declawing

Old August 5th 03, 09:50 AM
Devlin Tay

"Linda Terrell" wrote in message
news:epxRkhlUwRo0-pn2-

Have several scratching posts around -- the kind with the rope
works best.

Yeah, they work really well. And kitty's claws will peel off regularly (the
old outer surface just sorta moulds as the younger tissue grows and pushes
out from underneath) when she uses the scratching posts, so clipping isn't
usually a problem when the kitty has, and regularly uses, a suitable
scratching post.

Devlin
Perth, Australia

Old August 20th 03, 05:45 PM
bewtifulfreak

kaeli wrote:

There are much better ways to discipline a child (or an animal) than
to hit it.

I agree....as I said, while I don't think everyone who spanks their child is
an abuser, I do think there are much better means of discipline. But, as
with declawing, it's the easy way out; alternative means of discipline take
a bit more time and effort, but in my opinion, are well worth it.

I like Bill Engvall's joke about the stupidity of seeing your kid hit
another kid, smacking them, and saying, "We don't hit!" LOL....

Ann

--

http://www.angelfire.com/ca/bewtifulfreak

Old August 21st 03, 02:05 AM
Nadine

kaeli enlightened us with:

Discipline has a lot more to it than hitting.

Very true, never said there wasn't a lot more to it.

Plenty of children were raised with discipline
without needing to be hit. No one in my family
has ever needed to hit a child to get a point
across to him or her. We are all just fine and
nothing close to "delinquents". All graduated at
least high school with good grades (some went
to college for BS degrees, others went on to
become a cop, a firefighter, a paramedic, and a
paralegal), none were arrested or did drugs or
got pregnant or hurt other people, and all are
now happy, adjusted adults. We all have nice
careers and respect for other living beings. We
don't feel the need to hit something to make a
point.

And plenty have been raised with spankings and have gone on to the same
things as you and your family. But spanking a child doesn't make you a
child abuser, not even close to it.

There are much better ways to discipline
a child (or an animal) than to hit it.

I didn't mention anything about hitting an animal, my response was
solely to the child abuse comment.

Then again, maybe some people just prefer to
use violence to teach. I know some of my
friends in high school used to get hit - they are
in jail, in a drug rehab program, and one got
pregnant in high school, unmarried, and never
finished school.

And I know some (most) of my friends who got hit that didn't end up in
any trouble at all, it goes both ways.

And my daughters have plenty of friends/peers in high school now, who's
parents don't believe in what they like to call corporal punishment,
(spanking). Some of them are rude nasty kids (more so then just teenage
attitudes). They are spoiled pampered brats that have no respect for
authority, but are damn good at fooling their parents into believing
that they are angels, yes I have asked a few of them and they will admit
it. Mind you they also have friends that that don't get hit that are
good kids. But they also have friends that do get hit that are also
good kids. Again it goes both ways.
I've got family and friends, all were spanked, that are well
respected in their communities and are also happy and healthy. They are
doctors, teachers owners of buisnesses, paralegal ect...
Love and compassion are two of the biggest components to raising a
child. But if one of my kids needed a good swat they got it and they
knew it. They also knew/know that it never meant/means I didn't love
them any less. Nothing IMO is worse then being out in public
whether it be a Doctors office or the grocery store with someones kid
running around screaming and the parents saying "you need to stop or
you'll get a time out when we get home sweety" (or something along those
lines).
Anyway my whole point was that spanking a child does not make you a
child abuser!

Nadine

Old August 21st 03, 02:30 PM
kaeli

In article ,
enlightened us with...

kaeli enlightened us with:

Discipline has a lot more to it than hitting.

Very true, never said there wasn't a lot more to it.

No, but you said

"Spanking (not beating) a child is not child abuse. It's called
discipline"

which to me implied that to not spank is to not discipline. Which simply
isn't true at all. I apologize if that wasn't what you meant.

And plenty have been raised with spankings and have gone on to the same
things as you and your family. But spanking a child doesn't make you a
child abuser, not even close to it.

What is your definition of spanking?
To me, spanking is NOT a little, light crack on the behind. That is IMO
unnecessary, but not abuse.
Spanking, to me, is putting the kid over your knee and repeatedly
striking the child with your hand or an object. THAT is abusive.
To me, it is also abuse to strike a child anywhere on the head or face,
even once.

There are much better ways to discipline
a child (or an animal) than to hit it.

I didn't mention anything about hitting an animal, my response was
solely to the child abuse comment.

I was generalizing. However, does that mean you think it's okay to hit a
child, but not an animal?

And I know some (most) of my friends who got hit that didn't end up in
any trouble at all, it goes both ways.

I'm sure it does. Most things do. My point was spanking doesn't
necessarily make a good kid and not spanking doesn't necessarily make a
brat. If one can raise a good child without the need to hit it, why
would there be a reason to hit at all?

And my daughters have plenty of friends/peers in high school now, who's
parents don't believe in what they like to call corporal punishment,
(spanking). Some of them are rude nasty kids (more so then just teenage
attitudes). They are spoiled pampered brats that have no respect for
authority, but are damn good at fooling their parents into believing
that they are angels,

There are a lot of "yuppie" spoiled brats these days, but I think that
has nothing at all to do with spanking and everything to do with
parenting.

Love and compassion are two of the biggest components to raising a
child. But if one of my kids needed a good swat they got it and they
knew it.

I think that is a big difference here - a swat. Not a spanking. Not
hitting it over and over with your hand or an object. I don't think even
a swat is necessary, but it is not abuse.

They also knew/know that it never meant/means I didn't love
them any less. Nothing IMO is worse then being out in public
whether it be a Doctors office or the grocery store with someones kid
running around screaming and the parents saying "you need to stop or
you'll get a time out when we get home sweety" (or something along those
lines).

Oh, that is the WORST!
But, again, that's really about parenting. Those parents coddle and
plead and try to reason with a three year old. They act like it will
damage the child to hear "no" FCOL.
Nope, I was not allowed to act that way. No child should be. They become
spoiled, nasty adults.

Anyway my whole point was that spanking a child does not make you a
child abuser!

I think it does - but I also think I think of "spanking" differently
than you meant it.

~kaeli~
Press any key to continue or any other key to quit.
Who is General Failure and why is he reading
my hard disk?
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace