False virus alert

Old May 23rd 11, 07:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default False virus alert

I just got one, very cleverly done as it appeared to come from my Windows
system with the official Windows badge and everything.
It told me viruses had been detected and it proceeded to scan my drives,
then told me how many and what they were and there was a box to click to
"remove all"
If one of the viruses detected had not had the name FalseAlert and it also
said that My Documents had viruses in (when it has almost nothing stored in
there and I haven't used it for several years) I might have fallen for it.
Further research proved this originated in Czechoslavakia.
So be warned.
Tweed

Old May 23rd 11, 08:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew[_3_]

"Christina Websell" wrote in message
I just got one, very cleverly done as it appeared to come from my Windows
system with the official Windows badge and everything.
It told me viruses had been detected and it proceeded to scan my drives,
then told me how many and what they were and there was a box to click to
"remove all"
If one of the viruses detected had not had the name FalseAlert and it also
said that My Documents had viruses in (when it has almost nothing stored
in there and I haven't used it for several years) I might have fallen for
it.
Further research proved this originated in Czechoslavakia.
So be warned.
Tweed

Did it pop up on a internet explorer page IF so get a good popup blocker
and immediately close that page it has been going around for years

Old May 23rd 11, 10:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Matthew" wrote in message
g.com...

[...]

It popped up when I opened a link I have a good pop up blocker.
It was totally believable. It was quite difficult to close it and every
time I did it just popped up again.

I know I have so much security on my computer that having so many viruses on
it is not possible. They shot themselves in the foot with this.
But when your Windows Defender says it is doing that,
you tend to believe it, but luckily I am not stupid and noticed a real
fault with that because the origin was Cz
It looks so good and downloads when you switch your computer on as a
genuine Windows alert.

Tweed

Old May 23rd 11, 10:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MatSav[_2_]

"Christina Websell" wrote in
message
"Matthew" wrote in message
g.com...

"Christina Websell"
wrote in
message ...
[...]

Even clicking on the "X" at the top right corner of these false
alerts can install malware. The cross isn't really a "Close
Window" clickable button at all, but will initiate installation
of the unwanted programme. The trick with these is to use either
Task Manager to close Internet Explorer, or the keyboard shortcut
Alt+F4.

I've been caught out by this - fortunately, on a work-provided
laptop, which had good protection. It still managed to install an
unwanted file, but it wouldn't run the malware programme. It did,
however, disable the virus scanner when looking at that
particular file - that's what enabled it to be removed, because
the virus scanner kept "hanging" on that file, and provided a
good indication of where the offending programme had been copied
to!

--
MatSav

Old May 24th 11, 12:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

"MatSav" wrote in message ...

snip

[...]

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Good advice. I think that red "X" at the top right corner of a false alert
may be the most deceptive problem of all. A person who clicks on that
naturally assumes that it will close the program. Instead, it may install.

MaryL

Old May 27th 11, 12:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"MatSav" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote in
message
"Matthew" wrote in message
g.com...

"Christina Websell" wrote in
message ...
[...]

I've scanned with my Malware program and luckily there is nothing on my
computer. Phew.
It's so easy to believe this sort of of thing if it seems to come from your
own computer protection.

false alarm Winnie Cat anecdotes 6 July 31st 09 06:39 PM
Trew or False Barry Cat health & behaviour 97 April 22nd 07 04:39 PM
false heat JB Cat anecdotes 1 July 8th 05 06:57 PM
My cat hid my false teeth bigbadbarry Cat health & behaviour 26 May 11th 05 08:11 PM