Cat fine one minute, vicious the next

Old October 6th 05, 03:21 AM
Brian Link

Default Cat fine one minute, vicious the next

We've finally finished integrating Chloe into the household. The three
cats have established their pecking order, and can co-exist (the boys,
Tiger and Louis, retain their strong bond, and they give Chloe a wide
berth)..

Chloe on the other hand still exhibits some unusual behavior. She will
purr happily in your lap, and suddenly hiss and strike. I've been
around cats for 30+ years, and usually this means they have a
sensitive spot you've unwittingly touched, but she doesn't seem to
have one. I don't think she's overstimulated - she'll strike and howl,
and seconds later be back for more attention.

She's a six-year old, spayed, front-declawed female. I'm taking her to
the vet tomorrow to discover if there's any medical reason she's so
touchy. The last cat we owned that had this problem (my brother's cat
who was brought back from his Navy stint in Sicily) turned out to have
lead poisoning.Chloe was a shelter-kitten, and never spent much time
out of doors. Nonetheless, I'm gonna ask for blood work.

The declawing is of course a possibility - but I'm curious if any of
you have some new ideas about this type of behavior, and ideas on
mitigating it. Thanks for your help.

BLink
Old October 6th 05, 03:38 AM
Wendy

"Brian Link" wrote in message
[...]

The only time I've encountered this kind of behavior was with one of the
foster cats who couldn't tolerate catnip. Keep him away from the nip and he
was loving and friendly. Get him around catnip and he'd bite with no warning
or provocation.

Old October 6th 05, 03:46 AM
claudel

In article ,
Wendy wrote:

"Brian Link" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Heh.

Bubba's like that as well when he's on the 'nip.

I grew a patch this summer and I think the fresh green
might be a bit much for him.

He'll be purring away, loving being petted and then
all of a sudden it's 23 pounds of bunny kicking and biting.
Still purring too. At least he doesn't bite/kick as hard
as he probably can... That would probably do some damage.

He'll ambush strangers too. He'll roll over on his back
and present his (huge) belly for rubs and then WHAM...

He hasn't actually hurt anyone(yet) and is generally
really friendly with people, although he seems to be
scared witless of other cats. Strange creature.

He likes homemade Chili Verde too. Even the jalapenos.

Claude