice.
Really sweet - no cussin', no attempting to rip our bloody throats
out; she even gave up her plans for world domination. We were
suspicious and, once again, started to think the worst. You see, last
time Ted was nice was just before she was diagnosed with diabetes and
she was, in fact, very sick. Ted being nice made us think that she
was very sick again. Last time we had her bloods worked up at the
v*t, he indicated that she had the beginnings of kidney failure, so
we thought that this might now have become an issue. We watched her
carefully; adjusted her insulin, monitored her litterbox habits and
water uptake. We started to be sad and to prepare ourselves for the
worst. Dave gave her lots of cuddles and special little treats
(within her dietary regime). After all, she's over 18 and is unwell.

Dave pulled the short straw and, with a heavy heart, took her to the
vet for a whole-day of blood monitoring (to get a range of glucose
levels). We sat - him at home and me at work, for a whole day, being
distracted and thinking about our furry matriarch.

It was with considerable tension that Dave re-appeared at the v*t in
the evening for a report on our Old Lady's status. He had prepared
himself to make the Ultimate Decision if it was necessary to save Ted
from pain.

It took an hour or two for what the v*t had said to sink in. You see,
Ted has done it again. She is in sparkling good health for a cat of
her age and her kidney values (createnine etc) are better than they
have been for years. Yep, our Ted is going to continue with her
long-term plans for world domination and is determinedly going to hang
around for quite a while yet. The v*t found the problem - age has
meant that she no longer responds to / metabolizes the insulin as
efficiently as she used to, so we have halved her dosage and she has
perked up (grumped up) to her former level.

Amazing Ted. Long may she live.

Tish
Old January 21st 05, 04:32 AM
Yowie

Go Ted!

Shmogg wonders whether she'd consider a man 4-6 years her junior?

Yowie

Old January 21st 05, 08:02 AM
Tish Silberbauer

Ted says "sure, as long as he knows how to keep his place (below me).
I won't stand for any uppityness."
Actually, there was lots of cussin', but I [the scribe] left that out
because this is a family group and y'all don't need your kittens
learning bad words.

Tish

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 14:32:28 +1100, "Yowie"
wrote:

Go Ted!

Shmogg wonders whether she'd consider a man 4-6 years her junior?

Yowie

.. .

Old January 21st 05, 08:15 AM
Krista

Tish Silberbauer wrote:

(snippety)
Amazing Ted. Long may she live.

Tish

Amen. Please give her a scritch for me, if it won't involve too much
blood loss. :-)

------
Krista

Old January 21st 05, 08:24 AM
Melissa Houle

Tish Silberbauer wrote in message
No, not the v*t - our aged calico cat, Ted.

WIth appropriate apologies to the writers of "Amazing Grace" I offer the
following tribute to Ted:

Amazing Ted,
A tough old girl.
she'll cuss at a wretch like me.
We thought she was ill,
But now she's fine,
She'll run the world one day!

That's a cat with definite personality! If she were a hoomin, she'd probably
be the terror of some nursing home, somewhere, plotting serious illness for
a few extra privileges and comforts. =o)

Melissa

Old January 21st 05, 09:18 AM
Tish Silberbauer

awwwww, that's fabulous! Ted, DH and I thank you.

Tish

Old January 21st 05, 10:39 AM
polonca12000

Lots of purrs and best wishes for Ted and thank you and your husband for
taking such good care of her,
--
Polonca & Soncek

"Tish Silberbauer" wrote in message
No, not the v*t - our aged calico cat, Ted.

Ted is now 18-and-a-bit years old and has been diabetic since she was
12 or so. snip The v*t found the problem - age has

Old January 21st 05, 11:47 AM
Marina

Tish Silberbauer wrote:

Amazing Ted. Long may she live.

Wow, what an amazing ladycat she is. So glad to hear she is doing so
well. You take good care of her. My two senior citizens salute her.

--
Marina, Frank and Nikki

T&H Update - Long LOL Cat anecdotes 30 August 15th 04 09:52 AM
We're back from Purrth (long) badwilson Cat anecdotes 24 July 20th 04 04:09 PM
About Bandit - long CatNipped Cat anecdotes 42 July 18th 04 07:34 AM
I attempt to make a cat tree...LONG Christine Burel Cat anecdotes 14 April 16th 04 02:32 AM
Gem the Gray Kitten (long) Annie Benson-Lennaman Cat anecdotes 21 August 25th 03 01:02 AM