SKoreans clone cats that glow in the dark (link)

Old December 12th 07, 03:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ted Davis[_2_]

Default SKoreans clone cats that glow in the dark (link)

"South Korean scientists have cloned cats by manipulating a fluorescent
protein gene, a procedure which could help develop treatments for human
genetic diseases, officials said Wednesday. In a side-effect, the cloned
cats glow in the dark when exposed to ultraviolet beams.

A team of scientists led by Kong Il-keun, a cloning expert at Gyeongsang
National University, produced three cats possessing altered fluorescence
protein (RFP) genes, the Ministry of Science and Technology said."

http://www.physorg.com/news116662903.html

That can't be A Good Thing.

--
T.E.D. )

Old December 12th 07, 06:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Ted Davis wrote:

"South Korean scientists have cloned cats by manipulating a fluorescent
protein gene, a procedure which could help develop treatments for human
genetic diseases, officials said Wednesday. In a side-effect, the cloned
cats glow in the dark when exposed to ultraviolet beams.

A team of scientists led by Kong Il-keun, a cloning expert at Gyeongsang
National University, produced three cats possessing altered fluorescence
protein (RFP) genes, the Ministry of Science and Technology said."

http://www.physorg.com/news116662903.html

That can't be A Good Thing.

Why not? Haven't you ever tripped over a cat in the dark,
because it was asleep and you didn't realize it was there?
(I'm not sure how I feel about the whole concept of genetic
manipulation, but this one seems relatively harmless -
actually it would be kind of neat to have a cat who golwed
in the dark.)

Old December 12th 07, 07:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
---MIKE---

Why not? Haven't you ever tripped over
a cat in the dark, because it was
asleep and you didn't realize it was
there?

The cat only glows when exposed to ultraviolet light.

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Old December 12th 07, 08:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

hopitus wrote:

ROFL - but not really...Uhhhhh....first thing I thought of was 'the
better to find my
midnight snack in the dark kitchen w/o waking the family by snapping
on the
light!". In that area of the globe, that would be one practical use
for such a cat.
Totally gross but in-your-face true p.

But they'd also need ultraviolet lights for the cats to "work", as
others have pointed out.

Joyce

--
To send email to this address, remove the triple-X from my user name.
Old December 12th 07, 08:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ted Davis[_2_]

On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 11:52:33 -0700, EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:

Ted Davis wrote:

[...]

O yes, I've tripped over and stepped on many a cat in the dark, but I
don't think I would want to have to leave a UV lamp on all night.

--
T.E.D. )

Old December 12th 07, 11:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
---MIKE---

After a bad experience last year I use a walker when I get up during the
night. This tends to make sleeping cats move!

Old December 13th 07, 01:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ted Davis[_2_]

On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 18:21:10 -0500, ---MIKE--- wrote:

After a bad experience last year I use a walker when I get up during the
night. This tends to make sleeping cats move!

My bedroom is never very dark, except during power failures and for a few
minutes following nearby lightening: the security light on the power pole
is at that end of the house and there are four windows facing it. I have
blinds, but after I dark adapt, I can see even the darkest cat on the dark
carpet. There is also a dim night light in the back bathroom that throws
some faint glow into an otherwise darker area.

--

T.E.D. ) UMR becomes MST soon.

Old December 13th 07, 02:36 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Enfilade

1. Lightsaber Kitteh.

2. Put UV light in bedroom, never step in a hairball again.

--Fil

Would you clone your pet if possible? James Cat health & behaviour 15 September 29th 07 02:58 AM
sorry the correct cats pic link is... zaax Cat anecdotes 15 August 12th 04 01:32 PM
Company to clone cats Marie Griffiths Remove Rubbish Cat community 3 May 4th 04 02:08 AM
Clone? bewtifulfreak Cat community 11 September 5th 03 04:50 PM
The Clone is unhappy! Julie Cook Cat anecdotes 5 August 16th 03 10:56 PM