Boyfie's weight

Old August 9th 15, 04:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default Boyfie's weight

I have weighed him on Claire's scales, which she says are correct, but as
Mary L rightly says, they are not the same scales he was weighed on at the
vet's so I won't know for sure until I weigh him again in a few days.
I knew already he had gained weight just by the feel of his body when I
stroked him. At the vet, a week last Thursday, he weighed 3.89 kg down from
4.6 kg this time last year. Today he weighed 4.3 kg on the scales I have.

This is what he now gets to eat every day: 100g of Whiskas wet for breakfast
(with a bowl of dry to snack on) About 2.30 pm, an 85g foil pack of Sheba
wet plus a fill up of dry to last him for those "I could just eat something"
moments during the afternoon and evening. At 10pm, a 50g pouch of Sheba
wet, plus enough dry to last all night should he get the 3 a.m. munchies.

If my scales are to be trusted, he's had a spectacular weight gain of around
1lb in a couple of weeks. I'm going to continue his new diet until he gets
to maybe 4.7kg and then reduce it, juggle it, so he maintains around that.
Any more and he will be fat.
If this works, I think my theory about extreme anxiety about the bullying is
right. Plus I was feeding him on senior food recently, with the best
intentions without knowing I was reducing his calories. Maybe he doesn't
need a thyroidectomy :-))
If it doesn't work, Alison-the-vet will see him again for blood tests.
He still isn't quite himself re running and jumping. I have my eye on that.
I think he got more injured in that fight than he let on.
Anyway, atm, he is much better - he's out looking around the place having
stuffed himself with Sheba.

Thank you all very much for your advice and good wishes. I'm very hopeful
for him now.

Tweed

Old August 9th 15, 07:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

On 8/9/2015 10:55 AM, Christina Websell wrote:
[...]

Sounds great! I hope to read more good news when you post an update.
Incidentally, I keep a spreadsheet where I post weights (plus time of
weighing) on a monthly basis. I started doing that when Holly reached
15 years of age. She had not lost weight yet, but my vet warned me that
cats typically lose weight as they get older, usually start at about 13
years of age. Duffy has lost weight even though he has more food
available. He is about 18 years old now (could possibly be 17 years).

MaryL

Old August 9th 15, 08:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"MaryL" wrote in message
Sounds great! I hope to read more good news when you post an update.
Incidentally, I keep a spreadsheet where I post weights (plus time of
weighing) on a monthly basis. I started doing that when Holly reached 15
years of age. She had not lost weight yet, but my vet warned me that cats
typically lose weight as they get older, usually start at about 13 years
of age. Duffy has lost weight even though he has more food available. He
is about 18 years old now (could possibly be 17 years).

Kitty Farmcat lost weight when she was around 18 too. Turned out to be
renal failure, so check for that. I kept her going for a long time with a
renal diet and when she refused that, on chicken. If she even refused that,
Boyfie would bring her a collared dove. She never refused one of those.
She lived until well into her twenties.
Well, I realise that a collared dove is probably not on the menu but renal
diet and chicken is.
Hope Duffy does well. I'm kind of fond of him.

Old August 9th 15, 09:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

"MaryL" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks. All of Duffy's tests (including kidneys) came back normal, but
I went through 3 years of treatment for renal failure for Amber(RB); so
I am well aware of how important that is. TED said that Duffy is doing
remarkably well and that most cats of his age would have lost more
weight. He said if we were to compare 10 cats of his age, Duffy "would
come in #1 every time." Nevertheless, I know how important it is to
keep a close eye on his health.

MaryL

Old August 9th 15, 10:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"MaryL" wrote in message
"MaryL" wrote in message
[...]

Of course you do. Sorry.

Old August 9th 15, 10:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

"MaryL" wrote in message
"MaryL" wrote in message
[...]

No need to apologize. I appreciate the suggestions. (Of course, no
collared doves!) I think it is always a good idea to remind us of care
that our furballs need, especially as they get older.

MaryL

Old August 12th 15, 05:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jane[_3_]

On Sunday, August 9, 2015 at 5:31:14 PM UTC-4, MaryL wrote:

No need to apologize. I appreciate the suggestions. (Of course, no
collared doves!) I think it is always a good idea to remind us of care
that our furballs need, especially as they get older.

MaryL

Maybe he's already starting to pork up in preperation for wintertime. We all need a little extra bodyweight to get us through the cold times. *grin*

Jane