Earth Hour

Old March 29th 08, 11:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default Earth Hour

Bobcat wrote:
On Mar 29, 1:32 pm, "~*LiveLoveLaugh*~" wrote:
Sorry to say this is the first I've heard of it.

I haven't heard of it either, but it is on Yahoo's main page.
Laurie

Google also acknowledges Earth Hour on its home page which appears as
black with white lettering. And in this link:

http://www.google.ca/intl/en/earthhour/

While I appreciate the whole "green" cause, I'm afraid I can't turn all the
lights off at a given time and have my 82-year old mother stumbling around
in the dark. (And no, we aren't the type of people who have a gazillion
candles sitting around for decor and ambiance.)

Jill

Old March 29th 08, 11:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:
Bobcat wrote:
Tonight, cities and communities around the world will dim or turn off
the lights for an hour to draw attention to our abuse of the world's
resources. candles. Probably the only light you'll see at our house is
the TV
screen.

Your TV is "electric", too, you know? On the news last night they
were saying we should turn off all appliances, too - even those in
"standby" mode. I wonder how many people will go THAT far?

Hate to tell everyone this but you *can't* turn off the appliances in your
home that draw the most energy all of the time. They're "on" even when they
aren't actively being used. Think stove/cooktop, or wall oven, or
dishwasher... Of course you could always yank them out and never use them
again...

Jill

Old March 30th 08, 02:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

Default Weekend blues (was: Earth Hour)

My husband was in a car accident and a paraplegic. We were together 24/7.
The last 10 years of his life I would have given anything for some "alone
time". Now, I have all I need and more. When I get the blues, I used to go
walking with Scooter Dog. I really didn't want to get another dog right now
but, no one in this town likes to walk. Even the newly acquired grandkids!
Actually, they least of all. I told my son I should have written out a
pre-nup for him and Amy that included walking, riding on a tamdon etc.

So far, I have been lonesome but not lonely, there is a difference. My
house does get cleaned at odd hours of the day and night if I can't sleep.
wrote in message
Jo Firey wrote:

Given the dearth of decent TV programming lately, especially on Saturday
night, we will likely turn off everything for an hour and sit outside
and
talk. Sunset isn't until 7:30 so we can enjoy the twilight and watch
the
stars come out. The moon is at 50 so shouldn't be an issue. Wish I
thought
a lot of lights would be out so we could really see the stars. I
suppose we
could drive further out in the country, but that would rather defeat the
purpose.

This is a wonderful idea. But I'm sure it's a whole lot easier and more
fun to do when you have a "we" to enjoy the twilight and the stars and
moon, and drive out to the country.

Imagine sitting alone in the dark for an hour. Of course, if you're never
alone, then that probably sounds great. Loneliness is one of those things
that gets *worse* the more you do it. YOu don't ever get used to it, it
just gets harder and harder.

I know, because I was in a couple for 15 years. And during that time,
"time alone" was a precious commodity. And when I was first made single
(after the breakup of the 15-year relationship), I enjoyed my singlehood
a great deal. Loved going to movies by myself, hanging alone, not having
to answer to anyone. But now, 9 years later, it's gotten old. Really,
REALLY old.

I changed the subject so as not to hijack the thread. Everyone I know
who is participating in this is part of a "We". And I'm getting the
Weekend Blues again, because I tried to make plans for tonight and was
unsuccessful. So I'm going to be alone tonight, but I decided to make
the best of it this time and not sit around the house by myself all night.
That was one of the things that made me so deeply depressed last week.
I decided I was going to go out and do something tonight - go to a movie,
or hang out at a coffeeshop, just so I wasn't cocooning in my house.

It's a very precarious situation for me, because when I start feeling
like this, all I really want to do is roll up in a ball, and I could
easily end up staying in the house all night, just because I'm too
depressed
to move. That just makes things worse. So I have to go out tonight. But
it's
not a safe place to just go walking under the stars, so I will need to
go someplace where, unfortunately, electricity will be used...

Any suggestions??

Joyce

--
To send email to this address, remove the triple-X from my user name.

Old March 30th 08, 02:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
tanadashoes

wrote in message

It's a very precarious situation for me, because when I start feeling
like this, all I really want to do is roll up in a ball, and I could
easily end up staying in the house all night, just because I'm too
depressed
to move. That just makes things worse. So I have to go out tonight. But
it's
not a safe place to just go walking under the stars, so I will need to
go someplace where, unfortunately, electricity will be used...

Any suggestions??

Girl, the turning the lights off thing is an idea, not a law. I'm night
blind. I can't see in low light. For me this will be a great idea that
isn't going to happen in my house. I go bump in the night. So go to that
coffee shop, movie, or whatever you want to do and don't feel guilty. I
won't. I use fluorescent light bulbs where ever possible, cut off lights
when not in use and try to keep the energy use to a minimum. We wear really
light clothing in the summer and bundle up in the winter. The only
concessions I've made have been to Rob's comfort this last year. He's
better about temperature variations than the kids are.

Pam S. saying hang in there, Jo. You can do this.

Old March 30th 08, 03:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default Weekend blues

Jo Firey wrote:

You are giving those who are a part of a 'we' too much credit. But you
likely already know that. I've been married over forty years. Odds are the
sitting outside will be done with one of us in the front of the house and
the other in the back yard. Meaningful conversations aren't all that
frequent or likely either.

OK, touche. As I said, I was in a partnership for 15 years, and yeah, I
do already know that it's not the be-all and end-all. But after 9 years of
solitude, those unmeaningful conversations are starting to look pretty
good. And it's true that, lonely as I get at times, I'd rather have
this than be in a miserable relationship. It's just that sitting in the
dark really isn't much fun by yourself.

However, after all that, I managed to score something to do tonight (with
other people, LOL). But I don't know if it will involve any Earth Hour
activities. These people aren't really into that sort of thing, so probably
not. They're too busy with their 50-inch HD TV with Blu-Ray (sp?).

Sole item of togetherness and agreement today is that half a pound of
ground beef is entirely too much for a cheeseburger.

Sum lolkatz mite disagree wit dat.

Joyce
--
To send email to this address, remove the triple-X from my user name.
Old March 30th 08, 03:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Outsider

wrote in
:

Jo Firey wrote:

[...]

I was a we for quite a few years (not a very good we to be honest but a
we) and now I am a me so I really understand what you are feeling. I
really like myself and I am very comfortable with my own company and
always have been but I was, more, preparing for the rigors of having
someone _around_ all the time not the opposite. I don't have much of an
answer either.
Old March 30th 08, 03:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jo Firey

wrote in message
Jo Firey wrote:

[...]

frequent or likely either. Besides its cloudy now and may very well rain,
in which case there won't be any sitting outside.

Sole item of togetherness and agreement today is that half a pound of ground
beef is entirely too much for a cheeseburger. Especially with Rachael Ray's
browned onions. Taste's great but entirely too messy.

Maybe I'll cheat a bit and take a long hot bath (at least its a gas hot
water heater, not electric) with candles. Charlie can talk to the dog and
the cats.

Jo

Old March 30th 08, 10:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Granby wrote:
Sounds like a good idea but I think it will turn out like the "don't buy gas
on this day" things they do around here. People buy before or after,
proving nothing. By the time they reboot PC's and restart motors what will
really be proven? I would think trying to save a little each day would do
more good. Lights, I can take them or leave them!!!

LOL! That's what I call "looking on the bright side of things"! (No
pun intended.) I imagine you're handy to have around when they go out
during an electrical storm, too!
Old March 30th 08, 10:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

jmcquown wrote:
Bobcat wrote:
On Mar 29, 1:32 pm, "~*LiveLoveLaugh*~" wrote:
Sorry to say this is the first I've heard of it.

I haven't heard of it either, but it is on Yahoo's main page.
Laurie

Google also acknowledges Earth Hour on its home page which appears as
black with white lettering. And in this link:

http://www.google.ca/intl/en/earthhour/

While I appreciate the whole "green" cause, I'm afraid I can't turn all
the lights off at a given time and have my 82-year old mother stumbling
around in the dark. (And no, we aren't the type of people who have a
gazillion candles sitting around for decor and ambiance.)

.....Not to mention "fire hazard"! They have gone to electric candles
for "ambiance" here - too many of the residents are on oxygen for the
genuine variety to be safe. Although I am amazed at how many of those
requiring oxygen continue to smoke! I KNOW it's an addiction, and "just
stopping" isn't an easy option for many smokers, but with a health
condition that ALREADY has them tied to an oxygen tank with tubes up
their noses, most of the time?????
Old April 10th 08, 09:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ginger-lyn[_2_]

Bobcat wrote:
Tonight, cities and communities around the world will dim or turn off
the lights for an hour to draw attention to our abuse of the world's
resources. And it's interesting that according to the Toronto Star,
the idea began a year ago in Sydney Australia. This year there's a
light-dimming rivalry between Melbourne and Sydney. I know there are
many Aussies including Flippy in this newsgroup, and I say "Good on
you, mates."

As for Toronto? At 8:00 pm our CN Tower will cut the laser beams that
illuminate its exterior at night, offices and homes will hit the "off"
switches, and the noble Royal York Hotel will be lit with candles.
Probably the only light you'll see at our house is the TV screen.

Do our kitties care? Not a bit of it - they'll see perfectly well with
those incredible eyes by the tiny amount of light coming in the
windows!

What's happening in your area?

Well, I turned off all my lights. And the cats could have cared less --
lol. I admit, I left my laptop plugged in. Guess I should have at
least unplugged it, huh?

The cats were also unperturbed last night when suddenly, a breaker
switch flipped or whatever, and right in the middle of writing to Julie
(hi, Julie! You'll get it soon), the power in my bedroom went off. New
place, never had to deal with this here before. I had to pad down to
the basement with a flashlight (I highly recommend MagLite, not paid for
commercial endorsement) and figure out where the *((*& breaker box was.
Luckily,I found it. Stupid me, one light was on in the basement, so I
was flipping switches back and forth, figuring the other lights in the
basement would come back on when I flicked the right switch. I kept
flipping, but nothing happened. It wasn't until I got back upstairs and
realized that the basement light switch was *off* that I smacked myself
and went "D'oh!" Wonder what the kitties thought of the flashing light
show?

Ginger-lyn

Unhooking in an hour or so Susan M Cat anecdotes 8 January 22nd 07 09:52 PM
Animal Hour with Susie Aga MDM Senior Cat health & behaviour 0 December 12th 06 02:13 PM
Half an hour... Adrian Cat anecdotes 10 March 9th 06 06:18 PM
25 hour update Susan M Cat anecdotes 15 June 28th 05 02:25 PM
My 24 hour kitty O J Cat anecdotes 39 August 20th 04 10:23 AM