Recovery Pictures [OT]

Old January 4th 06, 04:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Recovery Pictures [OT]

Erin brought back some more pictures (keep in mind, these are pictures taken
*AFTER* four months of clean-up)...

Here is the latest of her own home:

http://www.possibleplaces.com/Recovery3/

Here are some pictures of the marina (with boats *STILL* stranded on land):

http://www.possibleplaces.com/Marina/ (on topic, the last three pictures
are of a cat living there)

Here are some pictures of the ninth ward (the hardest hit area in terms of
wind and storm surge damage):

http://www.possibleplaces.com/Ninth_Ward/

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old January 4th 06, 07:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"CatNipped" wrote in message
Erin brought back some more pictures (keep in mind, these are pictures
taken *AFTER* four months of clean-up)...

Here is the latest of her own home:

http://www.possibleplaces.com/Recovery3/

Looks like they're making good progress on the house. It's a shame about
the pecan tree (I LOVE pecans). Try not to worry about Brooke driving --
she'll be fine.

Here are some pictures of the marina (with boats *STILL* stranded on
land):

http://www.possibleplaces.com/Marina/ (on topic, the last three pictures
are of a cat living there)

Will they be able to refloat most of the boats or are they a total loss?

Here are some pictures of the ninth ward (the hardest hit area in terms of
wind and storm surge damage):

http://www.possibleplaces.com/Ninth_Ward/

Amazing that this is *after* 4 months of cleanup. But I saw the pictures
right after Katrina so I can believe it.
--

Sam, closely supervised by Mistletoe

Old January 5th 06, 01:45 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Sam Nash" wrote in message

"CatNipped" wrote in message
Erin brought back some more pictures (keep in mind, these are pictures
taken *AFTER* four months of clean-up)...

Here is the latest of her own home:

http://www.possibleplaces.com/Recovery3/

Looks like they're making good progress on the house. It's a shame about
the pecan tree (I LOVE pecans). Try not to worry about Brooke driving --
she'll be fine.

Yeah, I was sorry to see it go - it was there and already producing pecans
when I built the house in 1972!

Here are some pictures of the marina (with boats *STILL* stranded on
land):

http://www.possibleplaces.com/Marina/ (on topic, the last three pictures
are of a cat living there)

Will they be able to refloat most of the boats or are they a total loss?

I don't know - some of the probably sustained a lot of damage from being
knocked around in the storm surge itself.

Here are some pictures of the ninth ward (the hardest hit area in terms
of wind and storm surge damage):

http://www.possibleplaces.com/Ninth_Ward/

Amazing that this is *after* 4 months of cleanup. But I saw the pictures
right after Katrina so I can believe it.

I know. They are putting notices on houses now that they will be razed
shortly, but a group of owners has hired a lawyer and are taking the city to
court (they've already got a temporary stay). They don't want the city to
bulldoze until *they* say they are ready to have their houses bulldozed. I
can see wanting to get some things out if possible - but they have had 4
months to do so already and there is a real health hazard from leaving the
piles of rubble. Also, the city is already being stayed from massive
bulldozing because they haven't accounted yet for all the residents and
they're still finding bodies in some of the debris. They can't raze
everything until they do a proper "recovery" or else get the relatives to
sign off on it (the same as they did for the twin towers when it just became
impossible to expect to find any more remains). It's all very sad for
everyone involved.

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

Sam, closely supervised by Mistletoe

Old January 5th 06, 02:44 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On Wed 04 Jan 2006 11:09:29a, CatNipped wrote in
rec.pets.cats.anecdotes ):

Erin brought back some more pictures (keep in mind, these are
pictures taken *AFTER* four months of clean-up)...

snip

I hope you don't mind, but I saw your post earlier (from work) and
I shared the links with my boss. His wife is from N.O. and they
went down a couple of months ago for a similar clean-up job of his
MILs house. They were also sharing their home up here with a family
that moved up until they could find their own way again. So
basically, he and his wife were in your place during the last
several months. I thought he could relate to those pictures. He
sent the links to his wife.

Sort of related: The Reality channel is re-running last year's
American Idol series and one of the audition sites was the
Superdome. I think that must have been a year before Katrina.
Everyone is all cheering and going about life in NO. Just goes to
show you how fast things can go wrong.

--
Cheryl
Old January 5th 06, 03:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Cheryl" wrote in message
On Wed 04 Jan 2006 11:09:29a, CatNipped wrote in
rec.pets.cats.anecdotes ):

Erin brought back some more pictures (keep in mind, these are
pictures taken *AFTER* four months of clean-up)...

snip

I hope you don't mind, but I saw your post earlier (from work) and
I shared the links with my boss.

No problem at all - it's out there for the whole world to see.

His wife is from N.O. and they
went down a couple of months ago for a similar clean-up job of his
MILs house. They were also sharing their home up here with a family
that moved up until they could find their own way again. So
basically, he and his wife were in your place during the last
several months. I thought he could relate to those pictures. He
sent the links to his wife.

Yeah, a lot of people are going through that experience! Those hundreds of
thousands of people who lost everything they had couldn't possibly have all
gotten FEMA apartments, or trailers, or other living accomodations,
especially not right away. My family are all close anyway, so didn't have
to either ask or be invited to live with us - it was just a given. But God
bless the families who took in total strangers in their hour of desperate
need - and there were hundreds of good people out there who did!

Sort of related: The Reality channel is re-running last year's
American Idol series and one of the audition sites was the
Superdome. I think that must have been a year before Katrina.
Everyone is all cheering and going about life in NO. Just goes to
show you how fast things can go wrong.

I know. We're still reeling. It's amazing the everyday things we take for
granted that can suddenly just be taken away - not to mention our very lives
(sad to say there are still thousands of missing persons whose bodies
haven't been recovered from the rubble yet).

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

Cheryl

Old January 5th 06, 03:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On Wed 04 Jan 2006 10:08:25p, CatNipped wrote in
rec.pets.cats.anecdotes ):

(sad to say there are still thousands of missing persons whose
bodies haven't been recovered from the rubble yet).

I just heard a report the other day that said there are still about
500 children that haven't been reunited with their parents/families.
Inconceivable and unimaginable. So horribly sad. My thoughts and
prayers go out to them all.

--
Cheryl
Old January 5th 06, 04:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Cheryl" wrote in message
On Wed 04 Jan 2006 10:08:25p, CatNipped wrote in
rec.pets.cats.anecdotes ):

(sad to say there are still thousands of missing persons whose
bodies haven't been recovered from the rubble yet).

I just heard a report the other day that said there are still about
500 children that haven't been reunited with their parents/families.
Inconceivable and unimaginable. So horribly sad. My thoughts and
prayers go out to them all.

I'd say more like unbelievable.

Pretty near all the cases I heard about even a week or so after Katrina were
more like non-custodial parents who didn't know where the heck their kids
were before the storm. Or parents of adult "children" who didn't let their
parents/families know where they were or what they were up to storm or no
storm. Plus there were kids in foster care before and after the storm
who's parents whereabouts were/are unknown. Everybody is somebody's child
and yes there are still people unaccounted for but...

Five hundred children (as in under eighteen) who were united with their
parents/families before the storm and can't find them now? I don't think
so.

Jo