LOTR3

Old December 28th 03, 06:33 AM
Yowie

Default LOTR3

We'd tried to get tickets for 3 days (it opened here on the 26th), but the
earliest session we could get tickets to was this morning's. We generally
don't do mornings well, especailly *Sunday* mornings, which gives an
indication of our anticipation and enthusiasm for this movie. We managed to
get the last few tickets on sale, noting that our session was also fully
booked by the time we got to the cinema, and that as we came out, the next
session was also already sold out. We've never seen a movie that has been
harder to get tickets for!

Of all the hype and mania, and our own anticipation, there was room to
dissappointed. However, we are still quietly going "wow".

My only criticism of the whole movie is that I wish there was a scheduled
pee break about half way through. The baby makes holding on for 3.5 hours
difficult, and then I made the mistake of *running* to the bathroom and
back, which I haven't done since I got pregnant. Owww! My stomach muscles
certainly didn't need the extra strain.

Still, there was no way I could see to make the movie any shorter (although
plenty of oppurtunity to make it *longer*) and plenty of tears were shed
(not just mine, I note) towards the end.

Wish I had the stamina to sit through the session that plays all three back
to back, that would be truly awesome, but I guess I'll have to wait till the
third comes out on DVD to do that.

Will defiantley be seeing it again when the crowds die down (possibly late
february!) so as to see all the details and subtlities that we most surely
missed the first time around, and once again experience the magic, the
goosebumps, and the tears. The series is now my favourite set of movies,
ever, beating even Dead Poet's Society. Just stunning.

Yowie

Old December 28th 03, 07:09 AM
Marina

"Yowie" wrote
[...]

Thanks for the opinion, Yowie. It opened here on the 17th, but I haven't
seen it yet. Am going, though. I just wanted to check with you - how
realistic is the she-lob? Do I need to prepare to sit with my eyes shut
while the terrible spider monster is on, or can I watch everything? This is
the one reason I'm a little hesitant to go and see it (and why I didn't see
Harry Potter II).

--
Marina

Old December 28th 03, 08:46 AM
Yowie

"Marina" wrote in message

"Yowie" wrote
[...]

Shut your eyes *tight* for She-lob. Its not an anthropomorphised monster, it
truly is a giant spider (although her sting is in her tail rather than her
fangs) and is thoroughly aweful.

Shut your eyes when Frodo goes into the cave, and don't open them until you
hear orc voices, that way you'll miss she-lob, although not much of the
plot. Besides, you know what happens anyway :-)

Yowie

Old December 28th 03, 09:49 AM
Marina

"Yowie" wrote

Shut your eyes *tight* for She-lob. Its not an anthropomorphised monster,

it
truly is a giant spider (although her sting is in her tail rather than her
fangs) and is thoroughly aweful.

Shut your eyes when Frodo goes into the cave, and don't open them until

you
hear orc voices, that way you'll miss she-lob, although not much of the
plot. Besides, you know what happens anyway :-)

Ugh. Will do as you say. Thanks for the warning.

--
Marina

Old December 28th 03, 10:32 AM
jmcquown

Yowie wrote:
"Marina" wrote in message

"Yowie" wrote

Besides, you know what happens anyway :-)

Yowie

Which is exactly why I haven't been impressed.

I suppose my imagination is simply dulled with age. Granted, the entire
tale is fabulous. I read the books back in the early 1970's and again in
the late 1980's. If Tolkien never smoked weed in his pipe I'll eat my hat.
ROFL

However, IMHO, cinematography has become so computer digitized (okay, so
they used a real spider, you say, for Shelob; they still had to make her
look really big LOL) it's not even fun to watch anymore. It's really no
wonder cartoon flicks are bringing in so much money at the box office.

I will buy the DVD when it is available next year to round out my
collection. I *am* happy someone finally had the gumption to get the whole
thing down on film. I can't tell you how many times I heard LOTR was going
to be made into a movie only to experience false starts, promising ideas and
then nada...

Jill

Old December 28th 03, 01:12 PM
Magic Mood Jeep©

It was pretty crowded when hubby & I went the day AFTER it opened.
Fortunately, the theater in town that was showing it is one of those
multi-plexes, with 12 different theaters, 8 of them showing LOTR3! That and
they threw out the 'no selling of tix until 30 minutes before the start of
said movie' and we bought our tix the day before (online, even!!!) and
didn't have to wait in line. Played it safe and did not drink any sodas or
caffeinated beverages at all for 12 hours before the movie, and went to the
restroom just BEFORE the movie started, declined most of the popcorn
offerings during the movie (salt makes you thirsty) and only drank Sprite
(or was it 7up??? I can't tell the difference) during the movie, so I got to
actually enjoy the movie and not struggle to control my bladder (I hate
leaving in the middle of a movie and then coming back into the dark & trying
to find my seat - not to mention the climbing over people)! When movie was
over, I was barely uncomfortable.

The sad thing is that there was a group of (college/frat)guys behind us that
actually bought a few bottle of beer into the theater. That and about 3-4
rows back, someone actually brought an INFANT!!! I don't mind kids in
theaters when the movie is appropriate (Finding Nemo, for example) but this
one??? It's over 3 hours long!!!! And it ended at past midnight!!!!
Fortunately, this child was unusually quiet, and only squawked 2 times that
I remember. At least it wasn't the South Park movie that came out a few
years ago - that was rated R and we saw people bringing their 3-year olds!

But the movie was great! And yes, I doubt that they could shorten it (after
all, they did cut out the 'fall of Saruman - Christopher Lee boycotted the
premier because they cut that part out) without losing the entire storyline.
The spider was very real looking (didn't hold still long enough to find
fault in it). My husband wants to go see it again, but is waiting until
after the holidays. I would prefer to wait until the DVD comes out, and can
watch it in the comfort of my own sofa & are able to pause it when I run to
the bathroom or the kitchen!

--
The ONE and ONLY
in Bloomington! (And proud of it, too)©

u...

Old December 28th 03, 03:20 PM
Jette Goldie

"Marina" wrote
Thanks for the opinion, Yowie. It opened here on the 17th, but I haven't
seen it yet. Am going, though. I just wanted to check with you - how
realistic is the she-lob? Do I need to prepare to sit with my eyes shut
while the terrible spider monster is on, or can I watch everything? This

is
the one reason I'm a little hesitant to go and see it (and why I didn't

see
Harry Potter II).

Depends on how scared of spiders you are - but this
is no rubber spider monster, no obvious CGI. She's
totally real, very big and in your face.

--
Jette
"Work for Peace and remain Fiercely Loving" - Jim Byrnes

http://www.jette.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Old December 28th 03, 03:22 PM
Christine Burel

"Yowie" wrote in message
u...
[...]

I absolutely loved it and the whole trilogy, and I'm talking both books and
films. (Reading LOTR around age 20 changed my viewpoint toward life in no
little way.) The love, sacrifice and soul that all involved gave in making
the movies resonates with the storyline, IMHO. I think J.R.R. Tolkien
would've been proud. My DH went with his office buddies the 18th and then
our whole family went on Monday the 22nd. I'm going back again today by
myself to catch what I missed the first time.

Christine (who named RB kitty "Frodo" after reading LOTR because of his
spunk and pluck; he turned out to have been named well, sweet boy,
1979-2000)

Old December 28th 03, 05:47 PM
Adrian

Magic Mood Jeep© wrote:
[...]

I'm looking forward to the extended edition DVD, November 2004, it's
rumoured to be five hours long including the fall of Saruman.
--
Adrian
A House Is Not A Home, Without A Cat.

Old December 28th 03, 06:57 PM
Hopitus2

Well, I just happen to *like* spiders: for one thing, they *eat* roaches and
palmetto bugs! But AFAIC, they got a long way to go for "disgusting-looking"
to beat that Gollum character, who has some obscure actor's face and a
puter-generated body somehow. Leering and drooling dude.......I haven't seen