Cat In Trouble - Woman Arrested

Old December 1st 05, 05:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Cat In Trouble - Woman Arrested

A woman dialed 911 here in Houston when her cat was trapped in a drain.
They wouldn't send out anyone to rescue the cat so the woman (a single
mother) called 911 again and this time said, "My 2-year-old baby is trapped
in a drain" (note: her cat's name *IS* "Baby" and he's 2). They sent
rescuers out and since they were already there they did deign to rescue the
cat. But today a warrant has been issued for the mother and she will be
arrested for submitting a false report to police. She faces up to 100 days
jail time and some hefty fines.

Bah! Humbug!!!

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old December 1st 05, 05:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

CatNipped wrote:
A woman dialed 911 here in Houston when her cat was trapped in a
drain. They wouldn't send out anyone to rescue the cat so the woman
(a single mother) called 911 again and this time said, "My 2-year-old
baby is trapped in a drain" (note: her cat's name *IS* "Baby" and
he's 2). They sent rescuers out and since they were already there
they did deign to rescue the cat. But today a warrant has been
issued for the mother and she will be arrested for submitting a false
report to police. She faces up to 100 days jail time and some hefty
fines.

Bah! Humbug!!!

Hugs,

CatNipped

IDIOTS... our cats *are* our babies.

But on the flip side... (there is always a flip side)...
I worked with a woman who owned 5 cats. She constantly used them as a
reason not to come to work. Had to take cat#whatever to the vet.
Cat#whatever escaped and she had to find him/her. She tripped over
cat#whatever on the stairs and had to go to the doctor. You get the
picture.

She finally got fired and came back to get her personal stuff from her
cubicle *in the company of the police* (who rolled their eyes) saying she
"Didn't feel safe" going to the office without an escort. Huh. We aren't
talking an abusive ex- here, we are talking a former EMPLOYER. Did she
think we were going to beat her? Keep her from getting her belongings? How
silly was this?

After that, she started calling her former office telephone number and
leaving obscene messages for the poor new guy who inherited her old phone
number. He was shocked. He played the messages for us on speaker and when
we heard her voice we all said, "OMG, that's ***!" We used our phone system
software to burn the messages to a CD as evidence in case she did something
really nutty later on.

Anyway, last time she was ever seen/heard of by any of us, she was on the
local news. Still had her 5 cats and was living in a cheap motel that
rented by the month (sad) but one of her cats got out and got trapped in a
drainage pipe. She expected the landlord of the property to dig up the
drain pipe to get the cat out. The landlord might well have done so if
she'd asked nicely, but given the fact that she was a lunatic, I doubt she
asked nicely. She was probably shrieking at the guy. So instead she called
the news. When they ran the story, she looked nuts and they portrayed her
as such, which isn't what she was going for.

Sadly, I don't know if they got the cat out... I suspect they did, hopefully
after they hauled her in for a psych evaluation and arranged for the care of
her other 4 cats. I *do* know she shouldn't be allowed to have cats.

Jill

Old December 1st 05, 05:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"CatNipped" wrote in message
A woman dialed 911 here in Houston when her cat was trapped in a drain.
They wouldn't send out anyone to rescue the cat so the woman (a single
mother) called 911 again and this time said, "My 2-year-old baby is
trapped
in a drain" (note: her cat's name *IS* "Baby" and he's 2). They sent
rescuers out and since they were already there they did deign to rescue
the
cat. But today a warrant has been issued for the mother and she will be
arrested for submitting a false report to police. She faces up to 100
days
jail time and some hefty fines.

Bah! Humbug!!!

Hugs,

CatNipped

Quite. Have to say in UK, the fire brigade would have attended to get cat
out.

Cheers, helen s

Old December 2nd 05, 03:40 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

wafflycat wrote:

"CatNipped" wrote in message

A woman dialed 911 here in Houston when her cat was trapped in a drain.
They wouldn't send out anyone to rescue the cat so the woman (a single
mother) called 911 again and this time said, "My 2-year-old baby is
trapped
in a drain" (note: her cat's name *IS* "Baby" and he's 2). They sent
rescuers out and since they were already there they did deign to
rescue the
cat. But today a warrant has been issued for the mother and she will be
arrested for submitting a false report to police. She faces up to 100
days
jail time and some hefty fines.

Bah! Humbug!!!

Hugs,

CatNipped

Quite. Have to say in UK, the fire brigade would have attended to get
cat out.

Some places in the U.S., too - but apparently Houston isn't
one of them!

Old December 2nd 05, 04:56 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"jmcquown" wrote in message
But on the flip side... (there is always a flip side)...
I worked with a woman who owned 5 cats. She constantly used them as a
reason not to come to work. Had to take cat#whatever to the vet.
Cat#whatever escaped and she had to find him/her. She tripped over
cat#whatever on the stairs and had to go to the doctor. You get the
picture.

She finally got fired ...

Well that kind of behavior goes on in offices all across America and the
people doing it don't get fired. Except it's not their pets they are taking
to the doctor, tripping over or looking for. It's ... THE CHILDREN.
Meanwhile, those of us who are child free have to pick up the slack at work.

Face it, an errand is an errand, whether you are taking your pet to the vet
or your kid to the dentist. I look the other way when Sarah down the hall
calls in because her kid's sick and the day care won't take him. She can
look the other way when my cat needs to go to the vet.

/rant

And accept my apologies for hijacking this thread.

HLS

Old December 2nd 05, 11:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

CatNipped wrote:

A woman dialed 911 here in Houston when her cat was trapped in a drain.
They wouldn't send out anyone to rescue the cat

Isn't this what Animal Control is for? They're usually a department of
the police. Or maybe they only deal with troublesome and threatening
animals? They were the folks who dealt with the pitbulls who attacked
Smudge. They were very slow in responding, and these were dogs that
could have presented a danger to people, especially children. So maybe
they wouldn't rescue a stuck cat, I don't know. Seems like there should
be municipal departments that are dedicated to such rescues, but as
with everything else, there's usually not enough money.

Joyce
Old December 3rd 05, 10:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default OT: children vs. pets as a reason to be off work (WAS: Cat In Trouble - Woman Arrested)

Houston Legal Secretary wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

No problem... I've experienced that too often over the years as well. One
woman at my last job was notorious for getting a phone call after lunch
saying she needed to go get her daughter for some reason. How convenient;
sure, take the rest of the afternoon off. snort

At this place of employ, it was a lovely custom on the day before a major
U.S. holiday, the office would shut down at 1PM. At one point several years
ago, the dept. manager decided someone needed to stay behind on the days we
closed early to deal with emergencies. We rotated those days among the
department staff. But then it came time for K* to stay behind on Christmas
Eve. K* had children. I didn't. So it was *strongly suggested* I might
switch with him and get to leave early the day before Independence Day the
next year instead, since I don't have children.

The implication was, I don't have children so I can't possibly have plans.
What if he would rather leave early in July to go on a picnic or something?
He liked to take his kids camping. K* told me he didn't care either way,
but management pressured me so I said okay. Didn't want to look like the
bad gal here. But inside, I was seething. To me it was all very
descriminatory against people without children.

(stepping off soapbox)

Jill

Old December 4th 05, 01:01 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

The implication was, I don't have children so I can't possibly have plans.
What if he would rather leave early in July to go on a picnic or something?
He liked to take his kids camping. K* told me he didn't care either way,
but management pressured me so I said okay. Didn't want to look like the
bad gal here. But inside, I was seething. To me it was all very
descriminatory against people without children.

I haven't minded teaching a few classes for my supervising professor
because he's got kids, one of whom was hospitalized for a week in
October. I don't mind picking up the slack when he's rushing his kid
to the hospital.

But I certainly hope he'd be as sympathetic if I had to rush my cat to
the vet.

**

I personally believe that things like dentist appointments and such
should be scheduled at times where they don't interfere with school, or
at the very least at times when a working parent can make prior
arrangements (like a day off, or have a friend or relative pick up the
kid, take them to the appointment, and return them to school, or if
their partner doesn't work 9-5 Mon-Fri, then they shoudl be the one
taking the kid to the appointment) to do it so that it does not
interfere with their work schedule.

--Fil

Trouble is fine Mogget Cat anecdotes 5 August 2nd 05 07:17 PM
Trouble with window ledges Debra Cat anecdotes 7 July 17th 05 04:12 PM
News story - woman awarded $45,000 for her cat's death Shahna Cat community 1 May 11th 05 01:14 PM
Woman Let's Go Of Cat To Survive Cat Protector Cat health & behaviour 192 September 21st 04 08:08 PM
Trouble brewing for the Touchstone kitties (long) Steve Touchstone Cat anecdotes 9 November 19th 03 01:25 PM