Cat will only cuddle in one spot?

Old December 14th 04, 05:50 PM
Al Puzzuoli

Default Cat will only cuddle in one spot?

Hi,

I have a kitty who is very affectionate and likes to cuddle. Problem is
he will only do so under very specific circumstances. If I sit in bed
with my legs under the covers, he will crawl up into my lap and stay
there for hours; However, this appears to be the only time he's ever
in a cuddling mood. He really enjoys being petted and I'm happy to
oblige, but I wish I could persuade him to sit in my lap when I'm
working at my desk, on the couch watching tv, at the kitchen table
drinking coffee, etc. The way things are now, in order to pet him, I
have to specifically set time aside, stop what I'm doing and get into
bed. If I try to pet him at any other time, he thinks it's a game, time
to play chase, whatever. Throughout the day, I try to pick him up and
put him in my lap. He will actually stay and pur for a few seconds and
then it's like he suddenly remembers himself and squirms to get away.

I'm just curious if anyone has experienced a similar situation and found
a solution?

Thanks,

--Al

Old December 14th 04, 06:06 PM
J1Boss

my legs under the covers, he will crawl up into my lap and stay
there for hours; .................
I'm just curious if anyone has experienced a similar situation and found
a solution?

Thanks,

--Al

We call it "blankie syndrome" around here. Both my male cats have preferred
for me to have a blanket on my lap before they snuggle in - like a hammock of
support I guess. Even in summer (with AC on of course!), I sit with a blanket
on my lap while watching TV and it's an instant invitation for a cat in the
lap.

Maybe get a small blanket designated for this, and throw it on your lap
whenever you want to invite him to cuddle.

Janet Boss
http://bestfriendsdogobedience.com/
http://photos.yahoo.com/bestfriendsobedience

Old December 14th 04, 06:16 PM
ceb

Al Puzzuoli wrote in
:

[...]

How long have you had him? It sounds to me like you are doing all the
right things -- giving him affection on his terms and encouraging him to
expand his horizons. It may just take some time for him to get used to
the idea.

You mention that he thinks you're playing when you try to pet him -- are
you having play sessions with him? Rosalie loves a toy called the "Cat
Charmer" -- it's a wand with a fleece tail attached -- and I have used it
to lure her into places she was hesitant about -- up on the sofa, up on
the bed, into the den, that kind of thing. Playing is also good for
developing your bond with your cat, and may lead to increased displays of
affection.

--Catherine
& Rosalie the calicohead
Old December 14th 04, 06:24 PM
mlbriggs

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 18:06:36 +0000, J1Boss wrote:

[quoted text muted]

We call it "blankie syndrome" around here. Both my male cats have
preferred for me to have a blanket on my lap before they snuggle in - like
a hammock of support I guess. Even in summer (with AC on of course!), I
sit with a blanket on my lap while watching TV and it's an instant
invitation for a cat in the lap.

Maybe get a small blanket designated for this, and throw it on your lap
whenever you want to invite him to cuddle.

Janet Boss
http://bestfriendsdogobedience.com/
http://photos.yahoo.com/bestfriendsobedience

I use a bath towel. It also protects my legs from kitty claws.
I also use this time for combing and brushing and the towel protects my
clothes from loose fur. MLB

Old December 14th 04, 11:51 PM
Mrschief44

When I adopted my Sara she was so small they figured maybe about 6-7 weeks old.
I went to WalMart and bought a baby's receiving blanket. I would put her in the
blanket and walk around the house doing stuff with her nestled in the crook of
my arm, she slept like a baby. At night I would put the blanket in her bed and
she would curl up, real cute, if the blanket wasn't there she would look at me
and cry, that was my signal to go get the blanket.. Now that she's 8 months old
she still likes that blanket, when she wants to cuddle on the couch with me she
will actually drag that blanket out of her bed and head for the couch. The only
problem I have is when I have to wash the blanket it takes her awhile to
realize that it's her blanket. I have another older cat and Sara won't let
Hannah near the blanket.
Gotta love kitties
Dianne
Old December 15th 04, 12:31 AM
Al Puzzuoli

How long have you had him? It sounds to me like you are doing all the
right things -- giving him affection on his terms and encouraging him to
expand his horizons. It may just take some time for him to get used to
the idea.

You mention that he thinks you're playing when you try to pet him -- are
you having play sessions with him? Rosalie loves a toy called the "Cat
Charmer" -- it's a wand with a fleece tail attached -- and I have used it
to lure her into places she was hesitant about -- up on the sofa, up on
the bed, into the den, that kind of thing. Playing is also good for
developing your bond with your cat, and may lead to increased displays of
affection.

--Catherine
& Rosalie the calicohead

I've had him for almost three years now, since he was a kitten. We play
all the time. In fact I think if he had his way, we would be playing
24-7. He loves to play more than anything and will make a game out of
just about any event that occurs: If I go downstairs, he runs ahead of
me, rolls on the ground with his legs in the air and wants to be petted.
When I'm done feeding him and go back up it's a race. He lets me get a
head start and then goes up the stairs full speed to win. I have toys
for him as well, though he makes toys out of anything he finds on the
ground. His favorite toy, at least of those that are actually meant to
be toys, is a little mouse on a string. He likes to chase the string
end more than the mouse end but ifI swing that around, he'll chase that
until he gets so tired he can barely breathe.

--Al

Old December 15th 04, 12:46 AM
Mary

"Al Puzzuoli" wrote :

I've had him for almost three years now, since he was a kitten. We play
all the time. In fact I think if he had his way, we would be playing
24-7. He loves to play more than anything and will make a game out of
just about any event that occurs: If I go downstairs, he runs ahead of
me, rolls on the ground with his legs in the air and wants to be petted.
When I'm done feeding him and go back up it's a race. He lets me get a
head start and then goes up the stairs full speed to win. I have toys
for him as well, though he makes toys out of anything he finds on the
ground. His favorite toy, at least of those that are actually meant to
be toys, is a little mouse on a string. He likes to chase the string
end more than the mouse end but ifI swing that around, he'll chase that
until he gets so tired he can barely breathe.

He sounds like a wonderful cat. I want to see photos!

Old December 15th 04, 01:17 AM
mlbriggs

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 18:24:36 +0000, mlbriggs wrote:

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 18:06:36 +0000, J1Boss wrote:

[quoted text muted]

We call it "blankie syndrome" around here. Both my male cats have
preferred for me to have a blanket on my lap before they snuggle in - like
a hammock of support I guess. Even in summer (with AC on of course!), I
sit with a blanket on my lap while watching TV and it's an instant
invitation for a cat in the lap.

Maybe get a small blanket designated for this, and throw it on your lap
whenever you want to invite him to cuddle.

Janet Boss
http://bestfriendsdogobedience.com/
http://photos.yahoo.com/bestfriendsobedience

I use a bath towel. It also protects my legs from kitty claws.
I also use this time for combing and brushing and the towel protects my
clothes from loose fur. MLB

Does anyone know if r.p.c.anecdotes is still viable? I have been unable
to access it in over a week? Would appreciate any information. MLB