Advice please

Old March 24th 05, 02:49 AM
.oO rach Oo.

Default Advice please

I have a good friend that adopted a kitten a few months ago. My friend has
two young children and the cat is amazing with them. The kids love the cat.

Things started bothering me when she had the cat declawed. I had begged her
not to do it and bought her clippers, suggested soft paws. One day I was
over and the cat was limping around and sure enough, it had been declawed.

Lately, she has been complaining that that Kitty has been going into the one
year old's room and waking her up. I asked did she close the door properly
and apparently she says the cat gets in anyway. I suggested a screen door
(it would keep her toddler out too) but she won't go for it. Today she told
me she was so angry at the cat last night, she threw it down a set of 5
steps. I asked her if she was ****ing crazy and she informed me it had
landed on it's feet. I could frankly care less if it landed on it's feet
singing "dixie".

We have two cats already here and the youngest especially is very jealous of
anyone or anything that takes my attention or pays attention to me. I want
to tell my friend I will take the cat but I also don't want my cats to fret
or be upset. We live in a small apartment and Kitty is used to a nice sized
house. Should I introduce them slowly and see how it goes? If it doesn't
go well, I couldn't send it off to a shelter. My husband says that our
current cats should be our priority.

If the cat stays with it's family, are there any other suggestions as to
keeping the cat out of the baby's room other than a screen door? My friend
is normally a very kind person but she has a temper and I don't want to see
her just take the cat to a shelter herself.

Sorry about the rambling but I am really wanting more options.

--
..oO rach Oo.

Old March 24th 05, 03:12 AM
Candace

..oO rach Oo. wrote:

If the cat stays with it's family, are there any other suggestions as

keeping the cat out of the baby's room other than a screen door? My

friend
is normally a very kind person but she has a temper and I don't want

to see
her just take the cat to a shelter herself.

Sorry about the rambling but I am really wanting more options.

--
.oO rach Oo.

I would take the cat ASAP as it could very well be in danger. Take it
as though it is a foster cat and be looking actively for a good,
permanent home for it. Then if, by chance, it gets along well in your
household, you can keep it but, for now, take it as though it is an
emergency situation, which it could very well be. Poor little kitty.
It only has abuse and neglect in its future living with your friend.
As soon as you get the cat away, I would also terminate the friendship
(but that's just me). Take the cat for now.

Candace

Old March 24th 05, 03:22 AM
Karen

in article , .oO rach Oo. at
wrote on 3/23/05 8:49 PM:

[...]

Do what you have to, but get that cat out of that house as soon as possible.
If it is young, I bet you have a really good shot at a good integration with
a slow introduction. That woman does NOT need a pet. You COULD report her
for that. Grrrrrrrrrr. Ask her if she is going to belt the baby too

Old March 24th 05, 03:32 AM

Take the cat. NOW. Take several weeks to do a slow introduction and the
kitty should fit in just fine. And as far as your friend big a"normally
kind" person "normally kind" people don't throw cats down stairs or so
easily admit to others they did so. If it were me, I would get the cat
out of there and then tell her to FOAD.

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
http://www.stopdeclaw.com

Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22

way."

- W.H. Murray

Old March 24th 05, 03:37 AM
Cathy Friedmann

".oO rach Oo." wrote in message
. ..
[...]

It's too bad that the kids love the cat, but that their mother's having some
problems with the cat. Apart from her temper, I don't understand how the
cat is getting into the baby's room if she is shutting the door so that it
catches/latches. If the door is shut... unless there's a large gap under
it, & kitty is tiny & slithering under it, how is the cat getting in there??

Anyway, apart from your/your husband's own semi-doubts, would she be
amenable to you adopting the cat? The kids would still get to see/grow up
with it if it lived w/ you?

Sorry about the rambling but I am really wanting more options.

Actually, I wasn't helpful w/ more options, just had more questions...

Cathy

--
.oO rach Oo.

Old March 24th 05, 06:32 AM
-L.

..oO rach Oo. wrote:
I have a good friend that adopted a kitten a few months ago. My

friend has
two young children and the cat is amazing with them. The kids love

the cat.

Take the cat NOW, and rehome it if necessary. A declawed cat should be
easy to rehome.

-L.

Old March 24th 05, 02:33 PM
KellyH

"Mary" wrote
And me. Her behavior toward the cat tells you something
about her character. She is not to be trusted.

Chiming in with another "me too". This behavior tells you what kind of
person she really is. I wonder what she does to the children when she's
angry with them? Get the cat OUT OF THERE! Even if she's in your bathroom
for a while, that's better than being abused. If you can't keep the cat
yourself, be very thorough when you screen people for rehoming.

--
-Kelly
kelly at farringtons dot net

Old March 24th 05, 04:57 PM
Mary

"KellyH" wrote in message
"Mary" wrote
And me. Her behavior toward the cat tells you something
about her character. She is not to be trusted.

Chiming in with another "me too". This behavior tells you what kind of
person she really is. I wonder what she does to the children when she's
angry with them? Get the cat OUT OF THERE! Even if she's in your

bathroom
for a while, that's better than being abused. If you can't keep the cat
yourself, be very thorough when you screen people for rehoming.

--

I feel sorry for her kids, too.