Hard-core feral softening up after 10 years

Old July 10th 17, 08:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
John Doe[_2_]

Default Hard-core feral softening up after 10 years

Never say never. After 10 long years, my hard-core feral appears
to be softening up to me. Early on, I began singing (badly) to
her because it visibly relaxed her. Over the last month or so,
she has started coming around me while I am in my computer
chair. I can usually gently grab her tail as she goes by, but
even slight petting has occurred. Amazing. After living with the
feral animal for 10 years. Of course I could be wrong, about a
month or two more should tell.

Something weird... Not sure if I read it in this group or on the
Internet somewhere, but... Someone wrote about their cat's fur
being matted, and I think they said it fell off in clumps and
their cat's disposition changed for the better. That fur thing
happened here recently to the hard-core feral. There were maybe
three or four clumps total that fell off of her. I was afraid
she had some serious problem, but the fur is growing back. It
was matted hard, clumped. And her mood change corresponds to
that. But after 10 years? LOL

Of course I could never tell much of what was going on with her
since I could not even get close, let alone touch.

Whatever the cause. Yea.
Old August 8th 17, 05:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
John Doe[_2_]

Yep. Almost one month later, the trend continues. Slowly. At
first, she approached only when another cat was being
petted/scratched under my dangling arm. Now she might even be
approaching without another cat there. I have been able to
scratch near her tail. To which, at first she responded by
turning her head and phantom licking vigorously, like...
"So that's civilization!" Today was able to scratch her back
a little. It is weird, removed a tiny/small piece of crud
from her skin. My hand ends up furry every time. At some
point maybe I can brush it. Or take a vacuum to it (kidding).

Have kept it since before May 2007.

Old August 8th 17, 04:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Mack A. Damia[_2_]

On Tue, 8 Aug 2017 04:43:29 -0000 (UTC), John Doe
wrote:

Yep. Almost one month later, the trend continues. Slowly. At
first, she approached only when another cat was being
petted/scratched under my dangling arm. Now she might even be
approaching without another cat there. I have been able to
scratch near her tail. To which, at first she responded by
turning her head and phantom licking vigorously, like...
"So that's civilization!" Today was able to scratch her back
a little. It is weird, removed a tiny/small piece of crud
from her skin. My hand ends up furry every time. At some
point maybe I can brush it. Or take a vacuum to it (kidding).

Have kept it since before May 2007.

I may have mentioned before that my friend in San Diego had a feral
cat for over twenty years. Pity-Pat stayed under John's bed and
would only come out at night to eat and use the litter box.

She came out from under the bed at the end, I guess when she sensed
her death.

She was a sweet thing. I saw her very briefly only on a couple of
occasions.

Old August 8th 17, 05:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Peter W.

On Tuesday, August 8, 2017 at 11:53:27 AM UTC-4, Mack A. Damia wrote:

I may have mentioned before that my friend in San Diego had a feral
cat for over twenty years. Pity-Pat stayed under John's bed and
would only come out at night to eat and use the litter box.

She came out from under the bed at the end, I guess when she sensed
her death.

She was a sweet thing. I saw her very briefly only on a couple of
occasions.

Ask yourself. 20 years in a 6 x 7 space (if that), coming out only for basic bodily functions, and only at night. Solitary confinement is reserved only for the hardest of prisoners, and even then they get some exercise and get to see the sky even if only over a wall. Is that any life for a cat? Any life at all?

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Old August 8th 17, 05:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,free.spam
John Doe[_2_]

A not-quite-grown-up troll...

--

Path: eternal-september.org!news.eternal-september.org!feeder.eternal-september.org!border1.nntp.ams1.giganews.com!nntp. giganews.com!newsreader4.netcologne.de!news.netcol ogne.de!peer03.ams1!peer.ams1.xlned.com!news.xlned .com!peer02.am4!peer.am4.highwinds-media.com!peer02.iad!feed-me.highwinds-media.com!news.highwinds-media.com!s6no1232324qtc.1!news-out.google.com!n39ni517qtf.1!nntp.google.com!s6no1 232323qtc.1!postnews.google.com!glegroupsg2000goo. googlegroups.com!not-for-mail
Newsgroups: rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2017 09:25:40 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Hard-core feral softening up after 10 years

Old August 8th 17, 05:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Mack A. Damia[_2_]

On Tue, 8 Aug 2017 09:25:40 -0700 (PDT), "Peter W."
wrote:

On Tuesday, August 8, 2017 at 11:53:27 AM UTC-4, Mack A. Damia wrote:

I may have mentioned before that my friend in San Diego had a feral
cat for over twenty years. Pity-Pat stayed under John's bed and
would only come out at night to eat and use the litter box.

She came out from under the bed at the end, I guess when she sensed
her death.

She was a sweet thing. I saw her very briefly only on a couple of
occasions.

Ask yourself. 20 years in a 6 x 7 space (if that), coming out only for basic bodily functions, and only at night. Solitary confinement is reserved only for the hardest of prisoners, and even then they get some exercise and get to see the sky even if only over a wall. Is that any life for a cat? Any life at all?

Pity-Pat would roam around John's condo at night, and she did come to
him for love and affection.

My friend had another cat (he always has two) and they did enjoy each
other at times. He saved this one from a certain death.

Pity-Pat had a good life - much better than she had outside.

Anyway, this group is filled with nasty trolls who really don't care
about cats. It's all about their narcissistic egos. John Doe, the
trumpian coward, is a good example.

Old August 8th 17, 05:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
John Doe[_2_]

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4430/3...efc13b8d_b.jpg

My hard-core feral cat, coming out after 10 years. Slowly.
Old August 8th 17, 05:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,free.spam
John Doe[_2_]

The hypocrisy screams in this troll's post...

From: Mack A. Damia drsteerforth yahoo.com
Newsgroups: rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2017 09:46:54 -0700

Anyway, this group is filled with nasty trolls who really don't care
about cats. It's all about their narcissistic egos. John Doe, the
trumpian coward, is a good example.

I posted only about my cat, and for that the troll calls me
"a trumpian coward with a narcissistic ego who doesn't really
care about cats".

Go figure.

But since the troll brought it up... My concern about
Democrats going extinct is rael. In fact, just last week West
Virginia Democrat governor changed parties to Republican.
That sets a record for Republican governors.

DEMOCRATS HOLD FEWER OFFICES NATIONWIDE THAN IN OVER 100
YEARS.

American Trump-bashers should realize that many of their
Trump-bashing comrades are foreigners who could not care less
about America. I do, and it is a pity that Democrats are
going extinct. I mean that sincerely. We need two viable
political parties.

The cannibal left suck at logic.

Old August 8th 17, 06:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Mack A. Damia[_2_]

On Tue, 8 Aug 2017 16:59:53 -0000 (UTC), John Doe
wrote:

The hypocrisy screams in this troll's post...

From YOUR post:

"So far, Trump is exceeding my expectations."

Fact is, little bunkie, that you are THE TROLL. You troll everything
and everyone who comes in here and posts ON-TOPIC messages.

You are a worthless piece of humanity, little trumpian bunkie.

One last thing for your soul, if you have one:

*PLONK*

Old August 8th 17, 07:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Peter W.

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

In this world of sin and sorrow there is always something to be thankful for; as for me, I rejoice that I am not a Republican.

Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.

The most dangerous man to any government is the man who is able to think things out... without regard to the prevailing superstitions and taboos. Almost inevitably he comes to the conclusion that the government he lives under is dishonest, insane, intolerable.

H.L. Mencken

We are all born ignorant, but we must work hard to remain stupid.

Ben Franklin

No, you are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.

Harlan Ellison

Keep in mind the WE THE PEOPLE (at least here in the US) are 100% responsible for our condition and the government we have at every level. We vote for them time, after time, after time, after time. And it is *OUR* elected officials that make every decision - purportedly in our name - as it affects our life every minute of every day.

With that in mind:

This country has a long and illustrious history of electing corrupt, ignorant, stupid or simply inept politicians to high office, starting all the way back with Ulysses S. Grant, Warren Harding, Herbert Hoover, Richard Nixon, Jimmy Carter, G.W. Bush, to name just a few. Donald Trump is at home in that crowd at any of several levels.

Lastly, keep in mind that the Average American:

Does not have a college education, including an Associate Degree (60%).
Does not have a passport (64%).
Speaks one language – badly (74%).
Has never traveled voluntarily more than 200 miles from his/her birthplace (57%).
Has never visited a foreign country, not even Mexico or Canada (71%).
Cannot name the Speaker of the House, even today (82%)
Cannot name the three branches of government (64%)
Cannot read at a college level (83%)
Cannot read for content (54%).
60% of American Households do not buy any book in a year.
Does not believe in Evolution (42% creationism, 32% evolution, 26% no opinion).
Only 71.2% of eligible voters are registered.
Only 57.9% of registered voters voted in 2012.
Meaning that the average American eligible to vote does not vote (only 41.5% net). Not much changed in early statistics for 2016, although the change was to greater participation (48%). The Average American still does not vote.

And you think that our government is anything other than exactly what we deserve, doing exactly what we should expect it to do based on what we tell it (and allow) it to do?

This has not one damned thing to do with party, democrat, republican, libertarian, communist, green, whatever. It has to do with massive, systemic and deliberate neglect, and industrial-grade stupidity mixed equally with mil.Spec. ignorance.

Like some few Americans, I have lived and worked as a civilian in another culture vastly different from here - and I have seen how Americans are perceived in other parts of the world. You might be surprised how easily it is for other cultures to separate Americans (whom they largely respect and admire) from American Culture (continuous amazement, mixed with a varying amounts of jealousy and horror) and the American Government (poorly understood, largely disliked - much as here). Would that Americans had the same ability to separate the individual and sub-group from the various other parts and pieces of the entirety in other cultures and regions.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA