Gizmos New Friend

Old September 24th 03, 01:34 AM
Gizela

Default Gizmos New Friend

It appears that Gizmo has a new friend, in a tea towel!!! She never really
had a cuhion, or blanket or anything she liked.....until now. Its a fairly
plain "fluffy" tea towel, which I was going to throw out (has holes in it)
but she rescued it from the "rag pile" and now never leaves it. She sleeps
on it, attacks it and drags it to wherever she is going. It is very amusing.
We took some photos last night which I will be posting tomorrow (I slept in
this morning so didn't have time to transfer them to my computer).

The funniest thing though, is that when she cleans herself she also cleans
her "friend". My other half took it off her to wash last night and the
whingeing wasn't worth it, it can stay dirty for a while.

Does anybody elses cat have such a security blanket???

purrs to all

Angela and Gizmo and "the teatowel"

Old September 24th 03, 01:54 AM
OU812?

Gizela wrote:
It appears that Gizmo has a new friend, in a tea towel!!! She never
really had a cuhion, or blanket or anything she liked.....until now.
Its a fairly plain "fluffy" tea towel, which I was going to throw out
(has holes in it) but she rescued it from the "rag pile" and now
never leaves it. She sleeps on it, attacks it and drags it to
wherever she is going. It is very amusing. We took some photos last
night which I will be posting tomorrow (I slept in this morning so
didn't have time to transfer them to my computer).

The funniest thing though, is that when she cleans herself she also
cleans her "friend". My other half took it off her to wash last night
and the whingeing wasn't worth it, it can stay dirty for a while.

Does anybody elses cat have such a security blanket???

purrs to all

Angela and Gizmo and "the teatowel"

Awwww.. that's so sweet!! Tygra doesn't have a particular thing, but she
likes to lug Sarah's slippers and stuffed toys around to snuggle and play
with.

Kristy
the others just have fave spots or toys, not blankies
--
"As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly." - Arthur Carlson

Old September 24th 03, 03:31 AM
Brenda

"Gizela" u wrote in message
[...]

that's so cute! It reminds me of how my sister's cat "adopted" an earmuff.
Brenda

Old September 24th 03, 05:20 AM
Marina

"Gizela" u wrote
It appears that Gizmo has a new friend, in a tea towel!!!

How sweet! Have you ever considered getting Gizmo a little friend of her own
species? It sounds like she might like another cat.

OTOH, Jennie's Callisto drags her tea towels up the stairs every night,
though she has a kitty friend, so it might just be that some cats like tea
towels. D Mine have never showed any interest.

--
Marina, Frank and Nikki

Old September 24th 03, 06:01 AM
Steve Touchstone

On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 10:34:10 +1000, "Gizela"
u wrote:

It appears that Gizmo has a new friend, in a tea towel!!! She never really
had a cuhion, or blanket or anything she liked.....until now. Its a fairly
plain "fluffy" tea towel, which I was going to throw out (has holes in it)
but she rescued it from the "rag pile" and now never leaves it. She sleeps
on it, attacks it and drags it to wherever she is going. It is very amusing.
We took some photos last night which I will be posting tomorrow (I slept in
this morning so didn't have time to transfer them to my computer).

The funniest thing though, is that when she cleans herself she also cleans
her "friend". My other half took it off her to wash last night and the
whingeing wasn't worth it, it can stay dirty for a while.

Does anybody elses cat have such a security blanket???

purrs to all

Angela and Gizmo and "the teatowel"

A very cute story.

Back when Little Bit showed up, moved in and had her kittens, I had an
old pink beach towel that I put in the box with the kittens. Nowadays
that towel is kept in the carrier under the dining table, which Sammy
frequently takes naps in. (In fact she's asleep on it right now.) She
only sleeps on it two or three times a week, but if I move HER towel
out of the box she goes looking for it and will come up and ask where
it is.

BTW, back when I took Rocky in to be checked out and he spent two
nights at TED's, Sammy definitely missed her pink towel, and was not
too happy when it came back from TED smelling funny.
Old September 24th 03, 06:18 AM
Gizela

I'd love to get Gizmo a new playmate but I don't think my other half would
"let me" (I put that in inverted commas because if I *really* wanted to I
would, regardeless of what he said). Also, where she came from she was
picked on (as a kitten) by other bigger cats and tends to be a bit funny
with other cats.....either goes totally into her shell or picks fights with
them.

But I guess if I got a kitten she might "mother it". I am not sure. I've
entertained the idea for quite some time now. I'd love to rescue a little
kitten from the RSPCA (our animal welfare people here) but then again, if
Gizmo really hated it I don't think I could deal with it.

I love Gizmos personality too much to ruin it by getting another cat....but
then again

What does everybody think?

Purrs

Angela and Gizmo (and the tea towel)

"Gizela" u wrote

Old September 24th 03, 07:23 AM
JHBennett

"Gizela" u wrote in message
[...]

"Marina"

Hmmmm..... I'm not exactly a cat person, but I don't think that is
necessarily a hinderence to providing a little ....ah, call it *guidance.*
First let me ask you the hard question. You've stated, "I'd love to get
Gizmo a new playmate..." Can you articulate exactly why? Is it for her
benefit or your's? If for her's, does such a companion need to be another
cat? Why not a turtle or bunny or other non-threatening/docile animal? I
do think a turtle or armadillo could hold its own with a cat, under any
circumstances.
Second, let me ask, aren't you her buddy and playmate? Not trying to
lay a guilt trip on you, far from it. Rather, I'd suggest you examine what
you want your relationship with her to be. Is she to be top cat, with you?
Let me mention, we happened to have the world's greatest dog come to stay
with us. My folks got a second dog for the purpose you offer, to be a
companion and playmate. Frankly, Ginger was such a dominant force in this
household, Rattler's life might well have been something far less than
ideal. Ginger felt it was her job to keep him in line--even when he wasn't
out of line. So, I'm not real sure about Rattler's situation here, versus
someplace where he might have been the top dog of another home. Please
understand, I'm not trying to buy or sell a particular view. I know some
people have several cats and all runs joyfully. All I'm trying to advocate
is you're making a cold, logicall assessment of the potentials. If you
wish, sit down and list the pro's and con's objectively and keep in mind
that some have more weight than others, as it should be.
Finally, there's an old axiom of management: if it ain't broke, don't
fix it. Frankly, I believe you've already decided, but want some
reinforcement. You are the one who just wrote "I love Gizmo's personality
too much to ruin it by getting another cat...." I really think you're back
the the axiom of: "if it ain't broke...."
Also, bear in mind that no situation is forever static. Gizmo could
well become more confident, even an aggressive holy terror, and there is
nothing preventing your revisiting the matter, from time to time, as both
you and she evolve.
There! You asked a simple question and I managed to beat you to death
for it ;-) Sorry.
Cheers,
Jack

Old September 24th 03, 10:09 AM

Marina wrote:

"Gizela" u wrote
It appears that Gizmo has a new friend, in a tea towel!!!

OTOH, Jennie's Callisto drags her tea towels up the stairs every night,
though she has a kitty friend, so it might just be that some cats like
tea towels.

So, what *is* a tea towel??

Joyce, hopeless USA'an
Old September 24th 03, 02:31 PM
Marina

wrote

So, what *is* a tea towel??

Joyce, hopeless USA'an

Ummm... a kitchen towel? Don't know what you merikans call it.

--
Marina
Old September 24th 03, 02:42 PM
Marina

"Gizela" u wrote
[...]

It's hard to know; some cats love company, others prefer to be only cats. If
Gizmo has been aggressive to other cats before, she might still be
aggressive, but on the other hand, her behaviour against the tea towel just
made me think she might like a cat friend. If she felt threatened by the
bigger cats when she was a kitten, maybe she wouldn't feel threatened by a
kitten now that she is big herself.

My Frank was under a year old when I got Nikki for him. He was so obviously
lonely; he would sometimes just sit and stare vacantly in front of him in
such an apathetic way, and didn't react to any invitations to play. I felt I
had to get him a playmate, since I was obviously not doing a good enough job
entertaining him. It took less than 24 hours for them to become best
friends, and they still are, 15 years later. They do fight sometimes, but
not in earnest. Wrestling is just one of the things another cat can do so
much better than a human.

I could go on and on about the benefits of having two cats, but it all just
boils down to: does Gizmo want to be an only cat or not? Cats are so very
different in this respect, so it's hard to give advice.

--
Marina, Frank and Nikki