cat needs to lose weight - calorie question

Old July 5th 09, 04:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

Default cat needs to lose weight - calorie question

"Kalmia" wrote in message

Tonight starts his new regimen. Half a cup dry in the morning. Half a
can (not that itty bitty size) in the evening

Dry food is really bad for your cat, particularly since he is a male. But
what do you care?

Old July 5th 09, 08:10 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

"Kalmia" wrote in message
Cat is 18 lb. Should be 15. How many calories a day does he need to
attain and maintain 15 lb.?

225-270 kcal/day. 15-18 kcal/lb/day. 15 kcal/lb/day is faster but 18
kcal/lb/day is safer.

Phil

Old July 5th 09, 02:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Kalmia

On Jul 4, 11:23*pm, "cybercat" wrote:
"Kalmia" wrote in message

Tonight starts his new regimen. *Half a cup dry in the morning. Half a
can (not that itty bitty size) in the evening

Dry food is really bad for your cat, particularly since he is a male. But
what do you care?

Aw, c'mon, - I bet I can find plenty of opinions on the all-wet diet
too. My vet had him on all-dry for years.
Old July 5th 09, 09:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Kalmia" wrote in message

Tonight starts his new regimen. Half a cup dry in the morning. Half a
can (not that itty bitty size) in the evening

Dry food is really bad for your cat, particularly since he is a male. But
what do you care?

Aw, c'mon, - I bet I can find plenty of opinions on the all-wet diet
too. My vet had him on all-dry for years.

Vets are selling cat food. Examine your reasons for feeding dry and you'll
see that they don't have a thing to do with your cat. You do it for
convenience and cost consideration.

You asked how to help your cat lose weight, and cutting out dry is the best
way to do that and improve his overall health. From the point of view of
someone who has done this more than once. You're a fool to feed your cat,
particularly your male cat, dry food. You'll be back in here telling us he
has a blockage at some point.

Old July 6th 09, 05:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Netmask

"Kalmia" wrote in message

Tonight starts his new regimen. Half a cup dry in the morning. Half a
can (not that itty bitty size) in the evening

Dry food is really bad for your cat, particularly since he is a male. But
what do you care?

Aw, c'mon, - I bet I can find plenty of opinions on the all-wet diet
too. My vet had him on all-dry for years.

Cats are carnivores and should eat fresh meat only - that's what they
live on in the wild - fresh kill

Would you believe a study into lung cancer financed by tobacco
companies? Well vets in order to survive financially have to use and
recommend a whole lot of vaccines, additives and processed foods - they
get free samples etc.. try asking the question 'do you or can you get
mercury free vaccines?' I bet they will shuffle their feet, possibly say
never heard of it or say it's too expensive. Dry food is made of crap -
another way we get rid of waste products, just like the fast food
industry. next step Soylent Green!!!
Old July 6th 09, 02:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S

Vets are selling cat food. Examine your reasons for feeding dry and you'll
see that they don't have a thing to do with your cat. You do it for
convenience and cost consideration.

You asked how to help your cat lose weight, and cutting out dry is the best
way to do that and improve his overall health. From the point of view of
someone who has done this more than once.

cybercat is right. I went through what you did, buying prescription
food and carefullyl measuring it out. My cat was miserable and so was
I having to listen to his constant crying for food. Since I've
switched to a grain free canned food (I use Wellness, there are other
brands too), everyone has been much happier. See his web site for
information: http://community-2.webtv.net/getcathelp/tucker/

FWIW, my Tucker is 11 and maintains his weight (14 lb. 1o oz) on one
can of Wellness per day. This is what works for him, each cat is
different, but just to give you an idea.
Old July 7th 09, 01:44 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmc

Suddenly, without warning, cybercat exclaimed (7/4/2009 11:23 PM):
"Kalmia" wrote in message

Tonight starts his new regimen. Half a cup dry in the morning. Half a
can (not that itty bitty size) in the evening

Dry food is really bad for your cat, particularly since he is a male. But
what do you care?

I would have said it different, but cybercat has a point. I made the
same mistake, fed my cat all dry (though good quality) for her first 7
years. At that point she developed cystitis and my vet at that time
told me it can be caused, or exacerbated, by dry food. Cystitis in a
male cat is a very serious problem, and can kill very quickly.

That said, I can't seem to get Meep entirely off of dry food. It's
become a balancing act between a good diet and a good weight - when I
had her on all wet she got at least two pounds underweight. I've had to
put dry food - Royal Canin veterinary urinary - back into her diet in
order to get some weight back ON her.

So, I don't think what you're doing is horrible, but I think you should
try to wean him off the wet food completely, if you can. Half dry is
better than all dry.

jmc
Old July 7th 09, 01:47 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmc

Suddenly, without warning, Netmask exclaimed (7/6/2009 12:50 AM):

Cats are carnivores and should eat fresh meat only - that's what they
live on in the wild - fresh kill

Well, yea, but that's not always practical or possible in the real world.

Meep resolutely refuses to eat ANY kind of meat that doesnt' come out of
a cat food can - cooked, raw, chicken, beef, even kangaroo, she refuses
it all. Except seafood (loves shrimp, salmon and tuna). Phooey.

jmc
Old July 7th 09, 06:46 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Netmask

jmc wrote:
Suddenly, without warning, Netmask exclaimed (7/6/2009 12:50 AM):

Cats are carnivores and should eat fresh meat only - that's what they
live on in the wild - fresh kill

Well, yea, but that's not always practical or possible in the real world.

Meep resolutely refuses to eat ANY kind of meat that doesnt' come out of
a cat food can - cooked, raw, chicken, beef, even kangaroo, she refuses
it all. Except seafood (loves shrimp, salmon and tuna). Phooey.

jmc

well in the real world unless one lives in antartica there are butcher
and fish monger shops, deli's etc as most of the world are meat eaters.
The secret is to mix a bit of the tinned poison with fresh meat slowly
changing the balance.
Old July 7th 09, 04:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Granby

I think this has to be done at a very early age. Know several who have
tried changing to raw food and in the 4 cases, none has worked. Not sure
with chicken and some beef I would even want to do that these days. Aw
well, to each their own.