Cat Passed away

Old April 28th 17, 12:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Charles Devlin

Default Cat Passed away

We brought our cat into the Vet today for minor eye surgery ( lower eye lid).
Our cat (Phoebe) was 8 years old, and in good health. 5 hours later, the Vet called to say he was very sorry, but Phoebe passed away after surgery. My wife and I are devastated. We used all our savings to pay for the surgery to keep Phoebe's sight intact. Our only income is a small pension and social security.

The Vet wants the charges paid in full (487.00), plus $100.00 extra for attempting resuscitation and $200.00 for cremation which we haven't authorized..

Since we can't pay all of this up front, and we haven't picked her up for burial yet (they are closed for the evening), should we ask them to lower some of the charges? They seem rather closed to this idea when they called.

Chas
Old April 28th 17, 01:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cshenk

Charles Devlin wrote in rec.pets.cats.health+behav:

We brought our cat into the Vet today for minor eye surgery ( lower
eye lid). Our cat (Phoebe) was 8 years old, and in good health. 5
hours later, the Vet called to say he was very sorry, but Phoebe
passed away after surgery. My wife and I are devastated. We used all
our savings to pay for the surgery to keep Phoebe's sight intact. Our
only income is a small pension and social security.

The Vet wants the charges paid in full (487.00), plus $100.00 extra
for attempting resuscitation and $200.00 for cremation which we
haven't authorized.

Since we can't pay all of this up front, and we haven't picked her up
for burial yet (they are closed for the evening), should we ask them
to lower some of the charges? They seem rather closed to this idea
when they called.

Chas

Hi Chas, you do not have to pay them for cremation. You can pick up the
cat and use your local resources. It for example is leagal where I live
to bury a pet under 15 lbs in the yard. You do not have to tell them
anything other than 'you have made your own arrangements'.

Pay the origionally agreed bill for the surgery. Tell them they need
to give you a detailed list for 'resusitation' costs. This is normally
covered as part of the surgery. If they do not provide, take them (for
free) to small claims court.

Old April 28th 17, 02:52 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Mack A. Damia[_2_]

On Thu, 27 Apr 2017 16:09:10 -0700 (PDT), Charles Devlin
wrote:

We brought our cat into the Vet today for minor eye surgery ( lower eye lid).
Our cat (Phoebe) was 8 years old, and in good health. 5 hours later, the Vet called to say he was very sorry, but Phoebe passed away after surgery. My wife and I are devastated. We used all our savings to pay for the surgery to keep Phoebe's sight intact. Our only income is a small pension and social security.

The Vet wants the charges paid in full (487.00), plus $100.00 extra for attempting resuscitation and $200.00 for cremation which we haven't authorized.

Since we can't pay all of this up front, and we haven't picked her up for burial yet (they are closed for the evening), should we ask them to lower some of the charges? They seem rather closed to this idea when they called.

Sorry to hear about Phoebe. Don't jump into anything. Call the
Humane Society or ASPCA. That sounds like a very high charge
considering the totality of the circumstances. Get more advice!

Get the facts. Tell them that you cannot afford to pay that amount,
can they lower it or help out in some way?
Old May 3rd 17, 04:55 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
John Doe[_2_]

Charles Devlin wrote:

We brought our cat into the Vet today for minor eye surgery
( lower eye lid). Our cat (Phoebe) was 8 years old, and in
good health. 5 hours later, the Vet called to say he was
very sorry, but Phoebe passed away after surgery. My wife
and I are devastated. We used all our savings to pay for
the surgery to keep Phoebe's sight intact. Our only income
is a small pension and social security.

The Vet wants the charges paid in full (487.00), plus
$100.00 extra for attempting resuscitation and $200.00 for
cremation which we haven't authorized.

Since we can't pay all of this up front, and we haven't
picked her up for burial yet (they are closed for the
evening), should we ask them to lower some of the charges?
They seem rather closed to this idea when they called.

Wow. I most certainly would not pay them without knowing what
the cause of death was. Could have been malpractice.