Would you starve your pet so it will live longer?

Old April 23rd 09, 05:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dgk

Default Would you starve your pet so it will live longer?

On Thu, 23 Apr 2009 05:15:17 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

Domesticated cats get fat for several reasons, sometimes one at a
time, sometimes a combination of several. For the most part, the non-
physical reasons a

a) The cat once lived under near-starvation conditions. Such cats will
eat as much as they can whenever they can as they are never sure where
their next meal is coming from. They can be trained out of this
behavior, but it is very, very difficult.

Yup, that's Marlo. Most of my cats have been self-limiting, but Marlo
must have been very hungry before I took her in. She will eat until
she explodes and then come back. Because of her, I've had to curtail
the free feeding of dry food and I have to intervene to make sure Espy
gets enough to eat. He eats a little bit, walks away, and expects
there to be some left when he returns. Marlo sees that there isn't.

So I put out most of the can and save some for when Espy does his
encore performance. They're all so weird.
Old April 23rd 09, 07:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
---MIKE---

Amber and Tiger both like the Nutro dry better than the Wellness dry for
treats. I give Tiger six pieces of Friskies Dental Diet just before I
go to bed. He goes crazy for these - shaking his butt and meowing and
purring at the same time.

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Old April 23rd 09, 07:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Wingnut

wrote:

[...]

My little Georgia was separated from her mother at about 3 weeks somehow,
and spent 2-3 hungry days before she was found and bottle fed at the
shelter. So we understand her food "issues", but I'm still hoping that at
some point she will learn that there will always be enough food here. She's
only 10 months now, so it's possible that she will not always have this baby
fat

Old April 25th 09, 09:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Gloria

If a person or pet is not over weight, or that much, NO......I would not
starve my pet.