Beware of introducing a new cat to your old cat

Old November 9th 11, 09:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
John Doe

Default Beware of introducing a new cat to your old cat

Many years ago, I had a long time female house cat (that had been
taken from outside, as always). She was with me for about 10 years
before I let another cat inside. That did not work out. She hated
him. I know she was jealous. The situation was worse than I
realized. It caused her lots of stress, some probably hidden. He
died of an apparent heart attack when I was running an errand.
They were separated at the time, so I know she didn't kill him.

Nowadays, I have two former street cats as indoor cats. One is a
hard-core feral female. The other is a perfect house cat, timid
and very affectionate. Whenever I see them together, I thank my
lucky stars. It's a wonderful sight.

If I had to do it over again, I would have not introduced another
cat to the long time cat that I already had, at least not without
a guaranteed method of putting the new cat back where it came from
if the two did not get along.

--
I know this is old news to some.
Old December 15th 11, 07:32 AM
DanielCasey25 DanielCasey25 is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Doe View Post
[...]

I do agree that introducing a new cat to the old cat can be problematic. You will need time and patience if these two animals are to become friends. The best possible way is to treat them equally. Introducing them to each other at an early age makes it more likely that they will accept each others presence and they develop a lifelong close friendship.

Beware! Native Cat anecdotes 1 November 7th 09 11:11 AM
Beware of cat jmagerl Cat health & behaviour 6 January 27th 07 05:35 PM
Beware the attack cat Dave Gerecke Cat anecdotes 0 February 7th 06 09:13 AM
RE_ BEWARE! Cat Owners !! Bigbazza Cat anecdotes 0 June 24th 05 06:51 AM
Greeblings Beware Kreisleriana Cat anecdotes 5 June 11th 05 12:02 AM