I feel like a murderer

Old July 2nd 03, 12:39 AM
TC

Default I feel like a murderer

There is nothing more difficult than having a pet put to sleep. There are
now vets that will come to your house when this becomes the only option.
Much more comforting for you and your pet. If this looks like what is best
for Godfrey, would this be an option?

Tom

--
My favorite Cat book of the moment - Jasper by Michelle Groce

Some info on Jasper: http://novellopress.org/aboutbook.asp?id=2
A review(right side of page):

http://creativeloafing.com/charlotte...rts_books.html

Old July 3rd 03, 03:22 AM
Uncle Fred

In article , "Mogie"
says...
This would be an option for Godfrey. My biggest concern is that what is best
for him be done. I'm just having a hard time figuring out what that is right
now. I've got any posts saying the kindest thing is to let him go peacefully
and a few more saying not to give up on him. Just give him more time. But
when will I know for sure if he will ever be able to regain control over his
bowls?

It's not easy to go through and it's not easy to deecide, as you
know. I think if I were to advise, and I guess I'm about to,... try to
put yourself in his place. Watch him and try to see if he's moving like
a happy cat or a sad cat. Your presence should comfort him, but how
badly does he need that comfort. I think the best way is to talk to him
and spend time with him and look into his eyes and watch for his
response. He will likely "tell you" whether he has had enough or whether
he wants to go on fighting. A look in his eyes or in his body
language...
If Godfrey tells you what he wants in this way, then you can be
sure that it would be the right thing to do.
Perhaps also, he may make demands upon you and you have to decide
whether or not you are able to fulfill his needs. Tough, tough decision,
especially for someone you love. It helps if the vet can give you some
idea of whether he'll recover or how much he'll manage to do. We cannot
make that decision for you.
When it comes down to it. You just have to do the best that you
can and trust that in the greater scheme of things, it will be good
enough.
I've had to do help a cat to the Rainbow Bridge only once. (I was
goingto do it for Patches, but he didn't make it to the vets and passed
away in my arms). Spirit was a deaf cat who told me it was her time.
When it's necessary, I like to see that the cat is held by someone the
cat loves. I like to see that those last moments together are peaceful
and loving.
So that's the best I can offer and only you and Godfrey can make
the right decision, not some guy on the internet like me who doesn't know
either of you.
All I can do is wish you both all the best and let you know that
you are not alone and many of us here on r.p.c.c. have faced the same
situation at one time or another. I am convinced that it's not the end,
when we leave, but a new beginning. If it were not so, what sense would
the universe make? It would be an absurdity if this life were all there
is. So I trust in the knowledge that we will meet again and nothing is
final. Still, you want to do what you can for the poor little fellow.
A dedcision made in love will not be "murder," either way.

--
With Warmest Regards,
Fred Williams,

remove the four "F"s when replying
Old July 3rd 03, 06:01 AM
Sylvia M

"Uncle Fred" wrote in message
[...]

I might just add, do you have the Rainbow Bridge article?
I saved it for the time that I might need it, and would post it
or send it to you in this time of need of comfort.

Sylvia

Old July 5th 03, 12:37 AM
Uncle Fred

In article , "Mogie"
says...
Talked with the vet Thursday. Unless there is a miracle before Tuesday we
are going to let Godfrey go the bridge. This is not an easy decision but I
know that Godfrey isn't happy just existing and not being able to live.
Please keep us in your prayers.

You got it. Purrrs and purrayers for Godfrey and all those who
will suffer the loss of him. You are not alone. There are many
wonderful cats who are at the bridge already and they will make him feel
at home, among them Patches, Ajax, Dutchy, Spirit, Cuddles, and Dinah all
from the house of Williams. He'll be in good company.
Spend time with him, as much as possible in the few days you have
left together. You'll never regret it.

--
With Regards,