summer's here

Old May 28th 17, 02:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin

Default summer's here

It's been quite warm for a few days, with no rain (the garden's
drying up). What that's meant for most of our male cats has been:
time to hit the great outdoors. Our Ishmael used to spend most
of the summer camped out in the bushes across the lane (all of
50 yards away) growling ferociously at any other cat who might
have thought about sharing it.

So, our Ollie has gone off to wherever ginger cats with curly
tails hang out in summer (probably the bushes at the other end
of the block). Comes back and lets us know all about it if the
catfood bowls are empty; I just turn my back for a moment and
both the catfood and Ollie have disappeared.

Today's weather forecast said there was going to be thunder and
heavy rain at 6pm. On the dot, a few distant rolls of thunder,
and in comes Ollie. But only a few drops of rain, so off he
goes back out again. It's like he has the BBC weather service
relayed to his hedge.

mobile 07895 860 060 http://www.campin.me.uk Twitter: JackCampin
Old May 29th 17, 03:47 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

On Sun, 28 May 2017 02:03:50 +0100, Jack Campin
wrote:

[...]

That's the best thing about internet, reading about places I've never
been and realizing that it's all so different and yet so much the
same.

I don't let the cats out here, mostly because we have snakes and foxes
and poisonous frogs. Plus birds that are bigger than they are. But
other people do let their cats out and mostly they come home again.
I'm still planning on putting in a fence so the cats can at least
enjoy part of the great outdoors.
Old May 30th 17, 12:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

It is different in the US. There are predators that would easily kill a
cat. I've never let my cats outside. I did have a little mesh
enclosure (kitty walk) for Persia. Buffy doesn't seem to want to go
outside. I don't blame her. She was a feral at one time.She has a
notched ear and was spayed as part of a TNR program.

Oh yes, she has tons of toys. A human who loves her and soft warm
places to sleep. Lots of food and water. Litter box, always clean.
What more could a cat want?

The best thing you could do is enclose a patio with screens. If you
have the room to do that.

Jill
Old May 31st 17, 09:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley Madigan

On Tuesday, May 30, 2017 at 12:51:44 AM UTC+1, Jill McQuown wrote:

It is different in the US.

It really is-over here in the UK everyone assumes cats have outdoor access.

Shelters rarely rehome if you don't have a garden and then only if there are reasons for the cat to be kept indoors such as an elderly cat or FIV+ etc.. I think it's a bad thing because whilst I've been lucky in that all my kittens have been "free to a good home" usually from a friend of a friend (Ganzi came to me that way friend of a friend was told they couldn't get their girl spayed until she was 8 months old so they tried to keep her in when she went into heat but lust found a way) if I couldn't then- well there's always sites like Gumtree where you can buy a kitten no questions asked. This means a shelter kitten loses out on a home and encourages backyard breeders.

We're not really geared up to the idea of indoor only cats. Recently I did a PDSA quiz that assured me living on the first floor the only suitable pets for me were a budgie, fish or a hamster! Yet I've had indoor only cats for 32 years without a problem I've got two of them sitting next to me now

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Old June 1st 17, 12:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy[_3_]

On 5/31/2017 1:56 PM, Lesley Madigan wrote:
[...]

For the benefit of my fellow USAians, in Britain "First Floor" is what
we call "Second Floor".
Old June 1st 17, 01:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy[_3_]

On 5/31/2017 5:14 PM, The Newest Other Guy wrote:
On Wed, 31 May 2017 16:37:14 -0700, Joy wrote:

[...]

And OUR hood is your bonnet,
our trunk is YOUR boot.

DON'T even mention biscuits!!

LOL!

Old June 1st 17, 08:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin

Lesley Madigan wrote:
We're not really geared up to the idea of indoor only cats.
Recently I did a PDSA quiz that assured me living on the
first floor the only suitable pets for me were a budgie,
fish or a hamster!

Central Edinburgh has a few more options. If you do a Google
Street View search for 2 Haddington Place, Edinburgh you'll
see the flat we used to live in - top floor, the three windows
at the left-hand end of the block. Directly under the windows
was a ledge more than a foot wide that formed a cat-friendly
aerial walkway running the whole length of the block 50 feet
above street level. Our Busby used to stroll along it looking
in the neighbours' windows until he either found one open or
got a sucker to let him in. (Our immediate neighbour took some
time to work out why her enormous plant pots smelt of cat pee
when she didn't have a cat).

mobile 07895 860 060 http://www.campin.me.uk Twitter: JackCampin
Old June 3rd 17, 05:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

On Thu, 01 Jun 2017 08:15:46 +0100, Jack Campin
wrote:

Lesley Madigan wrote:
We're not really geared up to the idea of indoor only cats.
Recently I did a PDSA quiz that assured me living on the
first floor the only suitable pets for me were a budgie,
fish or a hamster!

Central Edinburgh has a few more options. If you do a Google
Street View search for 2 Haddington Place, Edinburgh you'll
see the flat we used to live in - top floor, the three windows
at the left-hand end of the block. Directly under the windows
was a ledge more than a foot wide that formed a cat-friendly
aerial walkway running the whole length of the block 50 feet
above street level. Our Busby used to stroll along it looking
in the neighbours' windows until he either found one open or
got a sucker to let him in. (Our immediate neighbour took some
time to work out why her enormous plant pots smelt of cat pee
when she didn't have a cat).

Ha, it's good they were plant pots and not pot plants. I'm sure that would have tasted awful.