ACT Cat Alliance Inc

Old October 13th 04, 08:39 AM

Default ACT Cat Alliance Inc

Here is a show report for the ACT Cat Alliance Inc, Canberra Australia

As the Secretary of The ACT Cat Alliance, here are a few words I've
written about our very successful cat show held on the October long
weekend...

In association with the Waratah National Cat Alliance, we held another
terrific Championship Cat Show - our sixth. Our aim is to promote
awareness of cats, their welfare and their vital role as a companion
animal in today's modern society and a main attraction of our shows
here in Canberra is that the public can see the judging in action with
commentary provided throughout.

Four judges assessed over 100 exhibits from the ACT and interstate
(some as far away as Townsville, Queensland) including Maine Coon,
Russian, Persian, Siamese, Burmese, Abyssinian, Oriental, Domestic and
Rex breeds.

We managed to get a good deal of publicity, once again The Canberra
Times attended, taking a photo of my granddaughter Emma with newly
acquired Choc Tortie kitten. Emma, 6, after just being a visitor to
the shows for the past two years, took part in her first Junior Handler
presentation, getting up in front of the entire gathering to 'teach' us
all about the standard of the Burmese. Many of the other children who
take part in the Junior Handler section are from the larger cities, and
can show most weekends, and so are gaining an immense depth of
knowledge - some were featured on TV on a children's program called
'Totally Wild' recently.

We also got coverage on our local Canberra Channel Nine News on TV and
were pleased to also get radio plugs, so we had a very healthy door,
which not only pays for hall hire, but encourages us to believe we are
on the right track with our open style of judging, where judges examine
the overall temperaments, cleanliness, bone structure, eye colour, and
style of the cats whilst explaining their decisions. We also feature
non-pedigree sections for domestic cats as a celebration of Australia's
much-loved family 'moggie'. We are thinking of adding a third show,
perhaps a twilight show, when we look at the Calendar for next year.

We asked the public to come along and vote for the exhibits (cat or
kitten) that they would like to see as the top three of the show. On
the Sunday, the votes were counted and prizes awarded to the three cats
with the most votes. We asked that for each vote a gold coin donation
be made for the ACT Cat Rescue and Rehoming Service.

On the Saturday night I organised a spit roast at my home and another
committee member booked a bus to pick up all the party-goers from their
motels. My kids band, 'The Tullys' entertained later in the evening,
after we'd all eaten ourselves silly. Later still in the evening a few
brave souls had a try at singing with the band - all decided that
Mechelle's voice couldn't be matched and there was no point even
trying!

Apparently the singing on the bus on the way home was an experience in
itself - perhaps the home brew someone provided had an influence?!

We were magnificently supported by a range of sponsors. Exhibitors
were delighted with their prizes, as were those who won the raffle held
each day. I had a great time and won a website in the raffle - just
what I wanted.

It doesn't get any better than that!

cheers

Maureen Tully
Secretary
ACT Cat Alliance
www.actcat.com.au

--
Regards
Bruce Evans, Canberra

http://sekicats.actewagl.net.au

Old October 13th 04, 09:43 AM
Ashley

wrote in message
Here is a show report for the ACT Cat Alliance Inc, Canberra Australia

Sounds like a great time, Maureen.

I'm interested to know from you what are the bylaws regarding cat ownership
in ACT. I've just spent a week in Melbourne and was struck, about two days
in, by the fact that I hadn't seen even one cat. During my entire 6 days, I
did see one cat, once. This is so different from New Zealand, where cats are
favourite family pets, and where I get to know many of the neighbourhood
cats on my walks.

I understand the reason is Victoria's state laws and Melbourne's bylaws
regarding containing cats (which seems such a foreign concept to a New
Zealander!) so I'm interested to know what happens in other parts of
Australia.