Weird

Old June 2nd 06, 07:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Weird

Has anyone else had this happen to them?

I went swimming, the first time (in a chlorinated pool anyway) in ages.
I didn't have time to wash my hair afterwards and was coming straight
home anyway. I sat on the sofa and Otis was sitting on the backrest.
He suddenly dug his claws into my head and bit me, not very hard but I
certainly felt it, no broken skin or anything. I have to assume it's
the smell of the chlorine, but I wonder what made him do it?

Marcia

Old June 2nd 06, 07:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-06-02 11:31:31 -0700, said:

Has anyone else had this happen to them?

I went swimming, the first time (in a chlorinated pool anyway) in ages.
I didn't have time to wash my hair afterwards and was coming straight
home anyway. I sat on the sofa and Otis was sitting on the backrest.
He suddenly dug his claws into my head and bit me, not very hard but I
certainly felt it, no broken skin or anything. I have to assume it's
the smell of the chlorine, but I wonder what made him do it?

some cats apparently have a reaction to bleach that is similar to the
one usually associated with catnip. Since pool chlorine and chlorine
bleach have similar odors, I'd say that the chlorine smell is probably
what Otis was reacting to. As to why he *bit*, well, some cats get
affectionate and sleepy with catnip, others get wild and aggressive,
and still others don't react at all. One of my RB kitties would roll
and purr on the kids towels when they came home from the pool, and if I
was bleaching the kitchen dishrags I had to put them in a dishpan in
the hall bathroom with the door closed or she'd literally try to snort
the bleach water. A load of freshly laundered, bleached whites strait
out of the dryer was a magnet for her. She didn't react to laundry
that had not been bleached, so there must have been just enough of the
chlorine smell to attract her even after going through the rinse and
dry cycles. She was the only one of my cats that reacted to chlorine.
She was also my "water cat"... she'd get in the shower with me and sit
in the sprinklers in the summer. She also liked to go out in the rain
and play in the puddles. I still miss her- every morning when I take a
shower I think of Scamp and her wet footprints all over the house.

Katrina

--
History: special people in special places at special times
Anthropology: everyone else the rest of the time

Old June 2nd 06, 08:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Katrina wrote
Has anyone else had this happen to them?
I went swimming, the first time (in a chlorinated pool anyway) in ages.
I didn't have time to wash my hair afterwards and was coming straight
home anyway. I sat on the sofa and Otis was sitting on the backrest.
He suddenly dug his claws into my head and bit me, not very hard but I
certainly felt it, no broken skin or anything. I have to assume it's
the smell of the chlorine, but I wonder what made him do it?

I'd assume you smelled like a giant chlorine popsicle to Otis and he
lost it for a second because you smelled so good to him. Next time,
try *rinsing* hair (in USA many pools have an open shower near
pool entrance, I dunno about UK) before leaving. When there is
a big load of "whites" in my washer being bleached w/strong dose
of chlorine, my cats go wild and jump up to park on top washer.
The smell almost makes me sick, but I don't have a cat-mind.
Note: I avoid immersing my head in pools as it just sucks the
color out of your color-treated hair, and sometimes blonds
(not me) turn *green*!

Old June 3rd 06, 02:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-06-02 13:31:31 -0500, said:

Has anyone else had this happen to them?

One of my mom's cats goes nuts over the smell of bleach.