The meat industry

Old December 28th 03, 09:32 PM
Barb

Default The meat industry

This mad cow scare comes just about a couple weeks after the greedy meat
industry jacked its prices sky high and I heard a lot of complaints while
shopping in the supermarket.

Why would they have bought cows from Canada where they had an outbreak of
the disease?

--
Barb
I can only please one person a day.

Old December 28th 03, 09:55 PM
Sherry

This mad cow scare comes just about a couple weeks after the greedy meat
industry jacked its prices sky high and I heard a lot of complaints while
shopping in the supermarket.

I noticed that also, Barb. The cattle market here hit an all-time high this
past fall, with increases in meat at the market *and* on the hoof. I don't eat
beef anyway, but I *am* concerned about the small family farm operations who
depend on the cattle industry for their livelihood.
It just seems peculiar that the "Mad Cow" scare comes at this particular time.
Probably coincidental but it makes you wonder.

Sherry

Old December 28th 03, 11:07 PM
Joe Canuck

Barb wrote:

Why would they have bought cows from Canada where they had an outbreak of
the disease?

I wouldn't exactly call finding the disease in ONE cow an outbreak.

--
"Its the bugs that keep it running."
-Joe Canuck

Old December 28th 03, 11:41 PM
GAUBSTER2

This mad cow scare comes just about a couple weeks after the greedy meat
industry jacked its prices sky high and I heard a lot of complaints while
shopping in the supermarket.

Oh please, Barb! You sound like one of these leftists going on and on about
greedy entities. Quit being so paranoid! Haven't you been following the news?
The low carb craze has driven meat prices up! It's simple supply and demand.

Old December 29th 03, 05:45 AM
Judy

"Barb" wrote in message
This mad cow scare comes just about a couple weeks after the greedy meat
industry jacked its prices sky high and I heard a lot of complaints while
shopping in the supermarket.

Why would they have bought cows from Canada where they had an outbreak of
the disease?

The cow in question has been in the U.S. for a couple of years - long before
the outbreak (one case) in Canada this past May. The incubation period for
this disease can be years, so there would be no way of knowing if the cow
was ill until symptoms were exhibited.

What I'd like to know, but will probably never find out, is how this cow got
into the food chain in the first place, and why only after it got there, did
someone decide to raise a flag??

Judy