After 8 years, my feral is using the Skyway!

Old May 22nd 15, 08:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
John Doe[_2_]

Default After 8 years, my feral is using the Skyway!

The hard-core feral cat has been here for eight years. It has a loft in
another room that's connected to their Skyway. Stays there most of the
time. But when it exits to eat and use the box, it always takes the
shortest route to the floor. But over the last several weeks or so, perhaps
having something to do with the newcomer bully cat, it has been a little
more in the open. And it was just in one of the main room lofts on their
Skyway with my male cat. Never did that voluntarily before, in eight years.
I guess another possibility is hormonal changes since its not young as it
used to be. I recently upgraded the external mic speaker. Could be
responding to that, however unlikely.
Old May 22nd 15, 08:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Mark Carroll[_2_]

John Doe writes:

I recently upgraded the external mic speaker.

The external mic speaker?

-- Mark
Old May 23rd 15, 02:49 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
John Doe[_2_]

Mark Carroll wrote:

John Doe writes:

I recently upgraded the external mic speaker.

The external mic speaker?

I use an infant/baby room monitor to bring the outside sounds inside. The
built-in speaker sounds crappy.

I always knew they enjoyed listening to the outside sounds. That was made
clear when a newly adopted stray always napped with its head against the
speaker, as the speaker was moved around.

To use a baby room monitor, you connect the receiver speaker wires to a
decent active speaker input. Currently it's connected to a JBL LSR305. And
of course place the monitor part outside someplace. Would be awesome if
baby room monitors included a headphone jack, that would make it easy for
anybody to do.
Old May 23rd 15, 08:35 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Mark Carroll[_2_]

John Doe writes:

I always knew they enjoyed listening to the outside sounds. That was made
clear when a newly adopted stray always napped with its head against the
speaker, as the speaker was moved around.

Thank you, I appreciate your explanation. It's an interesting idea --
it's good that you noticed what they like.

Incidentally, outside we have one of those PIR-activated ultrasonic
noisemakers protecting a patch of lawn, after I got fed up of having to
pick up all the neighbour's cat's faeces each time before I get into
mowing the grass. Now the cat just hisses at it from atop the fence and
walks across our decking instead (which I don't mind if it doesn't
defecate all over it!).

-- Mark
Old May 23rd 15, 09:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
John Doe[_2_]

Mark Carroll wrote:

John Doe writes:

I always knew they enjoyed listening to the outside sounds. That was
made clear when a newly adopted stray always napped with its head
against the speaker, as the speaker was moved around.

Thank you, I appreciate your explanation. It's an interesting idea --
it's good that you noticed what they like.

Incidentally, outside we have one of those PIR-activated ultrasonic
noisemakers protecting a patch of lawn, after I got fed up of having
to pick up all the neighbour's cat's faeces each time before I get
into mowing the grass. Now the cat just hisses at it from atop the
fence and walks across our decking instead (which I don't mind if it
doesn't defecate all over it!).

I can't imagine why the feces would be high off of the ground, or that
you couldn't just spray it into the ground. Probably makes good
fertilizer.
Old May 23rd 15, 10:55 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Mark Carroll[_2_]

John Doe writes:

Incidentally, outside we have one of those PIR-activated ultrasonic
noisemakers protecting a patch of lawn, after I got fed up of having
to pick up all the neighbour's cat's faeces each time before I get
into mowing the grass. Now the cat just hisses at it from atop the
fence and walks across our decking instead (which I don't mind if it
doesn't defecate all over it!).

I can't imagine why the feces would be high off of the ground, or that
you couldn't just spray it into the ground. Probably makes good
fertilizer.

I typically don't have some spraying device handy. The faeces just sit
atop the grass, there's no apparent attempt by the cat to dig, and it's
annoying and smelly to risk treading in them whenever I go out onto the
lawn (especially in mowing it I am guaranteed to walk on pretty much
every part), and have to clean my shoes before coming back into the
house.

-- Mark
Old June 7th 15, 05:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
John Doe[_2_]

Apparently the new loft that I built is far enough away from me. That's
why it's venturing out into the main room and hanging out on that loft
even when I'm active. Apparently if it weren't for the Skyway, the
hardcore feral would never have come out of hiding whenever I'm up and
around.

The hard-core feral cat has been here for eight years. It has a loft
in another room that's connected to their Skyway. Stays there most of
the time. But when it exits to eat and use the box, it always takes
the shortest route to the floor. But over the last several weeks or
so, perhaps having something to do with the newcomer bully cat, it has
been a little more in the open. And it was just in one of the main
room lofts on their Skyway with my male cat. Never did that
voluntarily before, in eight years. I guess another possibility is
hormonal changes since its not young as it used to be. I recently
upgraded the external mic speaker. Could be responding to that,
however unlikely.

A Skyway for indoor cats John Doe[_2_] Cat health & behaviour 0 February 14th 15 11:05 PM
Cats love their Skyway John Doe Cat health & behaviour 2 November 22nd 13 10:03 AM
Feral female navigating on Skyway John Doe Cat health & behaviour 0 May 5th 10 12:18 PM
8 years on Yowie Cat anecdotes 25 September 13th 09 03:46 AM
4 years... Adrian[_2_] Cat anecdotes 1 May 22nd 09 07:00 PM