Persia's Going to the Vet

Old December 10th 09, 06:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default Persia's Going to the Vet

Just a routine check-up but she hasn't been to TED for a couple of years. I
got all wrapped up with taking care of my mother, then dealing with things
that had to do with settling her estate and dealing with taxes. I just
never got around to taking her for a check-up.

She doesn't appear to be ill in any way. She eats well, drinks lots of
fresh water. No litterbox issues. Her eyes are bright, her fur is soft and
shiny. She horks up the occasional hairball (ugh) but that's about it. She
*has* lost about 5 pounds in the last 6 months. But she's also been playing
a lot more. She's chasing her tail as I write this. LOL

But she's never seen this vet before, and I don't know this vet, either. I
get her R/x food from this place but I don't know the vet. I hope things go
smoothly. I'm taking her in at 10AM tomorrow.

Getting her in the carrier should be lots of fun. The last time she was her
carrier I drove her close to 700 miles and brought her to a strange house.
With a couple of stops in hotel rooms along the way. She hid for two weeks
after we got here. She is *not* going to be happy about this fairly short
(approx. 20 mile) trip.

Jill

Old December 10th 09, 07:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

Purrs are on the way - for it not to be too stressful and for a good report.

--
Joy

Don't believe everything you think

Old December 10th 09, 09:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

jmcquown wrote:

Just a routine check-up but she hasn't been to TED for a couple of years. I
got all wrapped up with taking care of my mother, then dealing with things
that had to do with settling her estate and dealing with taxes. I just
never got around to taking her for a check-up.

She doesn't appear to be ill in any way. She eats well, drinks lots of
fresh water. No litterbox issues. Her eyes are bright, her fur is soft and
shiny. She horks up the occasional hairball (ugh) but that's about it. She
*has* lost about 5 pounds in the last 6 months. But she's also been playing
a lot more. She's chasing her tail as I write this. LOL

She's lost *5 pounds* in only 6 months? Did you mistype that? That's a
lot of weight for a cat to lose in such a short time, and she's a smallish,
or at most a medium sized cat. We're not talking about a Maine Coon here!
Five pounds is half an average-sized cat's weight. I sure hope she's OK!!
Please keep us posted.

Joyce

--
Let's stop calling it "climate change", it's far too mild. It's like
calling a foreign invasion "unwanted visitors".
Old December 10th 09, 09:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Mischief[_2_]

On Dec 10, 1:15*pm, wrote:
jmcquown wrote:

[...]

Uh yeah I noticed that too, Purrs that it will be an uneventful trip
to TED
Old December 10th 09, 09:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

wrote in message
jmcquown wrote:

She doesn't appear to be ill in any way. She eats well, drinks lots of
fresh water. No litterbox issues. Her eyes are bright, her fur is soft
and
shiny. She horks up the occasional hairball (ugh) but that's about it.
She
*has* lost about 5 pounds in the last 6 months. But she's also been
playing
a lot more. She's chasing her tail as I write this. LOL

She's lost *5 pounds* in only 6 months? Did you mistype that? That's a
lot of weight for a cat to lose in such a short time, and she's a
smallish,
or at most a medium sized cat. We're not talking about a Maine Coon here!
Five pounds is half an average-sized cat's weight. I sure hope she's OK!!
Please keep us posted.

Joyce

Okay, maybe longer than 6 months... but yes, about 5 lbs. She weighed 16
lbs when I brought her here in 2008, and she was a rather chunky kitty.
She's pretty much back to her ideal weight now. As I said, she's been
playing a LOT. She runs around like she never did before. She's got a huge
living room to dash around in (and she definitely dashes around! She gets
the zoomies all the time).

Unlike my apartment in TN, which was rather dark and only had two windows
and a sliding glass door from my bedroom, she doesn't have to go out in her
kitty walk anymore to see the birds and squirrels (and lizards!). The back
wall of the living room is basically glass:

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...46690505frUyss

She runs around like crazy in that huge open space, especially since I've
hung bird feeders set out a bird bath. I'll see what the vet has to say but
I doubt there's a health problem involved.

BTW, I've lost about 20 lbs in the last year (that's not a typo) without
even trying. I haven't been on a diet. I certainly haven't stopped cooking
(or eating)! There's nothing wrong with me, either

But I will let everyone know what the vet has to say. Thanks for your
concern. I do appreciate it.

Jill

Old December 10th 09, 10:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

jmcquown wrote:

wrote in message

She's lost *5 pounds* in only 6 months?

Okay, maybe longer than 6 months... but yes, about 5 lbs. She weighed 16
lbs when I brought her here in 2008, and she was a rather chunky kitty.
She's pretty much back to her ideal weight now. As I said, she's been
playing a LOT. She runs around like she never did before. She's got a huge
living room to dash around in (and she definitely dashes around! She gets
the zoomies all the time).

Well, that would be great if she just used to weigh more than what's
best for her, and her body has adjusted to the right weight now that she
can get all the exercise she needs. (You, too! )

Unlike my apartment in TN, which was rather dark and only had two windows
and a sliding glass door from my bedroom, she doesn't have to go out in her
kitty walk anymore to see the birds and squirrels (and lizards!). The back
wall of the living room is basically glass:

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...46690505frUyss

Nice! She (and you) must really enjoy all that sunshine and nice view.

Joyce
--
A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.
Old December 10th 09, 11:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Dec 10, 3:48*pm, "jmcquown" wrote:
wrote in message

jmcquown wrote:

[...]

Jill- Hide quoted text -

Maybe it's just the stress of moving and getting more exercise.
Anyway, I think
it's wise to take her for a checkup. If an emergency or illness did
come up,
you'd already be established with the vet. Keep us posted. It just
concerns
me because I don't think I've ever had a cat to lose a third of his
body weight.
That seems like an awful lot. Good luck.

Sherry
Old December 11th 09, 02:01 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

"jmcquown" wrote:
Okay, maybe longer than 6 months... but yes, about 5 lbs. She weighed 16
lbs when I brought her here in 2008, and she was a rather chunky kitty.
She's pretty much back to her ideal weight now. As I said, she's been
playing a LOT. She runs around like she never did before. She's got a huge
living room to dash around in (and she definitely dashes around! She gets
the zoomies all the time).

Unlike my apartment in TN, which was rather dark and only had two windows
and a sliding glass door from my bedroom, she doesn't have to go out in her
kitty walk anymore to see the birds and squirrels (and lizards!). The back
wall of the living room is basically glass:

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...46690505frUyss

It sounded like a lot of weight to me too. Probably many *people*
would be happy to lose 5 lbs in 6 months. If she looks good at
that weight though, that sounds fine, and at any rate, you're taking
her to the vet, who may very well praise her for so slender and lithe.
Old December 11th 09, 02:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

wrote in message

jmcquown wrote:

[...]

A third?! That's absurd. If she'd lost a third of her weight she'd have
weighed 5 lbs when she showed up at my door in 2001. Trust me, that was not
the case.

Jill

Old December 11th 09, 02:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

wrote in message

jmcquown wrote:

[...]

You said she weighed 16 pounds when you got there, and has since lost
five pounds.
Five pounds is roughly one-third of 16, is it not?

What's "absurd" about that?
Sherry