Leaving Cats

Old September 30th 04, 03:58 PM
Fat Freddy

Default Leaving Cats

We will be travelling for about two weeks in December and our three
cats will have to go to a boarding kennel. It almost brings me to tears
thinking about this because I know they will be so unhappy, but it's
the only option.

They are inside/outside cats and love to go out at night to hunt in the
creek bed behind the house, or to spend the day laying in the sun in
the garden. I can't bear to think of them in cages among strangers.

Would it help to introduce them gradually to the new environment? I'm
thinking of maybe taking them for an overnight stay, then a couple of
days, then maybe four or five days, before their two week stay in
December. Maybe they would realize that their incarceration was only
temporary and we would be coming back for them. Or is that just wishful
thinking?

If anyone has any suggestions to make this easier, I would appreciate
it.
Old September 30th 04, 06:14 PM
Karen

You know, I'd say that isn't a bad idea if the kennel let's you. That way
it's not TOTALLY unknown. Wow. 2 weeks is a long time. I'm sure they will be
fine, but I totally understand.

Old September 30th 04, 06:17 PM
Dan M

Would it help to introduce them gradually to the new environment? I'm
thinking of maybe taking them for an overnight stay, then a couple of
days, then maybe four or five days, before their two week stay in
December. Maybe they would realize that their incarceration was only
temporary and we would be coming back for them. Or is that just wishful
thinking?

If anyone has any suggestions to make this easier, I would appreciate
it.

I think that would be an excellent idea. Getting acclimated to the
environment definitrely might make the stay easier.

You might also want to leave them with a towel, t-shirt, or something
similar that has your smell on it.

Old September 30th 04, 07:17 PM
Jo Firey

"Fat Freddy" wrote in message
[...]

They are going to be fairly unhappy, and I don't see how an advance taste
would be any help. That said, we board our cats when we go anywhere. I
don't trust anyone else to keep an eye on them at home. They like to go out
and can be hard to get back in.

I just make sure to find the most secure interesting place available to
board them. Here it is a vet across the river that has a soundproof cat
room with a picture window and fairly large cages. So the cats don't hear
the animals being treated or the dogs barking. And they all have a nice
view across the parking lot to a park and lake beyond. There will be times
when you must go places and can't include the cats. Might as well get them
and you used to it now.

And the worst thing that has ever happened to any of ours while boarding, is
our first Siamese used to come home with laryngitis.

They all are so happy to get home, they forgive us sooner rather than later.

Jo

Old September 30th 04, 07:24 PM
Steve Touchstone

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 10:17:05 -0700, Dan M wrote:

I think that would be an excellent idea. Getting acclimated to the
environment definitrely might make the stay easier.

You might also want to leave them with a towel, t-shirt, or something
similar that has your smell on it.

I'd agree with that, even a favorite pillow, or towel that they like
napping on. I've mentioned before that I leave the carriers out, and
the cats frequently choose them for napping spots. Well, not Rocky, I
think he has a phobia about being shut in after his hot afternoon
stuck in a neighbor's trap set for a possum. Rock doesn't even play
with bags or boxes. Anyway, what I was going to say is that when I
take Sammy for rides she views her carrier and pink beach towel and a
"safe" spot to retreat to if she's not sure of something. If your crew
has something similiar, or even favorite toys, if wouldn't hurt to
take them along to the cattery. As I type this I'm remembering that
your guys spend a lot of time outside and may not have favorite
blankies and such, but hey if they do it might help.
--
Steve Touchstone,

[remove Junk for email]
Home Page:

Old September 30th 04, 08:16 PM
Jumi & Shirley Butler

When my Rexie was just about 8 mos old we went on vacation for a week
and a half and had to board him. During the week it's only him and me
in the house, so he's not used to outsiders, and he's strictly an
indoor cat. I "Day-Boarded" (they charge only $5 to drop off in the
a.m. and pick up p.m.) him at the kennel by my house 3 or 4 times
before we went, and left him overnight once.

When we got back, he was fine. they have a "cat room", and every hour
they take one cat out of its cage and let it play with toys on the
floor for about 20 minutes. She told me Rex spent most of his 20
minutes going from cage to cage and "talking" to the other cats.

When he goes now (not often), he's not happy to get in his carrier and
go in the car, but once at the kennel, he's fine.

To reply by mail, remove 'nick'.

Shirley B.

Webmaster:
http://jumi-shirley-butler.com
http://www.geocities.com/mhc_reporter

"Making a way out of no way is sometimes the only way"
Dr. Johnnetta B. Cole

~
~They are inside/outside cats and love to go out at night to hunt in
the
~creek bed behind the house, or to spend the day laying in the sun in
~the garden. I can't bear to think of them in cages among strangers.
~
~Would it help to introduce them gradually to the new environment? I'm
~thinking of maybe taking them for an overnight stay, then a couple of
~days, then maybe four or five days, before their two week stay in
~December. Maybe they would realize that their incarceration was only
~temporary and we would be coming back for them. Or is that just
wishful
~thinking?
~
~If anyone has any suggestions to make this easier, I would appreciate
~it.

Chipping my Cats Fat Freddy Cat anecdotes 26 May 2nd 04 03:08 PM
Big cats in England Yoj Cat anecdotes 75 April 26th 04 02:49 AM
Dozens Of Dead Cats Removed From Woman's Garage Magic Mood JeepĀ© Cat anecdotes 18 December 26th 03 12:11 AM
sunny day=happy cats John Biltz Cat anecdotes 1 November 15th 03 05:14 AM