Pondering the worst decision about Jackie

Old April 19th 05, 04:29 PM
dgk

Default Pondering the worst decision about Jackie

She isn't leaking any more. That's the good news. Very good news if
there were no other problems.

But she is really drooling and I've seen her tongue sticking out of
her mouth. That's bad. Most likely something going on in her toothless
mouth but it is almost impossible to get her to open it even for a
split second. She is on antibiotics and prednisone and an antibiotic
ointment for the ear that she is ripping apart. No idea why. There was
blood splattered over the window by the cat shelf where she likes to
lie sometimes. Quite a bit. No hair anywhere near that ear anymore.

She has gotten more unsteady as she walks and looks unhappy much of
the time. She still loves going outside though and can still make it
up and down the stairs.

I've got her on a raw diet, which is good because she barely eats
anything else. I think that she almost choked to death yesterday; I
was wondering how to give a cat mouth to mouth but she got it cleared
and ate some more. She is under five pounds.

Last night I held her and figured that I would probably have to put
her to sleep today but this morning she seemed lively again and was
still eating and drinking and standing by the back door waiting to go
out. Of course I had to go to work so no going out today.

I'm bringing her into the vet later this afternoon. And I have a call
into the surgeon who operated on her mouth and he should call back
soon. I feel that there may be a connection between the drooling and
the ear pain/itching that is driving her crazy. Maybe he has an idea.

But I don't want to put her through hell. I promised myself that I
wouldn't. Well, time will tell.

Old April 19th 05, 04:59 PM
CatNipped

"dgk" wrote in message
news
[...]

I'm so sorry! I've been following Jackie's story and I know how much you've
done for this poor little girl. The ultimate gift may not be far off - and
it's the hardest gift to give. My heart is breaking for you!

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old April 19th 05, 05:33 PM
Connie

She is on antibiotics and prednisone and an antibiotic
ointment for the ear that she is ripping apart. No idea why.

I haven't followed the story, so I am not sure if this has been addressed. I
recently had my cat in at the vets for her ripping into her ear also. My vet
said almost every time he sees this, it is a food allergy... steroids and
antibiotics DO NOT help. He said the food allergen can stay in their system
for as much as 2 months. He gave my cat a shot of steroids, in case it was
not a food allergy (or several allergies masked as one). Luckily, this has
helped my cat.. I think she just had severe allergies, and usually I manage
them at home, but this one went on to long and got to bad.

Old April 19th 05, 05:36 PM
Mary

"dgk" wrote in message
news
[...]

I'll keep good thoughts coming your way. I know you will
make the right decision for Jackie, you've been so good to
her.

Old April 19th 05, 05:45 PM
Cathy Friedmann

"dgk" wrote in message
news
[...]

Sounds like it's going to be a week-by-week, or day-by-day thing. If Jackie
is eating & drinking, & wanted to go out this morning, IMO the time isn't
right, even if she's otherwise looking crummy, & her ear's bothering her.
IOW, she's still following her routine, apparently, at least to a degree. I
think you'll know when the end of the line truly appears.

Cathy

Old April 19th 05, 06:18 PM
dgk

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 11:33:30 -0500, "Connie"
wrote:

She is on antibiotics and prednisone and an antibiotic
ointment for the ear that she is ripping apart. No idea why.

I haven't followed the story, so I am not sure if this has been addressed. I
recently had my cat in at the vets for her ripping into her ear also. My vet
said almost every time he sees this, it is a food allergy... steroids and
antibiotics DO NOT help. He said the food allergen can stay in their system
for as much as 2 months. He gave my cat a shot of steroids, in case it was
not a food allergy (or several allergies masked as one). Luckily, this has
helped my cat.. I think she just had severe allergies, and usually I manage
them at home, but this one went on to long and got to bad.

Could be I guess. It came on pretty suddenly. One day I noticed that
she was scratching her ear, the next day was far worse. We'll see what
the vet and dentist have to say. The drooling started around the same
time.
Old April 19th 05, 06:19 PM
dgk

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 12:45:07 -0400, "Cathy Friedmann"
wrote:

"dgk" wrote in message
news
[...]

It's just so hard to know. I'll take a picture so that everyone can
see this face. This is one unhappy looking cat.
Old April 19th 05, 06:23 PM
Cheryl

"dgk" wrote in message
news
[...]

I know how hard this is. The drooling sounds like nausea. I wonder if
metoclopromide could help that? It helped Shadow get past the nausea. Good
to read about the drippy butt. Good luck and scritches to her and my
thoughts are with you for whatever you have to do.

Old April 19th 05, 07:04 PM
mlbriggs

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 11:29:22 -0400, dgk wrote:

[...]

Purring that you make the right decision. Purring for a peaceful outcome
for kitty. MLB

Old April 19th 05, 07:21 PM
dgk

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 13:23:26 -0400, "Cheryl"
wrote:

"dgk" wrote in message
news
[...]

That ties in with an ear problem also.