[food] Cheese!

Old March 19th 06, 09:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default [food] Cheese!

Most delicious thing I've come across in a long time:

Slice haloumi cheese approx 5 mm thick (half a pencil width thick... I don't
have my metric to imperial convertor)), and pan fry in a light oil. Once its
golden brown on both sides, remove from pan and sprinkle with lime (or
lemon) juice, cracked pepper and sea salt to taste.

To *die* for, and so simple! Perfect with a glass of red.

Yowie

Old March 19th 06, 09:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Yowie wrote:

Most delicious thing I've come across in a long time:

Slice haloumi cheese approx 5 mm thick (half a pencil width thick... I don't
have my metric to imperial convertor)), and pan fry in a light oil. Once its
golden brown on both sides, remove from pan and sprinkle with lime (or
lemon) juice, cracked pepper and sea salt to taste.

To *die* for, and so simple! Perfect with a glass of red.

Oooh, lovely. Thanks for the idea Yowie :-)
Also very nice on vegetarian kebabs, BTW :-)

Deb.
--
http://www.scientific-art.com

Old March 20th 06, 02:59 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-03-19 15:16:41 -0600, "Yowie" said:

Most delicious thing I've come across in a long time:

Slice haloumi cheese approx 5 mm thick (half a pencil width thick... I
don't have my metric to imperial convertor)), and pan fry in a light
oil. Once its golden brown on both sides, remove from pan and sprinkle
with lime (or lemon) juice, cracked pepper and sea salt to taste.

To *die* for, and so simple! Perfect with a glass of red.

Yowie

Never heard of that kind of cheese but it sure sounds good.

Old March 20th 06, 04:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

it is a local cheese from the Greek isles if I am correct they have it with
all the meals
it is favored by the British and the Germans not usually by Americans due to
it can be salty plus not too many Americans like sheep's milk cheese due to
the flavor of rennent that is used in the process. Usually turns Americans
stomachs when they find out what is in it.
it is a white cheese made with goat and sheep's milk the variety I had
before was grilled with mint added. It went great on the tomatoes
sandwiches that the tour guide served us at a person's home who made the
cheese

I remember it when we spent some time over there it was near Easter. Some
interesting dish can be served it is really good with grilled cheese
sandwiches when you add chives and chopped mint to it.

Help me out Yowie here I had a sweet pastry called flauno or flaouna
something like that very distinct sweet flavor

My DW and kids about lost it when they found out what was in it

Yowie wrote:

Most delicious thing I've come across in a long time:

Slice haloumi cheese approx 5 mm thick (half a pencil width thick... I
don't have my metric to imperial convertor)), and pan fry in a light oil.
Once its golden brown on both sides, remove from pan and sprinkle with
lime (or lemon) juice, cracked pepper and sea salt to taste.

To *die* for, and so simple! Perfect with a glass of red.

Yowie

Okay. Now what's "haloumi" cheese?

Old March 20th 06, 04:26 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Deer Yowie,

Fang Yu, I likes to heer bout da CHEEZ! It is my favorite thing in da hole
wurld. I wil tell my Hoomin to get sumof dat Houdini CHEEZ. I had da FETA
but never da Houdini.

Fang Yu agin.

--
Smokey da Kat

Old March 20th 06, 07:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Smokey da Kat wrote:
Deer Yowie,

Fang Yu, I likes to heer bout da CHEEZ! It is my favorite thing in da
hole wurld. I wil tell my Hoomin to get sumof dat Houdini CHEEZ. I
had da FETA but never da Houdini.

Fang Yu agin.

My mommy sumtymes gets da stuff called da BREE and I want it! It smelz so
gud! An she gets da GOODA an it smelz gud too! And she uses it to make da
eggz...

Mommy is not nice becuz she doan giv me da CHEEZ. She says it's not gud fur
me anna DOKTOR at da smelly playce sayz I hafta eat just dis kibble. Heh...
I tryes to steal momma's food sumtymes. I's da sneaky cat But she
cotches me. I tryes to get to da kibble sometymes when it's not tyme but
she hears me openin da closet an says, "Not tyme yet!" So I go back an
hafta be da gud kitty. But then she gibs me da kitty scritches an dat feels
gud so I purr and den I go ta sleep wif mommy...

Persia

Old March 20th 06, 10:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Yowie wrote:

Most delicious thing I've come across in a long time:

Slice haloumi cheese approx 5 mm thick (half a pencil width thick... I
don't have my metric to imperial convertor)), and pan fry in a light oil.
Once its golden brown on both sides, remove from pan and sprinkle with
lime (or lemon) juice, cracked pepper and sea salt to taste.

To *die* for, and so simple! Perfect with a glass of red.

Yowie

Okay. Now what's "haloumi" cheese?

Apprantly its a Cyrpriot cheese (ie, from Cyprus) and made from goat or
sheep milk. But th eone I ate was Australian-made and made out of cow's
milk.

Guess its juat a style of cheese that doesn't melt when heated.

Yowie

Old March 20th 06, 11:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Yowie wrote:

Apprantly its a Cyrpriot cheese (ie, from Cyprus) and made from goat or
sheep milk. But th eone I ate was Australian-made and made out of cow's
milk.

Guess its juat a style of cheese that doesn't melt when heated.

Also makes your teeth squeak when you eat it ;-)

Deb.
--
http://www.scientific-art.com

Old March 20th 06, 05:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Personally give me a good old new York style extra sharp cheddar with wheat
crackers a piece of tomato a little oregano oil and chives all on top
warmed in the oven till the cheese just starts to melt

Old March 20th 06, 10:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-03-20, EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) penned:

Not MINE - I LIKE strong cheese! (Trader Joe's has a goat-milk
Gouda from time to time that's wonderful.) Thanks. I'll check TJ's
next time I go there - they carry a lot of imported cheeses (at far
less than you'd pay in "specialty" markets in the U.S.).

I will never understand why there's no Trader Joe's in Boulder. It
seems like the perfect demographic.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully