Argh - litterbox accident again

Old December 3rd 05, 02:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Argh - litterbox accident again

"Annie Wxill" wrote in message

"Jo Firey" wrote in message
About 6 inches deep, 18 inches wide and 22 inches long. (That is a rough
guess)

Jo

If it's not too much trouble, would you be able to measure it? I have a
particular space in mind to use.
It's close to that size. I'd love to get box with higher sides that would
fit.
Thanks,
Annie

I meant to do that today. Off to find the measuring tape.

I'll also post a picture of the spot we have it in. It was one primary
reason for our recent bathroom remodel. We had a large, mostly unused
vanity replaced with a smaller one to create a litter box sized spot. (Also
new tile, tub, etc.)

Jo

Old December 3rd 05, 02:20 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Jo Firey" wrote in message
About 6 inches deep, 18 inches wide and 22 inches long. (That is a rough
guess)

Jo

If it's not too much trouble, would you be able to measure it? I have a
particular space in mind to use.
It's close to that size. I'd love to get box with higher sides that would
fit.
Thanks,
Annie

18 x 16 x 8

http://tinyurl.com/exlb7

Jo

Old December 3rd 05, 02:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Jo Firey" wrote in message
18 x 16 x 8
http://tinyurl.com/exlb7
Jo

Thanks, Jo.
The height and length are great. The width is a mere 2 inches too big. The
space we have is 14" wide at the base, but it is on a boat, and the wall at
the back slants so that the area is wider at the top than at the bottom.
However, if we raise the box a couple of inches for the width, it would mean
they would have to enter over an edge that is at least 10-inches high.
However, we might be able to put a little step for them just outside the
box.

I can see from your photo that there is a lip that is a little wider than
the box itself. Did you include the lip in the measurements?

You know, the funny thing is that when we were house hunting, one of the
criteria we would base our decision on was if there were places for litter
boxes. We had our current house built, and we spent about as much time
discussing how to make room for litter boxes as we did on the rest of the
plan.

Looking back on it, I guess it would seem odd to a lot of people to plan
your house around where to put the litter box. Maybe even odder to make it
a priority when buying a boat.

Annie

Old December 3rd 05, 03:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Annie Wxill" wrote
The space we have is 14" wide at the base, but it is on a boat, and
the wall at the back slants so that the area is wider at the top than
at the bottom.

Hi Annie

Although I'm in the UK I have a big catbox made by the US firm Van Ness
Plastics of Clifton, New Jersey called the Enclosed Catpan. I have the
Super-Giant which is over 17" wide & nearly 24" long with sides
(excluding the dip where the entry is cut out) nearly 9" high - plenty
to catch everything from my Bandit who likes to pee while still in
horizontal position. There are several sizes in their range and the top
makes a useful cave for the boys, who also prefer an open arrangement.

Perhaps they have a website you can look at. Their product is bound to
be widely available if it's made its way over the pond.

Purrs
Gordon & the FF

Old December 3rd 05, 05:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Exocat" wrote in message
Hi Annie
I have a big catbox made by the US firm Van Ness Plastics of Clifton, New
Jersey called the Enclosed Catpan. ...
Purrs
Gordon & the FF

Thanks, Gordon.
I'll see what I can find.
Annie

Old December 3rd 05, 08:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Jo Firey" wrote in message
[...]

Higher wouldn't be a problem for either of my two. And if your space gets
wider as it goes up, it could very well work. The width is up a few inches
where the top and bottom hook together (the lip). My space is sixteen
inches wide, and it doesn't quite touch at the widest point.

I got our litter boxed at the grocery store, likely for less than Petsmart
or Petco would charge. Look around locally before you try mail order.
Cheaper and easier to return if the size doesn't work.

Jo

Old December 3rd 05, 09:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Jo Firey" wrote in message
Higher wouldn't be a problem for either of my two. And if your space gets
wider as it goes up, it could very well work. The width is up a few
inches where the top and bottom hook together (the lip). My space is
sixteen inches wide, and it doesn't quite touch at the widest point.

Jo

I guess we need to measure to see just how high up the space becomes wide
enough (not quite 16 inches).
I'm working with a cabinet under a counter, so the box still would have to
be low enough for the cats to not have to squeeze between the top of the box
and the underside of the counter.
The cats are good about using the box inside the cabinet, but I don't even
want to think of the consequences if we make it too inconvenient for them.
Thanks for your comments. I'll post an update.
Annie

Old December 3rd 05, 10:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Annie Wxill" wrote in message

"Exocat" wrote in message
Hi Annie
I have a big catbox made by the US firm Van Ness Plastics of Clifton,
New Jersey called the Enclosed Catpan. ...
Purrs
Gordon & the FF

Thanks, Gordon.
I'll see what I can find.
Annie

Here it is: http://www.vannessplastic.com/
Sam, closely supervised by Mistletoe

Old December 4th 05, 12:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Annie Wxill" wrote

I guess we need to measure to see just how high up the space becomes
wide enough (not quite 16 inches).

LO again Annie

A thought occurs to me (unusual but not unknown): if a purpose-built
litter tray can't be found to suit, try a washing-up bowl.

Mine is 15" x 12.5" wide by 6" high (the lowest you probably could get
away with). A small u-shaped cutout to give the cats easy entry & there
u go. Won't be expensive, either.

Purrs
Gordon & the TT

Old December 4th 05, 01:45 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

I use a sturdy, hard plastic storage container like they sell at Stuff
Mart. It holds a LOT of litter...my cats have always liked that...and
has higher sides. Remember, Qwilleran used a turkey roasting pan for
Koko and Yumyum!

PatM