Do You Tell Your Cats When You're Going Away?

Old May 17th 09, 04:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew[_3_]

Default Do You Tell Your Cats When You're Going Away?

I say goodbye to mine when I am going to work or out the door. Most are
already there wonder what their crazy human is doing anyways

"jmcquown" wrote in message
Every day (several times a day) for the last week I've been telling Persia
I'll be going out of town for a week (hopefully not longer). In the "old
days" the clue would have been me packing a suitcase, an activity I used
to try to hide from her. That's not happening this time since I have two
closets full of clothes back in TN.

I assure her she won't be boarded at "da smelly playce". I assure her my
neighbor will take good care of her; she'll feed her and make sure the
fountain has plenty of water and scoop the litterbox. I tell her not to
be afraid, maybe even let her *see* her. I don't know if it does any
good, but it makes me feel better Then again, she *has* been extra
clingy this week so maybe she does understand something different is about
to happen.

Do you folks do this if you're going to be gone for a few days?

Jill

Old May 17th 09, 04:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

On May 17, 8:13*am, "Matthew"
wrote:
I say goodbye to mine when I am going to work or out the door

Every morning as I'm heading for the station I say "Bye Sarsi,,,,Bye
Dunzi....Bye Dave"

(Dave has never complained about his place in the pecking order- he
knows he's lower than the cats!)

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Old May 17th 09, 04:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew[_3_]

wrote in message
On May 17, 8:13 am, "Matthew"
wrote:
I say goodbye to mine when I am going to work or out the door

Every morning as I'm heading for the station I say "Bye Sarsi,,,,Bye
Dunzi....Bye Dave"

(Dave has never complained about his place in the pecking order- he
knows he's lower than the cats!)

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

LOL poor guy but smart ;-)

Old May 17th 09, 05:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

On May 17, 8:31*am, "Matthew"
wrote:
wrote in message

On May 17, 8:13 am, "Matthew"
wrote:

I say goodbye to mine when I am going to work or out the door

Every morning as I'm heading for the station I say "Bye Sarsi,,,,Bye
Dunzi....Bye Dave"

(Dave has never complained about his place in the pecking order- he
knows he's lower than the cats!)

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

LOL *poor guy but smart ;-)

What's poor about him? I'm the one going to work....I know (Because
he tells me) once the door is shut, he gets to lie there for as long
as Sarsi wants (she gets on top of him for a good skritchie then
settles down next to him for a good snooze, she does it to me at
weekends and I ain;t gonna push her off by getting up either)

In the meantime I'm standing on a crowded tube train.......

I'd say one of us got the better deal and it wasn't me!

Old May 17th 09, 06:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew[_3_]

wrote in message
On May 17, 8:31 am, "Matthew"
wrote:
wrote in message

On May 17, 8:13 am, "Matthew"
wrote:

[...]

Sounds like a cat's life ;-)

Old May 17th 09, 09:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

On May 17, 10:04*am, "Matthew"
wrote:

Sounds like a cat's life ;-)-

Well apart from the fact that he has to cook his own meals and has to
use something other than the litter tray- you might be right!

Old May 18th 09, 12:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
LadyJane

On May 16, 12:35*pm, "jmcquown" wrote:
Every day (several times a day) for the last week I've been telling Persia
I'll be going out of town for a week (hopefully not longer). *In the "old
days" the clue would have been me packing a suitcase, an activity I used to
try to hide from her. *That's not happening this time since I have two
closets full of clothes back in TN.

I assure her she won't be boarded at "da smelly playce". *I assure her my
neighbor will take good care of her; she'll feed her and make sure the
fountain has plenty of water and scoop the litterbox. *I tell her not to be
afraid, maybe even let her *see* her. *I don't know if it does any good, but
it makes me feel better *Then again, she *has* been extra clingy this
week so maybe she does understand something different is about to happen.

Do you folks do this if you're going to be gone for a few days?

Jill

Every day when I go out, to work or anything, I say goodbye to Rita
and tell her that 'I'll be back soon'. Or 'I'll be late tonight'. If
I'm going away for a few days, I tell her that her buddy will be over
to visit soon and will keep her company. She loves her buddy (I have
a friend whose daughter is my Rita-sitter, and she's excellent at it,
too). Sometimes Rita just watches me go, and sometimes she's clingy
and tries to keep me close (by grabbing whatever part of my body is
nearest with her claws). There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason
to which day is which, though.

I miss my baby when I'm gone.

Jane
- owned and operated by the Princess Rita
Old June 9th 09, 01:49 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

[...]

If leaving for only an hour or two, we tell him "Now, you gguuaarrdd
the house".

A long trip requires subterfuge. Packing without his noticing, etc
but the morning we leave, he KNOWS. Our usual morning routine drags
on for hours, but not on leaving home day. He usually ducks under the
bed before we get out the door, so there are def. no goodbye kisses.

His sitter who comes in twice a day, has finally SEEN him - after 5
years of sitting. But to touch him will require at least another 5 or
more.

If we leave for just 36 hours or less, no sitter. I just set up three
boxes and tons of food and water.

For every day away, he howls at me for about 10.6 hours after my
return. I still haven't figured out if he's chastising or praising my
return.
Old June 9th 09, 02:22 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

wrote in message
[...]

***

They have their ways of punishing you - or even the sitter. My daughter
used to have a cat who would leave what the sitter euphemistically called
"presents" by the front door every day they were away. Skeeter (RB) would
disappear completely. I wouldn't see him for several hours after I got
home. Of course the first time she did this, I completely panicked. After
that, I expected it, so it was quite a while before I started to worry.
Somehow she knew, and just when I was getting really worried, she'd show up,
make sure I saw her, then sit at the opposite side of the room where I was,
with her back turned to me. Once she was sure I felt thoroughly snubbed,
she'd deign to let me pet her. Usually I went away for either one week or
three weeks. The last really long trip I took was four weeks. That was
long enough that she didn't do the punishment thing. I guess she was afraid
I wasn't coming back, and was so glad I did she couldn't stay away.

Joy