cat won't use litterbox anymore

Old February 18th 05, 12:26 AM
rachel76

Default cat won't use litterbox anymore

please, my mother needs desperate help.Her cat has decided he doesn't want
to use his litterbox.She has caught him sevral times using the bathroom in
the corner.Any advice would be very much apperciated.Thanks!!

Old February 18th 05, 05:22 AM
Dan M

rachel76 wrote:
please, my mother needs desperate help.Her cat has decided he doesn't want
to use his litterbox.She has caught him sevral times using the bathroom in
the corner.Any advice would be very much apperciated.Thanks!!

Hs she taken him to the vet? That can be a symptom of a urinary tract
infection, or of other health issues.

Old February 18th 05, 10:06 AM
Lesley Madigan

"rachel76" wrote in message alkaboutpets.com...
please, my mother needs desperate help.Her cat has decided he doesn't want
to use his litterbox.She has caught him sevral times using the bathroom in
the corner.Any advice would be very much apperciated.Thanks!!

Hi Rachel

I had a problem with litterbox refusal and some people on the health
and behavior group suggested using 2 boxes, which solved the problem
for me.

She should clean the area he's using with something that smells strong
and unpleasant to a cat (I find lemon scented Flash is a good one-
don;t know if you can get that where you are) as once his scent is on
the place he'll regard it as "his" place.

Other than that has there been some change recently e.g. introducing a
new cat into the house, rebuilding work...Cats sometimes protest this
way

How old is the cat? Neuteured or not?

Lesley

Slave to the Fabulous Furballs
Old February 18th 05, 02:04 PM
rachel76

Thanks for the advice, Hoppy(the cat) is about 4 and is neutered. We
believe he is just doing this to be mean.He is the only cat, but they have
been doing some remolding.We think maybe he is just mad about that.
She has called the vet and they said there is nothing that she can do.
Thanks for the tip on spraying something unpleasent, i'll have her try
that. This is getting a little crazy, but she loves her cat so much,Thanks

Old February 18th 05, 02:11 PM
Dan M

rachel76 wrote:
Thanks for the advice, Hoppy(the cat) is about 4 and is neutered. We
believe he is just doing this to be mean.He is the only cat, but they have
been doing some remolding.We think maybe he is just mad about that.
She has called the vet and they said there is nothing that she can do.
Thanks for the tip on spraying something unpleasent, i'll have her try
that. This is getting a little crazy, but she loves her cat so much,Thanks

If she called the vet but didn't take Hoppy in, a trip to the vet might
still be in order. A check for a UTI should probably still be done.

Old February 19th 05, 01:48 AM
ChildFree23

Most importantly:
- Is the cat neutered?
- When was the last time the cat went to the vet for a
checkup?
- Is he eating and drinking normally?

I don't know what to tell you, other than put newspaper down
in the spots where the cat is doing his business. It may not
look too attractive, but cleanup sure will be easier.

Debby

lkaboutpets.com...

Old February 19th 05, 02:06 AM
ChildFree23

Thanks for the advice, Hoppy(the cat) is about 4 and is
neutered. We
believe he is just doing this to be mean.He is the only cat,
but they have
been doing some remolding.We think maybe he is just mad
about that.
She has called the vet and they said there is nothing that
she can do.
Thanks for the tip on spraying something unpleasent, i'll
have her try
that. This is getting a little crazy, but she loves her cat
so much,Thanks

You obviously don't know a heck of a lot about cats. They
don't do things like peeing/pooping in the corner to be mean.
They do it because they're either sick or upset about
something.

I still think Hoppy needs to see the vet, so call the vet back
and this time be a little more assertive -- or find a
different vet.

Meowmie Debby

Old February 19th 05, 07:05 PM

ChildFree23 wrote:
[...]

Does Hoppy have a favorite room that is as far as possible from the
remodeling? Is there a radio in that room that can help mask the
noise? If you put Hoppy there and tell the remodeling guys that that
room is TOTALLY AND FOREVER OFFLIMITS, that might help (particularly if
you can lock the room). One of the guys could be harassing Hoppy when
you or your mom are not around.
Then when the guys are gone for the day, let Hoppy out, coo at him, and
cuddle him when he is ready. This may calm him down and he might quit.
Then again, bless their little socks, they just take these
things into their heads....Good luck! from the CooperCats mom who has
cats who think that one of them should poop on the floor everynight.
Geesh!

Old February 20th 05, 03:05 AM
rachel76

Hoppy has been checked out and he is fine. I wasn't saying that he was
being mean the way it was taken. I meant more like he was just being
stressed i guess and taking it out on the carpet.
The remolding has been done for awhile now and he just started not using
the litterbox.
We will take some of the helpful suggestions we have gotten. Thank you for
your time.