Last night

Old September 3rd 14, 02:27 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

Default Last night

On 9/2/2014 5:37 PM, toci wrote:
On Tuesday, September 2, 2014 7:24:17 PM UTC-5, Joy wrote:
On 9/2/2014 4:33 PM, lid wrote:

Joy wrote:

On 9/1/2014 1:15 PM, Judith Latham wrote:

In article , Joy

wrote:

On 8/31/2014 3:22 PM, Joy wrote:

I never thought I'd be thrilled to be waked up from a sound sleep in

the middle of the night, but that happened last night. About 1:30

a.m. I woke to the feeling of my feet being repeatedly pounced on and

batted. I lay there for a couple of minutes, wishing Pickles would

settle down and go back to sleep. Then I turned my head and saw

Pickles lying on the other pillow. Koala played with my feet for 10

or 15 minutes. Then he laid down on the opposite corner of the bed

for a while. I shifted position and he jumped down, but a couple

minutes later he came up again and laid against my feet for a minute

or two. I was thrilled because that's the first time he's ever

approached me in any way.

Early this morning he woke me again. This time he had tried to jump

on the bed. However, my bent knees just happened to be in the spot

where he jumped, so he slid onto the ground. Instead of running away,

he sat in the doorway and looked at me for a long time.

Joy

Joy Unlimited Colorful Crocheted Critters Photos at

http://www.PictureTrail.com/joy9

I wrote the above yesterday. Last night was even better. Koala didn't

wait for me to turn off the light. I always lie in bed reading for a

while first. While I was reading, Koala came up and attacked my feet.

He even batted my hand once. It was on top of the covers, and he had

his claws out, so I jerked it away, but it was still pretty bold of him.

He still won't let me get to close to him during the daytime, but if I

sidle, rather than walking forward, go slowly, and don't go directly to

him, I can get within a couple of feet.

He and Pickles seem to have settled into a big sister-little brother

relationship. He pesters her until she hisses or slaps him, but they

are often fairly close to each other with no problems at all.

At one point I was walking out of the room just as he started to enter

it. When he saw me, it was like a cartoon, with legs flying in all

directions as he did a 180 and ran from the room.

Joy

--

Wow! That really is brilliant. I would think that thrilled is a bit of an

understatement. With Pickles accepting him too. It really is good.

Koala is realising he may have landed on his paws when he got you.

Judith

Yes, I'm feeling really good about the situation. He was playing while I

was eating lunch. I always sit in my recliner in the living room to eat.

When I finished, I got a toy on a string, and got him to play with it.

I sat in my chair, and he played all around it. Finally, he grabbed the

toy and ran off with it. In a few minutes he came back. He actually

bapped my feet a couple of times. He also watched very carefully a

little later when I was giving Pickles skritches and tummy rubs. I get

more hopeful all the time.

I love reading these updates. :-)

Thank you. I thought we'd had a setback yesterday. My gardener game,

with his noisy machines. While he was here some friends of mine came

over to help me with a computer problem. Both cats disappeared. They

didn't even come out for the treats they usually receive when I'm fixing

my dinner. Finally, about 9:30, while I was watching TV, Pickles came

out, but there was no sign of Koala.

However, when I got up to go into another room, Koala was on his bed,

rather than under it. After I got into bed, he hardly waited until I

settled down before he jumped up and attacked my feet. He played with

them until I turned the light out. Then he started walking on my legs.

He came up as far as my hip and sat down for a minute. He played with

my feet several times during the night. This morning he was very much

evident, and did a lot of playing in the living room while I was having

my breakfast.

He still hasn't let me touch him, though. I really want that for two

reasons - the obvious one, and the fact that his claws are getting long

enough to need trimming. No way I could trim them now. I hope he lets

me touch him, then gets used to it, soon, so I can trim them.

Joy

--

Joy Unlimited

Colorful Crocheted Critters

Photos at http://www.PictureTrail.com/joy9

how do you trim them? Toci

If the cat (whichever one it is) will let me, I trim them with nail
clippers. Otherwise I let the vet or groomer do it. I'd rather save
the money and the trauma for the cat if I can manage to do it myself.

Joy

Old September 3rd 14, 02:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

wrote:

On 8/31/2014 3:22 PM, Joy wrote:

[...]

I suspect, carefully.......

LOL! True, and sometimes just one or two at a time.

Joy

Old September 3rd 14, 02:45 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
toci

wrote:

On 8/31/2014 3:22 PM, Joy wrote:

[...]

I may try it. Felix scratches everywhere but his (three) scratching posts, and that includes my abdomen.

toci

Old September 3rd 14, 06:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

wrote:

On 8/31/2014 3:22 PM, Joy wrote:

[...]

I've had cats who didn't seem to mind my trimming their claws, but
others object. Sometimes it helps to wrap the cat in a towel, allowing
just the head and one paw at a time out of the wrapping.

Joy

Old September 3rd 14, 12:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jane[_3_]

On Tuesday, September 2, 2014 9:27:46 PM UTC-4, Joy wrote:
If the cat (whichever one it is) will let me, I trim them with nail
clippers. Otherwise I let the vet or groomer do it. I'd rather save
the money and the trauma for the cat if I can manage to do it myself.
Joy

I use nail clippers on the Princess Rita, too. I grab her and flip her upside down, then grab the clippers and clip as fast as I can. I don't usually have to hold her tighter until near the end of the 2nd paw. Then I give her treats. She's beginning to associate the clipping with treats, so it's not as bad as it was.

Jane
- owned and operated by the Princess Rita
Old September 3rd 14, 02:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

On Tue, 02 Sep 2014 17:24:17 -0700, Joy wrote:

He still hasn't let me touch him, though. I really want that for two
reasons - the obvious one, and the fact that his claws are getting long
enough to need trimming. No way I could trim them now. I hope he lets
me touch him, then gets used to it, soon, so I can trim them.

Joy

I almost never trim the claws of my three cats. I have plenty of
scratchy things around for them, and they go in the backyard and are
doing a decent job carving their initials into the wood table legs out
there. I do look at their claws once in a while just to make sure that
they aren't having issues with them, but they seem to have it under
control.

Of course they are very sharp and once in a while I get the point, but
always by accident and never serious.
Old September 7th 14, 05:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Joy" wrote in message
"Joy" wrote in message
[...]

glad to hear he's coming around to realise it was the best day of his
life
when you adopted him.
Tweed

Thank you.

--
Joy Unlimited
Colorful Crocheted Critters

He's doing well; it took four months for me to get Boyfie inside the house
and he was only about 8 months old then. A further few years when I could
shut the back door so he could get out out at all times if he panicked.
Which he used to do if I approached him even though he obviously wasn't
feral with his posh collar on. He'd gone missing perhaps at that vital age
for socialisation, and he's never recovered from that.
He is afraid if anyone comes to the house, even if they are people he might
know, he dashes for the hills if the doorbell rings.
If I know it's Simon or Claire at the door, I insist he confronts his fear,
otherwise I let him out. He doesn't have to be nice to the gas-men.
Tweed

Photos at http://www.PictureTrail.com/joy9