Sudden Improvement in Relationship

Old June 25th 19, 12:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_5_]

Default Sudden Improvement in Relationship

I have mentioned before about the trials and tribulations of introducing
Kerry to the resident ruler of the apartment, Cinnamon. I brought Kerry
home in June of 2016, and although Cinnamon had tolerated the late Sam,
she and Kerry fought. There was the time Cinnamon lived under the
loveseat in the living room for ages - and sometimes couldn't or
wouldn't get to the litter box. There were long periods of the two being
completely isolated; Cinnamon and her equipment in the bedroom and Kerry
in the rest of the apartment. Kerry started chewing off her fur, and the
vet said it was stress. So I tried Feliway. I tried sometimes switching
cat locations to get them used to each other's scent. Finally, very
gradually, things improved. I started leaving the bedroom door open when
I was home, then all the time. I very slowly moved the bedroom litter
tray to the "cat's room" (a tiny room described as a "second bedroom"),
without any problems. I noticed Kerry sometimes spent time in the
bedroom, while Cinnamon very rarely ventured out of it. I have never had
such a long and difficult time introducing one cat to another.

In the last couple of days, Cinnamon has decided to join me and Kerry
full time!! She even spends lengthy periods of time on the loveseat, not
hiding under it! I never thought things would improve that much.

--
Cheryl
Old June 26th 19, 11:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 6/25/2019 7:34 AM, Cheryl wrote:
[...]

It took some time but I'm glad to hear about this tidal shift.

Jill
Old June 26th 19, 11:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 6/26/2019 11:43 AM, Judith Latham wrote:
In article ,
Cheryl wrote:
[...]

That's lovely. it must be so nice to see them becoming more comfortable
with each other. It has taken a long time but it seems it's been worth all
your patience.

Judith

I'm glad Cinnamon has decided to venture out. It's a good thing and a
slow but positive step.

It occurs to me cats aren't that different from people. Haven't we all
been in a situation where we took an instant (seemingly irrational)
dislike to someone? I can think of a number of people I've met over the
years who instantly rubbed me the wrong way. Not that they weren't
perfectly nice people, but I sure didn't want to spend any length of
time with them. Now imagine being thrown in with them, 24/7. I'd
probably hide, too.

Jill