Purrs for a victim of the streets (RB)

Old March 2nd 05, 05:33 PM
L. (usenetlyn)

Default Purrs for a victim of the streets (RB)

This AM I found a dead calico on one of our more busier streets. I
pulled over and checked her - she was intact but not breathing. Pretty
little thing - 8 months or so old. No collar. I took her to my vet
and they checked her for a chip - no chip. They are going to keep her
and see if anyone calls. I will look for "lost cat" signs this week.
:*( I hate this.

-L.

Old March 2nd 05, 05:46 PM
jmcquown

L. (usenetlyn) wrote:
This AM I found a dead calico on one of our more busier streets. I
pulled over and checked her - she was intact but not breathing.
Pretty little thing - 8 months or so old. No collar. I took her to
my vet and they checked her for a chip - no chip. They are going to
keep her and see if anyone calls. I will look for "lost cat" signs
this week. :*( I hate this.

-L.

That's so sad! But maybe she was a feral. If she wasn't, dirty litterbox
offerings for people who let her roam near a busy street! Purrs they find
her family; maybe it will teach them a (horrible) lesson.

Jill

Old March 2nd 05, 05:51 PM
Karen

Awww. That's terrible, but you at least have a bit of a chance finding the
owner if it had one. Purring that the little one now has many playmates.

oups.com...

Old March 2nd 05, 05:54 PM
Christina Websell

"L. (usenetlyn)" wrote in message
oups.com...
This AM I found a dead calico on one of our more busier streets. I
pulled over and checked her - she was intact but not breathing. Pretty
little thing - 8 months or so old. No collar. I took her to my vet
and they checked her for a chip - no chip. They are going to keep her
and see if anyone calls. I will look for "lost cat" signs this week.
:*( I hate this.

-L.

I hate it too. It's quite a few years since I saw a road victim here, but I
saw one last week, on my way to work. A tabby, definitely not alive, but at
least someone had moved the body out of the way of the traffic so it didn't
get continually run over and flattened. That's another thing I hate.
I wanted to stop, but it was the rush hour and I had cars crowding behind as
I slowed a little to look. It was obviously too late, otherwise I would
have stopped regardless.
On the way home I was going to try and stop as I knew the traffic would be a
little less busy, in case there was a collar on.. But he/she was gone.
I hope the owners came and got it. It's heartbreaking to have a cat run
over, but worse to have a missing one and never know what happened.

There is not much traffic where I live. The road I live on does not go
anywhere, so only the people who live here drive up and down it and not very
fast, either. I haven't heard a car go past for at least half an hour. so I
suppose that's as safe as it gets for outdoor kitties, unless of course, you
live in the middle of nowhere. Hard to do in England ;-) Easier in
Scotland, Wales & Ireland.

Tweed

Old March 2nd 05, 05:59 PM
Kreisleriana

On 2 Mar 2005 09:33:11 -0800, "L. (usenetlyn)"
yodeled:

This AM I found a dead calico on one of our more busier streets. I
pulled over and checked her - she was intact but not breathing. Pretty
little thing - 8 months or so old. No collar. I took her to my vet
and they checked her for a chip - no chip. They are going to keep her
and see if anyone calls. I will look for "lost cat" signs this week.
:*( I hate this.

-L.

Purrs for the poor little mite. May she find a full complement of
RCPA kitties to welcome her to the bridge.

Theresa
Old March 2nd 05, 06:20 PM
mlbriggs

On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 09:33:11 -0800, L. (usenetlyn) wrote:

This AM I found a dead calico on one of our more busier streets. I
pulled over and checked her - she was intact but not breathing. Pretty
little thing - 8 months or so old. No collar. I took her to my vet
and they checked her for a chip - no chip. They are going to keep her
and see if anyone calls. I will look for "lost cat" signs this week.
:*( I hate this.

-L.

Yes this happens far too often. Purrs for the kitten at the Bridge. MLB

Old March 2nd 05, 10:00 PM
HRFLTiger

Christina Websell wrote:
I hate it too. It's quite a few years since I saw a road victim

here, but I
saw one last week, on my way to work. A tabby, definitely not alive,

but at
least someone had moved the body out of the way of the traffic so it

didn't
get continually run over and flattened. That's another thing I

hate.///

That's the one thing I absolutely HATE about my Scottish wildcat
research. I am reliant on killed RTA victims for the genetic analysis.
I try very hard to swicth off and be pragmatic, by trying to convince
myself at least by me using them for my research their deaths haven't
been in vain, but I always say a prayer for them to go to the bridge.
The hardest is when the cats coming in are obviously pets. We get far
too many road victims. 4 this week alone. (

Helen M

Old March 3rd 05, 06:24 AM
Melissa Houle

L. (usenetlyn) wrote in message
oups.com...
This AM I found a dead calico on one of our more busier streets. I
pulled over and checked her - she was intact but not breathing. Pretty
little thing - 8 months or so old. No collar. I took her to my vet
and they checked her for a chip - no chip. They are going to keep her
and see if anyone calls. I will look for "lost cat" signs this week.
:*( I hate this.

-L.

I hope for her sake it was fast. =o( Purrs for the poor thing, I hope she
is at play at the far side of the RB. I remember one time a few years ago,
I saw a dead black and white spotted cat on the side of a busy street in
Cupertino. I was so relieved to go home and find Isadora safe and well, even
though at the time, I knew she could not be the victim, as I was 15 miles
and more from home. But it was still a sad sight. =o( Bless you for taking
the time to take the calico's body to a vet to see if there was any owner to
notify.

Melissa

Old March 3rd 05, 07:33 AM
L. (usenetlyn)

Melissa Houle wrote:

I hope for her sake it was fast. =o(

I think it was. Her neck appeared to be broken.

Purrs for the poor thing, I hope she
is at play at the far side of the RB. I remember one time a few

years ago,
I saw a dead black and white spotted cat on the side of a busy

street in
Cupertino. I was so relieved to go home and find Isadora safe and

well, even
though at the time, I knew she could not be the victim, as I was 15

miles
and more from home. But it was still a sad sight. =o( Bless you for

taking
the time to take the calico's body to a vet to see if there was any

owner to
notify.

Melissa

Thank you. I always keep gloves, a carrier and a shovel in my car when
I can. I once had the opportunity to help someone who's boxer had been
gruesomely hit on Almaden Expressway in San Jose - and it was one of
those situations that changed my life. I never want anyone to find
their animal like that, ever again. And I know if that happened to one
of my pets, I would want someone to care enough to stop and care for
their body. :*(

-L.

Old March 3rd 05, 03:28 PM
Adrian

L. (usenetlyn) wrote:
This AM I found a dead calico on one of our more busier streets. I
pulled over and checked her - she was intact but not breathing.
Pretty little thing - 8 months or so old. No collar. I took her to
my vet and they checked her for a chip - no chip. They are going to
keep her and see if anyone calls. I will look for "lost cat" signs
this week. :*( I hate this.

-L.

How very sad, at least she was found by someone who cared.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy & Bagheera)
A house is not a home, without a cat.

Multi-purpose purrs jmcquown Cat anecdotes 22 November 23rd 04 02:16 PM
Purrs for Rosie Jo Firey Cat anecdotes 137 October 15th 04 11:36 AM
Truck Purrs jmcquown Cat anecdotes 18 October 5th 04 02:40 PM
Travel purrs Karen Chuplis Cat anecdotes 33 August 13th 04 06:00 PM
Purrs for Lacey Julie Cook Cat anecdotes 25 November 19th 03 05:20 AM