And when I came home

Old September 21st 03, 07:58 PM
JHBennett

Default And when I came home

Whistled and set the food out for Bootsie, our new mother, and White
Stocking this morning. WS showed and went through *flop down, roll around,
scratch my head, my tummy, pet my back while I rub against your legs*
greeting ritual. Bootsie, however, didn't show for roll call and, with the
neighbor from hell still in business, I was a little concerned. Apparently
she was only tending to her newfound responsibilities since, upon my return
from getting a paper, she had her nose in the cat food. Interestingly, she
left the food to come greet me and was waiting when I opened the car door.
Feral cats, right?
Cheers,
Jack

Old September 21st 03, 08:05 PM
jmcquown

JHBennett wrote:
Whistled and set the food out for Bootsie, our new mother, and White
Stocking this morning. WS showed and went through *flop down, roll
around, scratch my head, my tummy, pet my back while I rub against
your legs* greeting ritual. Bootsie, however, didn't show for roll
call and, with the neighbor from hell still in business, I was a
little concerned. Apparently she was only tending to her newfound
responsibilities since, upon my return from getting a paper, she had
her nose in the cat food. Interestingly, she left the food to come
greet me and was waiting when I opened the car door. Feral cats,
right?
Cheers,
Jack

Sounds like you have definitely been adopted. Can't wait until Bootsie
teachs her litter to come greet you, too!

Jill

Old September 21st 03, 09:42 PM
JHBennett

"jmcquown" wrote in message
.. .
JHBennett wrote:
Whistled and set the food out for Bootsie, our new mother, and White
Stocking this morning. WS showed and went through *flop down, roll
around, scratch my head, my tummy, pet my back while I rub against
your legs* greeting ritual. Bootsie, however, didn't show for roll
call and, with the neighbor from hell still in business, I was a
little concerned. Apparently she was only tending to her newfound
responsibilities since, upon my return from getting a paper, she had
her nose in the cat food. Interestingly, she left the food to come
greet me and was waiting when I opened the car door. Feral cats,
right?
Cheers,
Jack

Sounds like you have definitely been adopted. Can't wait until Bootsie
teachs her litter to come greet you, too!

Jill

Be interesting to see if that happens, Jill. I wonder if she would
tollerate my approaching where she has the kittens? Any thoughts or
advise? I can't tell whether she has them in the shop or the shed next door
to it, but the glitch is I really need to do some work in the shop....not
right away, but before too many days pass.
Funny thing of it is they are getting to the point where they will come
to me without the call for chow. They aren't very trusting of others and
take off like a shot, when anyone else shows up. Also, any unfamiliar noise
will send them flying. For a period, it was OK for them to approach me, but
not conversely. Lately, they will tollerate my going up to them. The
ultimate aim, of course, is to get them safely to their new country home,
before we move...or the neighbor does them in. I've got him checkmated with
the animal shelter. Whenever they make a pickup from him, they give me a
call and I bail them out, then arrange passage to the hog farm. Problem is,
the shelter is closed on weekends, so if he gets one of them then, it gets
ugly.
I find it kind of neat, but yesterday I made the mistake of touching my
face before washing my hands. Yup, eyes nearly swollen shut and miserable
burning sensation that lasted for hours.
Cheers,
Jack

Old September 22nd 03, 12:26 AM
m. L. Briggs

On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 07:58:07 +1000, "Yowie"
wrote:

"JHBennett" wrote:

[...]

Hi Jack, I don't know your financial or health insurance state, so I may be
out of place, but there are treatements for cat allergies if you want to pet
the cats and not worry so much about washing your hands immediatley after. I
don't assume that they'd be cheap, though, but I know they are available
here in Australia, and therefore can't see why the same or better treatments
aren't available where you are.

What they do is slowly desensitise you to your worst allergies. Thats not to
say that you'll suddenly turn into a person who is not allergic to cats, but
the reaction to them may come down from where you are now to a much milder
very slight irritation which is easier to deal with if it happens. I've also
heard that naturpaths can do wonders for allergy sufferers, but I'm on the
sceptic side there.

It seems such a shame for someone who clearly loves cats and is loved back
to suffer so much because of them. I hope one day a very special
hypo-allergenic kitty finds you.

Yowie

I read that the Devon Rex was less likely to cause allergies. I
believe it was in Cat Fancy magazine a couple of years ago.
Old September 22nd 03, 02:30 AM
Hopitus2

ROFL, Yowie! Tugboat, who has been at RB since '96 or so, was mainly Turkish
Van and he didn't like water any more than the other feline Masters
here......much less hang in or even *near* the Porcelain Throne! Am sure my
Aunt Hollis, who loved him dearly, would've hauled him over the Bridge with
her long ago........I'm allergic to household dust - try eliminating *that*
from your surroundings - but not cats, in any way, shape, or form; my
allergist pounced on "cats" first thing, but the only thing that really gets
me like Mr. Briggs describes is wool near my face....not a frequent thing in
FL, but visiting Denver once, they gave me wool blanket and in the morning
I looked like something from another planet - red, swollen face, tiny slitty
eyes, spotty face rash.....all from wool near face. Poor Mr. Briggs, as he
loves cats and I can take or leave wool.....

"m. L. Briggs" wrote in message
: On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 07:58:07 +1000, "Yowie"
: wrote:
:
:

Old September 22nd 03, 07:09 AM
JHBennett

"Pat" wrote in message

"JHBennett" wrote in message
I made the mistake of touching my
face before washing my hands. Yup, eyes nearly swollen shut and

miserable
burning sensation that lasted for hours.

Jack, I have heard that stopping the consumption of dairy products -
especially milk but also ice cream, cheese, etc. - will cause allergies to
vanish over time. If you aren't too hooked on dairy foods, why not give it

try. There are plenty of non-dairy substitutes available: soy milk, rice
milk, almond milk, oat milk, soy cheeses, soy ice cream, etc. etc.

Oh dear, Pat, I'm an absolute cheese freak; like an entire shelf of the
refrigerator. I keep backups of my favorites or the hard to find. A half
gallon of milk, however, will last until it goes bad around here. As for
ice cream, I think I had some this month. Otherwise, Mother is the one who
expects to find it in the freezer, although she won't say much about it when
we're out for a week or so.
I also have an extreme and unreasonable bias against soy, which I intend
to nuture far into the future. That got started when I ordered Shrimp and
they brought me chopped up shrimp meat, extended with soy protien, breaded
with something soggy, and dripping with heaven only knows what kind of oil
(the way everything else went, I suspect they used lard).
I appreciate the information, and your thoughtfulness for wanting to
help, but don't force me to choose between cheese and cats, Pat ;-))))))))
Incidentally, I think I've also heard something about that elsewhere,
some time ago, so there might be something to it.
Cheers,
Jack

Old September 22nd 03, 10:42 PM
m. L. Briggs

On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 21:30:05 -0400, "Hopitus2"
wrote:

ROFL, Yowie! Tugboat, who has been at RB since '96 or so, was mainly Turkish
Van and he didn't like water any more than the other feline Masters
here......much less hang in or even *near* the Porcelain Throne! Am sure my
Aunt Hollis, who loved him dearly, would've hauled him over the Bridge with
her long ago........I'm allergic to household dust - try eliminating *that*
from your surroundings - but not cats, in any way, shape, or form; my
allergist pounced on "cats" first thing, but the only thing that really gets
me like Mr. Briggs describes is wool near my face....not a frequent thing in
FL, but visiting Denver once, they gave me wool blanket and in the morning
I looked like something from another planet - red, swollen face, tiny slitty
eyes, spotty face rash.....all from wool near face. Poor Mr. Briggs, as he
loves cats and I can take or leave wool.....
FYI: I appreciate your sympathy ---poor Mr. Briggs" is actually an 85year old

grandmother, mother, and cat fancier. I don't use my first name as it
is already in use. MLB

"m. L. Briggs" wrote in message
.. .
: On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 07:58:07 +1000, "Yowie"
: wrote:
:
:

Old September 23rd 03, 12:03 AM
JHBennett

Hey, thanks for the information, Jette. I'll certainly consider it in my
planning for our move and such. In all candor, I've been toying with the
notion of moving White Stocking with us, perhaps because forging some trust
with him has been a lengthy process and now he comes apparently just to be
sociable. He's definately a well fed cat, however, lately, when I whistle
to announce chow call, he comes and we fool around (he's gotten to the point
where I can pick him up, briefly) then, like as not, will ignore the canned
cat food and walk back to his haunt, on top of my boat, when I leave. So
I've been thinking about the possibility of moving him and letting him be an
outside pet. The problem is, our new place is only 4 blocks from here and
the neighbor from hell is still in business. Otherwise, he's come into the
house exploring at first and now apparently making extended visits. Mother
has discovered him curled up on her pillow (how do they know?), as she
prepared for bed, a few times. When she goes into her room, he'll arise,
stretch, and exit via the kitchen critter door, at an unhurried pace. He's
also come into the living room several times exploring and, on at least 3
occasions, taken naps under the coffee table--a neat place to hide since the
cover comes down to within a couple of inches of the floor. He's definately
his own cat and far from what I'd call tame, but *we* seem to be slowly
establishing some new limits. I find it interesting.
Cheers,
Jack

"Jette Goldie" wrote in message

"JHBennett" wrote
At times I've wondered, if you washed a cat on a daily basis??????

But
just how you'd pull that one off could be a bit problematical. My

wounds
from Miss Kitty are still visable, you know ;-)

Jack, in the UK there is a product called "Petal Cleanse".
Cuts down the dander that causes most allergic reactions.
I just googled on it and find that it is now available in the
US. My friend uses it because her son is allergic and
says it has been very useful indeed.

http://www.turnyourpassionintoprofit.com/danderfree/

And I KNOW that one British university was working on
an innocculation for cat allergies and expected to have
something available in the next few years.

--
Jette
"Work for Peace and remain Fiercely Loving" - Jim Byrnes

http://www.jette.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Old September 23rd 03, 07:01 AM
m. L. Briggs

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 01:11:53 -0400, "Hopitus2"
wrote:

Well, whatever you are......allergies are a major annoyance at best.
Apologies for calling you something other than what you are are in order, I
believe. I don't use my real name either and I haven't got even one of these
strange Microsoft emails. Hopitus1 is at the RB but Hopitus2
isn't.......yet.
Yes I've had allergies since I was a child -- so has my son -- as a matter of fact just about everyone I know

or knew has some kind of allergy. Cigarette smoke and dust are the
worst. Carrots used to make my mouth blister but now don't bother me
at all. Longhaired cats bother me some, but fortunately I've always
had shorthaired ones. Microsoft worm: I had lots. I spent
yesterday making patches and upgrades so today seems OK -- just a
few.e spared. Give Hospitus 2 a loving pet from me. MLB

.. .
: wrote:
:
[...]
: "m. L. Briggs" wrote in message
: .. .
: : On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 07:58:07 +1000, "Yowie"
: : wrote:
: :
: :

Old September 25th 03, 01:47 AM
Lynda Nelson

The best cat out there for cat allergies is the Siberian. I
discovered that quality in that breed back in 1995. For the best info
on that breed, visit www.siberiancats.com

Lynda