Update: KFC

Old December 18th 07, 11:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default Update: KFC

She is improving slowly. After her pheasant goodies she seems stronger and
takes a little bit of interest at mealtimes.
She needed encouragement to eat every few hours so I took the last two days
off work as leave time so I could do it.
Today she has eaten some posh cat pate that I warmed up with some hot water
to make it smoother so she could lap it. Twice. She will get some more if
she wants it before I go to bed (soon.)
I have to separate her into another room so she has time to eat it or Boyfie
will scoff it after he has gobbled his meal down, he has become so greedy.

I never noticed this before. I didn't stand over either of them to make
sure each got their share in the morning as I was getting ready for work and
feeding the chickens. It might be my fault because I didn't realise he
might have knocked her off her food once he had eaten his because she is not
well enough to bat him fiercely like she used to and that has made her
become weak.
I feel so guilty.

Tweed

Old December 19th 07, 12:01 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Smokie Darling (Annie)

On Dec 18, 4:11 pm, "Christina Websell"
wrote:
[...]

Oh Tweed,

Don't feel badly. I know exactly how you feel. This is why we have 7
different spots for the cats. Most of them mind, but the younger boys
(Marley and Smeagol) have a tendency to rush their food to get to
someone else's (even when it's the same stuff). They are put in the
second bedroom, and everyone else has their "spot".

You've caught it now, and you know that she wasn't getting her food.
Cats are such strange babies, aren't they? Barnabus is in early stage
renal failure, and he gets baby food. I asked the vet about that, and
she said at this point (he's 14) so long as he eats, and he does eat
dry cat food occasionally. All the other cats want his baby food, so
we are going to move his dining area to the bathroom, that's where he
gets his breakfast, so he can have dinner there too I suppose.

I've been making many offerings for KFC, as she is such a lovely
lady. Also for you, as you seem to have your own plate rather full
these days.

Be well..

Smokie Darling (Annie)
Old December 19th 07, 12:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Daniel Mahoney

KFC is still on our purr and prayer list.
Old December 19th 07, 12:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Christina Websell wrote:

She is improving slowly. After her pheasant goodies she seems
stronger and takes a little bit of interest at mealtimes.

I'm glad to hear it! Purrs continuing.

I have to separate her into another room so she has time to eat it
or Boyfie will scoff it after he has gobbled his meal down, he has
become so greedy.

That sounds like a good idea. She probably eats a lot more slowly than
he does at this point. (Maybe always?)

I never noticed this before. I didn't stand over either of them to make
sure each got their share in the morning as I was getting ready for work and
feeding the chickens. It might be my fault because I didn't realise he
might have knocked her off her food once he had eaten his because she is not
well enough to bat him fiercely like she used to and that has made her
become weak.
I feel so guilty.

This wasn't necessarily the problem. She does have CRF, so that is more
likely why she's weak. And now that you've seen the problem, you can make
sure she gets enough food in the future.

I've sometimes had this problem with cats - some eat slowly and others
scarf down food and then go searching for someone to butt out of the way.
Segregation during eating has at times been necessary. Fortunately, my
3 seem to have worked it out and they're all getting plenty. Smudge might
get picked on at times, but when it comes to food, nobody gets in her way!

Joyce

--
To send email to this address, remove the triple-X from my user name.
Old December 19th 07, 01:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Enfilade

I am glad and I will continue to purr for her.

--Fil

Old December 19th 07, 01:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Karen

On 2007-12-18 17:11:01 -0600, "Christina Websell"
said:

[...]

Don't feel guilty. We simply can't always pick up on things. I'm glad
you are seeing improvement. That is the important thing.

Old December 19th 07, 01:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Stormmee

part of the many reasons we free feed is so that everyone has a chance, and
they all know there is always more, except for Tiger who has EBS. Lee

Old December 19th 07, 01:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ann

More purrs on the way. Don't feel guilty. You just didn't see what was going
on.I would do the same thing. Feed the cats and go get dressed or do other
things.

We noticed Abby was loosing weight and we started watching them eat. We
finally learned Cinnamon was eating her food and then go and push Abby out
of her dish. Now they eat in separate rooms with the door closed.
Ann

Old December 19th 07, 02:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

[...]

I've never known a female cat who wouldn't forgo food in order for a
younger, or male cat to eat. It's instinctive in them; and since you've not
had cats for very long (and dogs are much different eaters) you could not
have known. I always have to watch mine because they'll walk away from
their food if the boys look interested in it (and the boys, like all male
teenagers, are bottomless pits).

Hugs,

CatNipped