OT Bette Davis

Old April 6th 08, 02:01 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana[_3_]

Default OT Bette Davis

It's the hundredth aniiversary of the birth of my favorite actress, Bette
Davis. I'm settling in to watch "All About Eve."

Perhaps you only know Bette from her later movies, where she usually played
some kind of campy monster-- or from the song. She's always worth watching.
The director John Huston said of her,
"There is something elemental about Bette - a demon within her which
threatens to break out and eat everybody, beginning with their ears. The
studio was afraid of her - afraid of her demon. They confused it with
overacting."

Here is when Bette first let the demon out-- in "Of Human Bondage," 1934.
How can such a tiny body contain all that rage?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5v0spjsk1Y

--
Theresa, Stinky and Dante
drtmuirATearthlink.net

Old April 6th 08, 02:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Kreisleriana wrote:

It's the hundredth aniiversary of the birth of my favorite actress, Bette
Davis. I'm settling in to watch "All About Eve."

I adore Bette Davis, and that is one of my favorites of her movies. I'm
also partial to a lesser-known melodramatic weeper called "All This And
Heaven Too", which I can only describe as what the Sound of Music might be
if it had more tragedy and no music.

"There is something elemental about Bette - a demon within her which
threatens to break out and eat everybody, beginning with their ears. The
studio was afraid of her - afraid of her demon. They confused it with
overacting."

For similar reasons, I also love Kathy Bates. There's something similar
about the two of them. Kathy is sort of a modern version of Bette. She
doesn't have the glamor factor, but she definitely has the demon factor.

--
Joyce

To email me, remove the triple-X from my user name. ^..^
Old April 6th 08, 05:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MatSav

"Kreisleriana" wrote in message
m...
It's the hundredth aniiversary of the birth of my favorite
actress, Bette Davis. I'm settling in to watch "All About
Eve."

Perhaps you only know Bette from her later movies, where she
usually played some kind of campy monster...

'S funny you should mention her. Yesterday, I saw "The Watcher In
The Woods", http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081738/ shown on
"terrestrial" TV in the UK. I only watched it because one of the
characters looked familiar - then, when the credits rolled at the
end, I relised why - I had been at school with the actor,
Benedict Taylor http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0852028/ !

--
MatSav

Old April 6th 08, 05:40 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Kreisleriana wrote:
It's the hundredth aniiversary of the birth of my favorite actress, Bette
Davis. I'm settling in to watch "All About Eve."

Perhaps you only know Bette from her later movies, where she usually played
some kind of campy monster-- or from the song. She's always worth watching.
The director John Huston said of her,
"There is something elemental about Bette - a demon within her which
threatens to break out and eat everybody, beginning with their ears. The
studio was afraid of her - afraid of her demon. They confused it with
overacting."

Here is when Bette first let the demon out-- in "Of Human Bondage," 1934.
How can such a tiny body contain all that rage?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5v0spjsk1Y

They recently showed Of Human Bondage on tv here. She's amazing.

Old April 6th 08, 12:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Kreisleriana wrote:
It's the hundredth aniiversary of the birth of my favorite actress,
Bette Davis. I'm settling in to watch "All About Eve."

Perhaps you only know Bette from her later movies, where she usually
played some kind of campy monster-- or from the song. She's always
worth watching. The director John Huston said of her,
"There is something elemental about Bette - a demon within her which
threatens to break out and eat everybody, beginning with their ears.
The studio was afraid of her - afraid of her demon. They confused it
with overacting."

Here is when Bette first let the demon out-- in "Of Human Bondage,"
1934. How can such a tiny body contain all that rage?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5v0spjsk1Y

Mom and I watched her in 'The Letter' yesterday. We saw 'All About Eve' a
week or so ago

Jill

Old April 6th 08, 02:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana[_3_]

"jmcquown" wrote in message
news
Kreisleriana wrote:
It's the hundredth aniiversary of the birth of my favorite actress,
Bette Davis. I'm settling in to watch "All About Eve."

Perhaps you only know Bette from her later movies, where she usually
played some kind of campy monster-- or from the song. She's always
worth watching. The director John Huston said of her,
"There is something elemental about Bette - a demon within her which
threatens to break out and eat everybody, beginning with their ears.
The studio was afraid of her - afraid of her demon. They confused it
with overacting."

Here is when Bette first let the demon out-- in "Of Human Bondage,"
1934. How can such a tiny body contain all that rage?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5v0spjsk1Y

Mom and I watched her in 'The Letter' yesterday. We saw 'All About Eve' a
week or so ago

Ohhhh, "The Letter"! That's a great one. One of the best opening scenes in
movies.

--
Theresa, Stinky and Dante
drtmuirATearthlink.net

Old April 6th 08, 02:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

Being a more audio person than visual, I never watched much Bette Davis.
Her voice stayed with me and frankly, scared the bajesus out of me.
"Kreisleriana" wrote in message
m...

"jmcquown" wrote in message
news

Old April 6th 08, 02:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Kreisleriana wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message
news
Kreisleriana wrote:
[...]

Did you know the ending of the film is different from the original play? In
the play her character got away with everything. But in 1940 the film
industry was all about "morals". There was no way they could let her
character get away with (gasp!) adultery *and* murder! LOL

Jill

Old April 10th 08, 09:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ginger-lyn[_2_]

Kreisleriana wrote:
It's the hundredth aniiversary of the birth of my favorite actress, Bette
Davis. I'm settling in to watch "All About Eve."

Perhaps you only know Bette from her later movies, where she usually played
some kind of campy monster-- or from the song. She's always worth watching.
The director John Huston said of her,
"There is something elemental about Bette - a demon within her which
threatens to break out and eat everybody, beginning with their ears. The
studio was afraid of her - afraid of her demon. They confused it with
overacting."

Here is when Bette first let the demon out-- in "Of Human Bondage," 1934.
How can such a tiny body contain all that rage?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5v0spjsk1Y

I've seen quite a few Bette Davis movies, so I can attest to her
wonderful acting and intensity. One of the best ever.

Ginger-lyn
]